can i still do radonc- opinions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snoopyd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your stats are certainly good enough to match into radonc, but it's not just about stats in our field. Research is paramount, and people with stats lower than yours have matched in for that very reason, while people with higher than stats than yours haven't.

If you can, it would be good for you to get involved with some type of research and perhaps even a clinical rotation at your current hospital, if that's available. It will show that you've got some dedication to the field.

The research would be a priority IMO, but the clinical rotation would be helpful too given that you haven't done any rotations in the field as a medical student, and I suspect that might come up at an interview. I guess if I had to say which one is MORE important, i'd go with the research and then tell programs you did some shadowing instead (which I'm sure you could arrange somehow).

Hopefully your IM program has 1-2 elective slots where you can accomplish both of those things. If there is no academic radonc program at your hospital, maybe you could petition to do one of your electives at an outside place? Never heard of anyone doing that before, but it's worth a shot.

The ONE scenario that might work to your favor is to find out about any open spots that will be starting in July 2011. You would be eligible for those spots since you will be finishing your internship at the end of this academic year. When it comes to filling those kind of spots, programs are looking to fill the spots as much as applicants are looking to take them (generally). Even then, there may be some applicants with research experience, and that would trump your competitiveness if you have none.

In that regard, this thread may be helpful: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=520442 It looks like a newly-formed program is looking for someone out of the match in 2011 (University of MS). It's good to check the ARRO link in that thread from time to time as new spots may get added.

Last edited: