Can I still make it in an MD or DO program? Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PrehealthStudent341

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently a junior in college according to my credits, but I have 3 years left until I graduate. I am a math major, but on the pre medicine track. I am currently taking an extremely heavy course load- Organic Chemistry I, Calculus 2, General Biology, and Psych. I signed up for classes late as I was planning on transferring to a bigger university this fall, but financial circumstances did not allow that to happen. As a consequence, I got stuck with the professors that no one wanted at my current university so my classes are all much more difficult than they should be. I have a 4.0 GPA currently and have never struggled in school before while taking 16-17 hours a semester, volunteering, participating in clubs, etc. However, this semester, I am drowning with only 14 hours and am not able to be active in any clubs or organizations (or to sleep). I am very likely going to make a C in my O Chem class (which I am perfectly capable of making an A in if I just had the time to dedicate to it and my teacher wasn't such a strict grader), I am also possibly looking at a B in either Calc or Bio. I think I might be able to pull off an A in everything but O Chem if I'm lucky, and I will still have a cumulative GPA of around a 3.8-3.9. I just am unsure whether med schools will even look at me if I have a C in such an important science class? Should I retake the class, or is that even worse than accepting a C? Will any pre-professional school want me with such a grade? (I'm considering switching to Pre-Pharm or Pre-OT.) Thanks in advance.