Can i still make it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrLeaky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so to begin so heres my situation. My first year of college i was very irresponsible, rarely studied, hardly ever went to class and spent most of my time partying. This obviously has my GPA wallowing in the mud at 2.0. So far i've taken mostly Gen Ed courses which i pulled c+ to b+'s in. First semester i failed anatomy and decided to take it again along with college algebra(no idea why..) my second semester and failed both. So over the summer i completely revamped my study habits, and matured allot. Currently i am half way through the first semester of my sophomore year, retaking the classes i failed, pulling a B+ in both courses, along with some Gen Ed requirements for easy A's. Next semester is when i really hit the prereqs hard. Pharmacy is something i really want to go into, but how will having failed anatomy twice, and college algebra once look to pharm schools? Assuming i do well ( which i intend to) in the rest of my courses, will that first year still be a big turn off?

* sorry for the novel :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard about people getting Fs and still making it through pharmacy school. As long as there's an upward trend and you don't get anymore Fs from here on you should be find if your GPA is at least 3.0.

You just need to show the schools that you can take 16plus units of hard science/math classes and still get around 3.4 to be competitive.

AFter all, they want to see whether you'd succeed as a pharmacy student.

Okay so to begin so heres my situation. My first year of college i was very irresponsible, rarely studied, hardly ever went to class and spent most of my time partying. This obviously has my GPA wallowing in the mud at 2.0. So far i've taken mostly Gen Ed courses which i pulled c+ to b+'s in. First semester i failed anatomy and decided to take it again along with college algebra(no idea why..) my second semester and failed both. So over the summer i completely revamped my study habits, and matured allot. Currently i am half way through the first semester of my sophomore year, retaking the classes i failed, pulling a B+ in both courses, along with some Gen Ed requirements for easy A's. Next semester is when i really hit the prereqs hard. Pharmacy is something i really want to go into, but how will having failed anatomy twice, and college algebra once look to pharm schools? Assuming i do well ( which i intend to) in the rest of my courses, will that first year still be a big turn off?

* sorry for the novel :rolleyes:

How many semester units have you completed total? I would say a 2.0 GPA across 30 units (assuming a full year) would require an additional 40-60 units at a 4.0 GPA to make yourself look competitive again. But remember, GPA is only one part of the big picture.

Members don't see this ad :)
From 1.67 at the time of personal problems (F's, W's, multiple warnings, one suspension), and managed to pulled it to 3.0 Mark. Lots of ECs, 1 year pharm tech, and favorable Recommendation letters. Accepted. So, keep it up and follow your dream. I think that a tough way out is usually good in the long way; an easy way out is usually good in the short term ..

I like to think of it as a balance. If your gpa isnt so great make sure to excel in other areas, like the PCAT or your extracurricular activities. My gpa wasnt phenomenal, but I was on the executive board for three university organizations, a year of independent research, strong LORs, volunteer experience. When people say gpa doesnt matter THAT much, they really mean it. Try to be well rounded.

I like to think of it as a balance. If your gpa isnt so great make sure to excel in other areas, like the PCAT or your extracurricular activities. My gpa wasnt phenomenal, but I was on the executive board for three university organizations, a year of independent research, strong LORs, volunteer experience. When people say gpa doesnt matter THAT much, they really mean it. Try to be well rounded.
So what type of extracurriculars would you recommend that i get involved in for the second semester of my sophomore year? And also , heres the prereqs ill still need (pretty much all of them lol) for the schools im looking at, you think you could help me map out my last 2 1/2 years based on this? (Currently in the first semester of sophomore year) Ive tried talking to my university counselors but i feel you people with actual experience in the matter could be more helpful.
Prereqs needed :
-Pre-Calc ( pre req for calc 1)
-Calc 1
-calc 2
-Principles of Chemistry 1 & 2 ( 2 part class taken back to back over 2 semesters, pre reqs for Org chem)
-Org Chem 1 & 2 ( same as above) also at my university your supposed to take calc 1 concurrently with Org Chem 1 and likewise for Calc 2 and Org Chem 2
-Microbiology
-Physics for scientists and engineers 1 & 2 (1210 & 1220) also supposed to be taken concurrently with Calc 1 and Calc 2. ( dunno how thats gonna work....)
-Physiology
-Technical writing
and thats it, i know its allot to ask but it would be very much appreciated

You have a big hole to climb out of so I would first worry about learning the content of your prereqs very well. You need good grades and a good PCAT so make sure you are learning the material for the long term and not just cramming. If you do it right, you'll already be mostly prepared for the PCAT. But you have to follow through now.

Next, try to get pharmacy experience if you don't already have that. For ECs, research looks good and volunteer type activities help demonstrate compassion. Pick something you are interested in. If you can work your way into a leadership position in the next year or two all the better.

Your GPA is going to be on the lower side so you need to make the other parts of your application look good. First and foremost, get your grades up but try to work on the whole package too. The good news is that you have two and a half years to improve. You just need to get it done.

finish strong excel in the Pcat area and get some good LORs you can still compete. Keep the dream alive.:thumbup:

when u guys say good PCAT, whats a rough estimate of a good score. I only got a 81.

So what type of extracurriculars would you recommend that i get involved in for the second semester of my sophomore year? And also , heres the prereqs ill still need (pretty much all of them lol) for the schools im looking at, you think you could help me map out my last 2 1/2 years based on this? (Currently in the first semester of sophomore year) Ive tried talking to my university counselors but i feel you people with actual experience in the matter could be more helpful.
Prereqs needed :
-Pre-Calc ( pre req for calc 1)
-Calc 1
-calc 2
-Principles of Chemistry 1 & 2 ( 2 part class taken back to back over 2 semesters, pre reqs for Org chem)
-Org Chem 1 & 2 ( same as above) also at my university your supposed to take calc 1 concurrently with Org Chem 1 and likewise for Calc 2 and Org Chem 2
-Microbiology
-Physics for scientists and engineers 1 & 2 (1210 & 1220) also supposed to be taken concurrently with Calc 1 and Calc 2. ( dunno how thats gonna work....)
-Physiology
-Technical writing
and thats it, i know its allot to ask but it would be very much appreciated

Like the others have stated, you should do volunteer work. Nothing looks better than working pro bono. Also, leadership positions are phenomenal. Try to get involved with an organization at your school. When they have board elections, try out. At my interviews, I was asked a bunch of questions about leadership experience and pharmacy experience. You need to prove that you have the experience and determination to pursue this career path.

Give me a PM if you wanna talk more.

81 is into the competitive range, since it's in percentile.. only 19 percent of examinees had a better composite than you did.

...which translates to 75% of this forum being in that upper 19%, so don't be put off by all the ridiculously high stats you see on here; not everyone is as hardcore as these guys. 81 is competitive, but if it was your first time, I'd say study your weak area and try again. The first time I got a 3X on my quant section having taken calc I and calc II, but with no studying. Once I figured out what kinds of questions they asked and practiced doing them, I got it up to an 88 for quant.