Can independent pharmacy sell drugs/equipment for office use to a prescribers clinic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmd77:)

Reaction score
I know the law says that the pharmacy cannot fill a prescription “for office use,” but can an independent pharmacy sell injectable or oral medications to a prescriber for their office use? I would assume there would need to be a purchase order and a lot of documentation.

I had a prescriber contact me and wanted to see if this was possible, as they were curious to see if I could beat the price that he is getting from his current supplier.

I know some states have licenses to become a “Wholesale Distributor.” Could I apply to become one of those and then sell the prescriber drugs I acquired from my wholesaler (assuming that I’m able to get them cheaper than their current supplier and I could make a small profit possibly)?

I can’t seem to find information about this topic online, any input is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You can sell it but you are restricted by a certain quantity over the year based on what your volume is - I haven't worked retail in 12 years but that is what the law said when I took my MJPE