Can this be considered community service?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

h23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I participated in this one committee within a club I was also in where I served as a Financial Director and our primary goal was to organize this benefit concert for this charity to help impoverished youth in third world countries. I don't know if I should put this as Leadership since I did have a partner and I wasn't the one who was usually leading the meetings. My responsibilities mainly included raising money for the charities and coming up with new ideas for fundraisers. I would say like 80-90% of my time in the committee was spent fundraising and the other time was for meetings and such. Would you all consider this as community service since it does lead to a benefit in others despite it not being a local benefit? Please help. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say it's both leadership and community service

So I participated in this one committee within a club I was also in where I served as a Financial Director and our primary goal was to organize this benefit concert for this charity to help impoverished youth in third world countries. I don't know if I should put this as Leadership since I did have a partner and I wasn't the one who was usually leading the meetings. My responsibilities mainly included raising money for the charities and coming up with new ideas for fundraisers. I would say like 80-90% of my time in the committee was spent fundraising and the other time was for meetings and such. Would you all consider this as community service since it does lead to a benefit in others despite it not being a local benefit?
It sounds like you did all the work toward achieving the philanthropic goal, rather than delegating responsibility (unless I'm misunderstanding), so I'd call it community service, not leadership. Time in general meeting would not apply to the hourly total, unless you list it as Extracurricular, in which case all the hours and roles would apply.