Can this happen to pets, too?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Kittenmommy

Owned By Cats
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, not looking for medical advice here - just a question!

I saw this article and was really surprised, because I never even knew something like that could happen. I asked in the comments if it could happen to adults too, and a couple of medical people replied that yes, it can.

Can it happen to pets? I seriously never even knew this was a thing, so it's something new to worry about even though my pets aren't exposed to bodies of water (ponds, swimming pools, etc. - they're strictly indoors!). Still, you never know what could happen, so it's best to be prepared.

Thanks in advance!
:bow:
 
Indeed it can. Their lungs are not that dissimilar from ours, unless you're talking birds and reptiles. Foreign or excess liquid, even something as seemingly innocuous as water, can cause complications in certain cases.

Thanks! That's good to know!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"Non-cardiogenic pulmonary edema" is definitely seen in animals. Drowning, seizures, strangulation, and electrocution are the big causes that come to mind.
 
"Non-cardiogenic pulmonary edema" is definitely seen in animals. Drowning, seizures, strangulation, and electrocution are the big causes that come to mind.

Thank you! I now have more knowledge to keep my pets safe! :clap:👍