Can this hurt my "Accepted" Status?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxChick

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay here is my situation. I have been accepted to NSU COP for fall 2008 and I am already done with all my prereqs for the school. I am a junior and won’t have my bachelors before I start. But I am still taking classes. Anatomy II, Physics II, and Biochemistry. I just had my midterms last week and I am doing pretty bad in biochem right now. I have an A in the others but like I said not biochem since my teacher only gives two tests and a final. So basically my midterm was my first grade for the class. It was just horrible and most people did horribly. It was a very detailed exam on 8 chapters (proteins, carbs, lipids,….). We barely got tested on the stuff we were told to know well and lots on stuff the prof. just brushed over. There were grades in the 20’s, 30’s…..I got a 68. So I am wondering if it would hurt me if I end up not doing well in this class. I understand that schools have the right to cancel the admission that they gave you if you don’t do well in a required class. But this is not a prereq but at the same time it’s a class that you’re gonna have in pharmacy school. Plus I don’t do this bad normally. Would they think that I am slacking off because I already got in? But I am not. I am doing good in my other classes but this teacher just makes it very tough. From what I gather I can only see it getting worse in the future tests. Sorry for the long post. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Okay here is my situation. I have been accepted to NSU COP for fall 2008 and I am already done with all my prereqs for the school. I am a junior and won’t have my bachelors before I start. But I am still taking classes. Anatomy II, Physics II, and Biochemistry. I just had my midterms last week and I am doing pretty bad in biochem right now. I have an A in the others but like I said not biochem since my teacher only gives two tests and a final. So basically my midterm was my first grade for the class. It was just horrible and most people did horribly. It was a very detailed exam on 8 chapters (proteins, carbs, lipids,….). We barely got tested on the stuff we were told to know well and lots on stuff the prof. just brushed over. There were grades in the 20’s, 30’s…..I got a 68. So I am wondering if it would hurt me if I end up not doing well in this class. I understand that schools have the right to cancel the admission that they gave you if you don’t do well in a required class. But this is not a prereq but at the same time it’s a class that you’re gonna have in pharmacy school. Plus I don’t do this bad normally. Would they think that I am slacking off because I already got in? But I am not. I am doing good in my other classes but this teacher just makes it very tough. From what I gather I can only see it getting worse in the future tests. Sorry for the long post. What do you guys think?

1) Talk to the prof and get some tutoring
2) Try to get a C. You probably need to pass all your classes to keep your acceptance.

I don't think it will hurt you at all. Like you said, it's not even a pre-req. If your acceptance states that it is a "conditional acceptance," it will list the courses and other actions you need to take. Besides, most school will probably say that you only need a "C or better" on your remaining pre-reqs. Your acceptance is good as long as you meet all the requirements they set. No need to worry.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Ethyl, if it is not a pre-req class, it doesn't even matter. You can continue until drop date if you want and see how it goes. Only if you want to maintain your gpa, then drop it, otherwise get one more class under your belt and get out with a passing grade. Besides, if eveyone did bad on the test, your teacher will have to make up for it somewhere. They usually dont fail the entire class.

About the Biochem grade, that must be a common theme for Biochem courses. I took a Biochem course last semester, and the grades were horrible. The averages on tests were between 55-65%. On our first exam, it covered 10 chapters, and the other two exams we had covered about 6 or 7. Anyway, it turned out that this course was so largely curved, that the majority of the class ended up with B's better. Luckily for me, however, it was a new professor who was probably looking for tenure so he had to have good grades in the class.

Finally, my point: Talk to the professor. Go over your exam with them, and try to understand what went wrong. Ask how the grades will be determined. I know from my own experiences in more than just one course that the courses will be curved in some way even though it is not announced. If there's no hint of a curve, ace the next couple of exams :)

I agree with Ethyl, if it is not a pre-req class, it doesn't even matter. You can continue until drop date if you want and see how it goes. Only if you want to maintain your gpa, then drop it, otherwise get one more class under your belt and get out with a passing grade. Besides, if eveyone did bad on the test, your teacher will have to make up for it somewhere. They usually dont fail the entire class.

Well of course not everyone did horribly. A few scraped by with okay grades. And he's not gonna curve. He plans to give a bonus quiz on the same material soon and what ever you get on that is gonna be added to the test grade. I don't know if it will be enough. There is still one test left and then the final. We have a paper and then the lab stuff. I hope all of that will be enough so I can atleast get (never thought i'd say this) a C.

I was also accepted for this fall at NSU COP and was in the same situation, except it was A&P2. I love the class and love the material, but the only prof in my school is literally crazy, so I didn't wanna have any chances. So NSU COP told me that as long as I completed my pre-reqs, I could withdraw from the class, if it's too late for you, you'll need at least a C-. And if for any reasons you fail a class, you can still take it during the summer. I withdrew from the class and kept the book, which I'm reading. I'd suggest you to call Nova and re-confirm with them about your situation and drop the class if you can. You can always study on your own, specially if we'll have to take the class the first semester there.

I was also accepted for this fall at NSU COP and was in the same situation, except it was A&P2. I love the class and love the material, but the only prof in my school is literally crazy, so I didn't wanna have any chances. So NSU COP told me that as long as I completed my pre-reqs, I could withdraw from the class, if it's too late for you, you'll need at least a C-. And if for any reasons you fail a class, you can still take it during the summer. I withdrew from the class and kept the book, which I'm reading. I'd suggest you to call Nova and re-confirm with them about your situation and drop the class if you can. You can always study on your own, specially if we'll have to take the class the first semester there.

Just out of curiosity, do you go to FIU or MDC? I took AP2, but finished it and kept the book as well. It's an extremely important class, and considering we've had a background in it, it shouldn't be that hard when we start school in the fall. It's so hard to get ahold of anyone at Nova about the acceptance confirmation form and this is holding me back and putting me at risk with my acceptance. What an inconvenience and what luck lol...they just had to forget to include that form in my package! :laugh:

I know how you must feel! And thank god you we read this forums and keep ourselves up to date, if not, I wouldn't know about that specific form. I don't go to FIU nor MDC, at least they have options regarding professors for those classes. The only class I'm worried about is microeconomics, and that is only because I'm not interested at all in the class and can barely stand the book. I'd retake ochem all over again instead of any economics if I could :D

Currently, I am taking a biomedical stats class (the one I took as an undergrad was only 2 credits) for Nova's prereq. and a psychology class for another school's prereq. I definitely will be dropping the psych class since it is not a prereq. for Nova and I already have a B.S. so its not like I need the credits.

I would suggest dropping the Biochem class as you will be taking it as a P1. You just got into pharmacy school and you deserve a break! Sure it may benefit you to have the material fresh in your head, but if you really think the teacher is bad or the class is not structured to your liking, why go through stress you can avoid? It may seem like taking the easy way out, but just make up for it with extra effort when you take Biochem as a P1.

I know how you must feel! And thank god you we read this forums and keep ourselves up to date, if not, I wouldn't know about that specific form. I don't go to FIU nor MDC, at least they have options regarding professors for those classes. The only class I'm worried about is microeconomics, and that is only because I'm not interested at all in the class and can barely stand the book. I'd retake ochem all over again instead of any economics if I could :D

Microeconomics can be challenging depending on the professor you have. I found both macro and microeconomics to be very interesting because they provided me with a different perspective of everyday life and decision making. What I did not like in microeconomics was the graphs. Graphs are everywhere and they get more and more complicated as you study subjects beyond the scope of supply and demand, such as elasticity, consumer surplus, producer surplus, taxation, monopolies, and perfect competition. Micro, in my opinion, is more challenging than macro because it is more specific and detailed. As for organic chem, from what I've heard, we won't be seeing much of it again except for the basics such as functional groups and perhaps an understanding of nucleophiles, elctrophiles, and nucleophilie attacks...the emphasis being on charges. By the way, i'm about to send in the $1,000 check/money order. My acceptance package included a self-addressed envelope directed to HPD admissions- Monica, but not registrar. Therefore, where exactly should i send my check? I'd rather pay everything at once and not owe anything. I figure the envelope was probably originally intended for the acceptance confirmation, but since i didn't get that in the package, i'm just holding onto it for now. Did you have any envelope in your package with the address bursar or anything where you can send in your deposit/acceptance fees? Man, i feel i am so behind on everything because it seems as if i am the only person who did not get everything in the acceptance package.

Yes, my package had the same envelope and Monica, who is Tracy's assistant, is the one who collects the checks and all the paperwork, including the residency papers, not Karen. I went in person last week so I'm telling you from my experience. If you're ready to send your check just send it out to the main address for the college of pharmacy as usual, and then just write Attention: Pharmacy - Monica the way it is in the envelope, or just add the address to the envelope. I'd add delivery confirmation and tracking, just to be on the safe side. I don't know what to expect once they get the check though, I still have to send another $500 check

Yes, my package had the same envelope and Monica, who is Tracy's assistant, is the one who collects the checks and all the paperwork, including the residency papers, not Karen. I went in person last week so I'm telling you from my experience. If you're ready to send your check just send it out to the main address for the college of pharmacy as usual, and then just write Attention: Pharmacy - Monica the way it is in the envelope, or just add the address to the envelope. I'd add delivery confirmation and tracking, just to be on the safe side. I don't know what to expect once they get the check though, I still have to send another $500 check

Yea, I'm going to send the check out as soon as possible and get started on filling out my Fafsa so I can get ready for loans when the time comes. How much are you planning to borrow?

Yea, I'm going to send the check out as soon as possible and get started on filling out my Fafsa so I can get ready for loans when the time comes. How much are you planning to borrow?

I don't know yet, I could stay at my family's place in the mean time while I decide since I live at about 35 min of driving distance, but I'll probably get an apartment as soon as I can close to the school. If I were you I wouldn't get the whole amount in one loan as it will accumulate interest. Instead, go semester by semester by whatever you can get from federal loans and health profession loans through the school, and then cover the difference with private loans. Once you do a loan application once, the remaining are easy, just fill out the paperwork and fax it. But I wouldn't freak out about it yet, supposedly "many explanatory mails will follow" ... so we'll see.

I don't know yet, I could stay at my family's place in the mean time while I decide since I live at about 35 min of driving distance, but I'll probably get an apartment as soon as I can close to the school. If I were you I wouldn't get the whole amount in one loan as it will accumulate interest. Instead, go semester by semester by whatever you can get from federal loans and health profession loans through the school, and then cover the difference with private loans. Once you do a loan application once, the remaining are easy, just fill out the paperwork and fax it. But I wouldn't freak out about it yet, supposedly "many explanatory mails will follow" ... so we'll see.

Yea, i'm planning on receiving my loans semester by semester. In terms of housing, I'm simply going to live on campus in one of graduate student dorms, but will get the cheapest one available. I got ahold of Monica and Tracy today and they both told me to simply write a letter stating that I want to accept the acceptance offer and select which campus I'd like to attend. Fortunately, I was not inconvenienced with having to wait a week to receive a form by mail, considering i'm living in new york right now. As for residency, I'm in the process of making copies of important documents to verify that i'm really considered a Florida resident even if i've been in ny for the last 10 months. According to NY state law, you are not considered a resident if you haven't been here for 12 months...therefore, i must be regarded as florida resident hopefully.

Glad you were able to work it all out for the best. For the residency, I took a bunch of stuff to Karen's office I think, and all they needed at the end was copy of driver's license ( FL ) front and back, and unofficial transcripts from all colleges/universities I had attended/am attending just to prove I had been in florida ... if not, I think the income taxes for the past 3 years and something else would have been fine. You can fax all the documents to save time and money.

Did anyone hear anything about the residency status after you turned in the residency papers? I turned it in early February and haven't heard anything. Is that a problem? And I turned the papers to pharmacy admissions and not to Karen. I went and turned it in personally.

Yeah I am quoting my earlier post. The semester is done and I managed a B-. Somehow. So I am safe. Thanks everyone for all the good advice.

Okay here is my situation. I have been accepted to NSU COP for fall 2008 and I am already done with all my prereqs for the school. I am a junior and won't have my bachelors before I start. But I am still taking classes. Anatomy II, Physics II, and Biochemistry. I just had my midterms last week and I am doing pretty bad in biochem right now. I have an A in the others but like I said not biochem since my teacher only gives two tests and a final. So basically my midterm was my first grade for the class. It was just horrible and most people did horribly. It was a very detailed exam on 8 chapters (proteins, carbs, lipids,….). We barely got tested on the stuff we were told to know well and lots on stuff the prof. just brushed over. There were grades in the 20's, 30's…..I got a 68. So I am wondering if it would hurt me if I end up not doing well in this class. I understand that schools have the right to cancel the admission that they gave you if you don't do well in a required class. But this is not a prereq but at the same time it's a class that you're gonna have in pharmacy school. Plus I don't do this bad normally. Would they think that I am slacking off because I already got in? But I am not. I am doing good in my other classes but this teacher just makes it very tough. From what I gather I can only see it getting worse in the future tests. Sorry for the long post. What do you guys think?

If there were grades in the 20s and 30s, and you got a 68, why worry? Most biology professors I know in that case would give you at least a B if they use curves.

Lucky! Biochem isn't a pre-req?? I wish California pharmacy schools didn't require bch, but since they do I had to work my butt off learning all that stuff, and I still got a C in one of the series (quarter system, had to do3). You still have a shot at making your grade better, though, with that next midterm and final. Just don't cram too late for them! I only had the final exam :( which was very unsettling.

EDIT: hahah, i just read you got a B-. Congratulations for hanging in there (?) !

I think you should be lucky that you have 2 tests and a final. I only have a midterm (40% of my grade) and a final (60%) in some of my classes. If the exam is curved, then a 68 would be a high B or an A.