Can US D.O.s work outside US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaspersky

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
May or may not go back to Japan with an MD or DO degree with me if I do ever get in to either of them. I hold a residency in CA.

Members don't see this ad.

DOs have unlimited practice rights in many countries, but it doesn't look like Japan is one of them. Apparently - per another thread - it's difficult for anyone trained outside Japan to practice medicine there, regardless of degree.

EDIT: Typo

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
DOs have unlimited practice rights in many countries, but it doesn't look like Japan is not one of them. Apparently - per another thread - it's difficult for anyone trained outside Japan to practice medicine there, regardless of degree.

I'm the second generation Japanese so it's alright. Thanks for letting me know though Sempai

Members don't see this ad :)
Practice%20Rights%20Map.png

Reactions: 10 users
May or may not go back to Japan with an MD or DO degree with me if I do ever get in to either of them. I hold a residency in CA.

My parents are from Japan, I would say Japan is pretty closed to foreign doctors, this includes MDs. DOs do have practice rights in different countries. I have heard of DOs working in Canada and the UK, but other countries it all depends, also some countries have an oversupply of physicians, you also have to consider language and cultural differences that can make the practice of medicine particularly challenging.

If you are set on working in Japan, I think your interests would be better served by going to medical school in Japan. Well that is my thoughts on the matter.

Or once you become a DO, do something about it to get DOs in to Japan.