Can you get into DO school (almost) on MCAT alone?? Serious responses only.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crotchrocketer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm not looking to get flamed or down play the profession in any way. But say that an applicant has a 34+ MCAT, would that score alone be enough to gain admissions to A single school? I understand that the admissions process is quite dynamic and that DO schools have almost come to match their MD counterparts for competitiveness, but most DO schools don't see too (stressing the too) many high scores in their matriculating classes (evidence solely on ~26 average).

If you must include the rest lets just say:

3.0 GPA >
Just a check mark on the rest (LORs + ECs)

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm not looking to get flamed or down play the profession in any way. But say that an applicant has a 34+ MCAT, would that score alone be enough to gain admissions to A single school? I understand that the admissions process is quite dynamic and that DO schools have almost come to match their MD counterparts for competitiveness, but most DO schools don't see too (stressing the too) many high scores in their matriculating classes (evidence solely on ~26 average).

3.0 GPA >

Yes. I did.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow I'm almost impressed that you could obtain so many withdrawals!
OP easy answer look up the stats for the schools and compare GPA to MCAT. (Not considering LORs, ECs, and statement of course.)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling

If you meet their required gpa, yeah, you could get into most DO schools with a 35+

Oh and I only got a 33 and it was my second try. 28 the first time. So yea I'm pretty sure a 35+ would do it.

No. Even we here, who are rather over-indulgent about high MCAT scores, still need to have your GPA above our bare minin. I've seen plenty of candidates with your stats below get wait listed. To me, a high MCAT and a low GPA is a sign of a good test-taker, not necessarily a good student.

A high MCAT will propbably be of more help if you need getting pulled off of wait list to accept.

3.0 GPA >

Oh and I only got a 33 and it was my second try. 28 the first time. So yea I'm pretty sure a 35+ would do it.

haha ONLY a 33 :rolleyes:

Only to a certain point... if your GPA dips under 3.00 and especially 2.75, a 45 probably won't save you.

What's funny is that the GPA out weights the MCAT but I feel that you can get in with a high MCAT and low GPA more easily than a high GPA and low MCAT. Anyone agree?

What's funny is that the GPA out weights the MCAT but I feel that you can get in with a high MCAT and low GPA more easily than a high GPA and low MCAT. Anyone agree?

It depends how low of an MCAT or GPA we are talking about. Generally there are thresholds for how low you can go. And, in the case of GPA, someone can have a low overall (3.0) but stellar recent and relevant grades (3.7+) and this type of case probably accounts for most low gpa acceptances. They will be viewed differently than someone who always hovered around a 3.0.

This is much different than a 21 on the MCAT, which shows no recent or relevant evidence to indicate an aptitude for taking the boards. A better comparison to the low gpa example would be someone who got a 21, 23, then a 28. Their overall average is a 24, on the low end of acceptable for most schools, but the recent performance was decent with a 28.

The lower threshold for GPA is typically 2.75-3.25 depending on the school and 22-27 for the MCAT (~30 at some allo schools). Generally, if you are not beyond the threshold for GPA no MCAT will save you, and if you are not beyond the MCAT threshold no GPA will save you.

I think that as long as you have a 3.0+ c/sGPA and a 32+ MCAT, you have the potential to get into a DO school. Also, your location matters. If you're from Cali, like myself, then enjoy the complimentary kick to the groin.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that as long as you have a 3.0+ c/sGPA and a 32+ MCAT, you have the potential to get into a DO school. Also, your location matters. If you're from Cali, like myself, then enjoy the complimentary kick to the groin.

How about NY?

32+ ? That's more of an M.D score isn't it? I thought D.O was mid to high 20s and maybe even the lower 20s.

32+ ? That's more of an M.D score isn't it? I thought D.O was mid to high 20s and maybe even the lower 20s.

With a gpa as low as 3.0 you'll need quite the MCAT score to compensate. I have nearly a 3.3 and >32 and I was still outright rejected from CCOM.

Median DO is like 3.6/26. Drop six gpa LizzyM points and you'll need to add at least 6 MCAT LizzyM points since GPA is typically more heavily weighed.

What would be a decent score for someone who has a 3.7 GPA. Like what's the lowest one could get on the MCAT and still have a chance at D.O with that GPA.

What would be a decent score for someone who has a 3.7 GPA. Like what's the lowest one could get on the MCAT and still have a chance at D.O with that GPA.

I've heard most schools cut off at 24. It really isn't that difficult to score in the high 20s though.

I've heard most schools cut off at 24. It really isn't that difficult to score in the high 20s though.

Scoring in the high 20s for some people would be like you leaning social grace. (ie nearly impossible ;) )

I know plenty of people who have to work really hard to get mid to high 20s, and who will end up as great physicians. Your comment, like many others, is inaccurate and insensitive to them.

Scoring in the high 20s for some people would be like you leaning social grace. (ie nearly impossible ;) )

I know plenty of people who have to work really hard to get mid to high 20s, and who will end up as great physicians. Your comment, like many others, is inaccurate and insensitive to them.

Most every comment will be insensitive to some group of people. The average score on the MCAT is a 25.1. Most people would call a "C" an average grade. It isn't hard to be above average imo.

:)

Last edited:
My brother died right before my MCAT and I got a 24. I had a 3.78 GPA and I got 2 acceptances, 1 waitlist and 8 other DO interviews. Denied from all MD schools though..so it's possible. If I retook, like MedPR said its really easy to get a high 20s score but I don't want to relive that chapter of my life. Moral of the story, its possible.

No man. It's very very hard to get mid to high 20s and it's insensitive to say otherwise.

Lol...if it was easy to be above average, more people would do it amirite ;)

I get what you are trying to say though...but just saying :p

No man. It's very very hard to get mid to high 20s and it's insensitive to say otherwise.

Don't let it get to ya... ;) someone has to call out your BS every now and again.

Now, what's easy it's getting is getting 30+. Or I mean, 32+. No wait, 35+ is pretty easy to get.

Don't let it get to ya... ;) someone has to call out your BS every now and again.

Now, what's easy it's getting is getting 30+. Or I mean, 32+. No wait, 35+ is pretty easy to get.

It's not bs that getting high 20s isn't "very difficult". If it was, then the average applicant wouldn't have a 28 and the median matriculants wouldn't have a 32.

It's fair to think it's hard, but statistically getting 2-3 higher than the average of all test takers shouldn't be very hard.

First of all.. woman. Second of all.. I guess we have varying opinions.. you get out what you put in theres only so much content you can learn, if you are a premed you are obviously above the curve when it comes to content, but its work. a lot of work and you get out what you put in.

Im not sure why you always go against me MedPR, but I am most definitely not insensitive and that actually offends me a bit. owelll.

First of all.. woman. Second of all.. I guess we have varying opinions.. you get out what you put in theres only so much content you can learn, if you are a premed you are obviously above the curve when it comes to content, but its work. a lot of work and you get out what you put in.

Im not sure why you always go against me MedPR, but I am most definitely not insensitive and that actually offends me a bit. owelll.

I was being sarcastic. You must not have seen the posts at the bottom of the previous page.

I'm on your side. I don't think its insensitive to say a high 20 isn't very hard to achieve. Others do. :thumbup:

I was being sarcastic. You must not have seen the posts at the bottom of the previous page.

I'm on your side. I don't think its insensitive to say a high 20 isn't very hard to achieve. Others do. :thumbup:

... Im not one to catch sarcasm over the internet or texts. my bf trolls me all the time. lol.

I wouldn't say insensitive is the right word, but I do see the shock value in it. The average applicant gets a 28, but that's far from the average person who sits down and takes the MCAT. There are people who wish to break a 25, and some who are naturally smart to walk in and get a 35 with no effort :O

... Im not one to catch sarcasm over the internet or texts. my bf trolls me all the time. lol.

Also my apologies. I didn't know you were female. And if I did, I forgot. I certainly won't forget again.

It's not bs that getting high 20s isn't "very difficult". If it was, then the average applicant wouldn't have a 28 and the median matriculants wouldn't have a 32.

It's fair to think it's hard, but statistically getting 2-3 higher than the average of all test takers shouldn't be very hard.

I'd say the average applicant would say the MCAT was hard. I know you're trying hard to stick to your guns here, but you picked the wrong word.

The way one expresses themselves can influence how likely it is for their patient to trust them, as well as follow their advice. If you told your obese patient that they just need to loose 25 lbs, "it's easy", you'd obviously loose their business and respect.

Edit: Forgot I'm supposed to be new medpr.

Last edited:

Nope. 3.65/25 here. Had 2 interviews, 1 acceptance (possibly 2, the letter is in the mail). I just declined an interview invite yesterday. And it's just getting started because I was complete later then I would have liked. Already accepted at the my top choice though, so I'm done with the cycle.

Nope. 3.65/25 here. Had 2 interviews, 1 acceptance (possibly 2, the letter is in the mail). I just declined an interview invite yesterday. And it's just getting started because I was complete later then I would have liked. Already accepted at the my top choice though, so I'm done with the cycle.

You don't have a low MCAT though. At least not for DO.

You don't have a low MCAT though. At least not for DO.

Maybe not low, but definitely lower. I had the lowest score in the room at my WV interview, and one of the lower scores at Erie.

Maybe not low, but definitely lower. I had the lowest score in the room at my WV interview, and one of the lower scores at Erie.

Do you actually talk about your MCAT score with other interviewees?