You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
can you get into med school with a 28-29 MCAT score???
Started by dondon
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Yes. You can get in with a 28.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, you can get in with a 29.
can you get into med school in the US with a 28-29 on your MCAT????
do you have to get that 30???
I don't know...it doesn't seem like anybody here has below a 30, and SDN represents the ENTIRE matriculant population. 😉
can you get into med school in the US with a 28-29 on your MCAT????
do you have to get that 30???
Of course. Remember, 30 is the average for matriculants, which means fully half of the people accepted had a 29 or lower.
Of course. Remember, 30 is the average for matriculants, which means fully half of the people accepted had a 29 or lower.
Er, that actually doesn't mean that. At least, if I remember anything from statistics...one would need to examine the median MCAT, and I think 30 is the mean score. I think.
To the OP: Yes, you can, but if you think you can improve your score by retaking, by all means do so.
can you get into med school in the US with a 28-29 on your MCAT????
do you have to get that 30???
Yes, you can definately get in w/a 28-29. The least competitive choice for you would probably be DO school, but if you're dead set on having an MD, it is doable. I know 2 guys from my undergrad that got 29's. One had his choice of about 5 MD schools (including UNC, which is pretty competitive). The other also had no problem getting in (albeit he had just finished his masters in molecular biology). If you think you can improve 5-6 points and are really looking for allopathic, it may be worthwhile to take it again if that's the only thing holding you back. If there's a chance that you'll do worse, I wouldn't recommend taking it. I don't know what the rest of your application looks like, but many say that MCAT + GPA gets your foot in the door, and it's the rest of your application that gets you in. It may not be a bad idea for you to check out DO schools, their philosophy, etc. and see if that's something you'd be interested in.
4
45408
Definitely. Plenty of my friends from undergrad did just that.can you get into med school in the US with a 28-29 on your MCAT????
do you have to get that 30???
Of course. Remember, 30 is the average for matriculants, which means fully half of the people accepted had a 29 or lower.
Umm...No. The Median is when half of the people score above or below a number. The average is just the total of the scores divided by how many scores there were.
can you get into med school in the US with a 28-29 on your MCAT????
do you have to get that 30???
Yes you can. I got in this year with a 29P.
it's also possible with a 27.
Umm...No. The Median is when half of the people score above or below a number. The average is just the total of the scores divided by how many scores there were.
The figure you guys are looking for is the "mode", which is the most frequently achieved score. There can be more than one mode for any group of numbers.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The figure you guys are looking for is the "mode", which is the most frequently achieved score. There can be more than one mode for any group of numbers.
There was this kid who went to highschool with me. He wore these glasses with thick black plastic rims and hiked his pants up above his belly button. He walked very quickly and would hug the wall, looking straight down at the carpet ahead of him to avoid eye contact. Everyone thought he must be brilliant because he was such a stereotypical nerd. Funny thing though, I ran into him years later, when he was working as a guard for a security firm called 'two-star security'.
I personally know someone who got into a US allo school with a 23. 😱
C
Critical Mass
I personally know someone who got into a US allo school with a 23. 😱
My school has gone down to a 24 before, but it's usually to include URM's or something like that.
Typically a 30 at my school for an in-state applicant is good-to-go. Waitlist is usually 26-28ish.
The answer to your question depends completely on where you live. I doubt that many folks in Cali or Washington would agree that a sub-30 MCAT is acceptable for admission.
for the purposes of this thread:
280 first time
29Q second time
this cycle:
11 MD interviews offered
2 acceptances and the rest are combinations of WL, a bunch i'm still waiting to hear from since i'm on post-int hold, and declined a few)
I applied in June, I had taken the MCAT for the previous cycle...vastly improved my AMCAS essays...all of them, not just PS
soo....yea...of course it's possible, and probably not as hard as people make it seem. in no way is MD a long shot as long as you have good experiences/gpa/application
280 first time
29Q second time
this cycle:
11 MD interviews offered
2 acceptances and the rest are combinations of WL, a bunch i'm still waiting to hear from since i'm on post-int hold, and declined a few)
I applied in June, I had taken the MCAT for the previous cycle...vastly improved my AMCAS essays...all of them, not just PS
soo....yea...of course it's possible, and probably not as hard as people make it seem. in no way is MD a long shot as long as you have good experiences/gpa/application
Yeah, I got accepted to 4 schools after being on their waiting list with a 29 overall score. But this was a few years ago. I still think a 29 is good, especially if your extra curriculars and GPA are solid (3.5 or higher).
But on the flip side of the token, I was scared about not having that 30. I underestimated the verbal. Don't underestimate the verbal.
But on the flip side of the token, I was scared about not having that 30. I underestimated the verbal. Don't underestimate the verbal.
My school has gone down to a 24 before, but it's usually to include URM's or something like that.
Typically a 30 at my school for an in-state applicant is good-to-go. Waitlist is usually 26-28ish.
The answer to your question depends completely on where you live. I doubt that many folks in Cali or Washington would agree that a sub-30 MCAT is acceptable for admission.
24 is ridiculous. Talk about underqualified.
I had a 28N and am an M1. I also only applied to 4 allo and 1 osteo. 3 interviews and two acceptances.
As with anything, you can't plan on this working out for you (i.e. thinking because some people got in with a 28 or lower means that you will have the same experience) but it certainly is possible and probably happens a lot more than is shown on SDN.
As with anything, you can't plan on this working out for you (i.e. thinking because some people got in with a 28 or lower means that you will have the same experience) but it certainly is possible and probably happens a lot more than is shown on SDN.
thanks for the quick replies!
Im just getting upper 20's on my practice MCATs and I'm taking the real thing in 2 weeks... so I was kind of freaking out...
I feel a little better now.
Speaking from experience with this exam, just go in there and do your best. Don't worry so much about your practice scores because you may improve by a number of pts or dec. a little bit depending on that test and that day. Nobody can tell you that you will or will not get in with X score because this process is so tight with the number of applicants.
Umm...No. The Median is when half of the people score above or below a number. The average is just the total of the scores divided by how many scores there were.
Sorry for the misspeak OP, but considering such a large pool of applicants it comes to nearly the same thing. The median is probably slightly higher but still fairly close to 30.
Yes, I know people who got into decent and good programs in Midwest with below 30 MCATs. I applied to 9 schools(late summer/early fall) and already got into 2 and still waiting on 4 with a 29 and a 3.9 (didn't feel the need to retake it and waste a summer 'cause I knew I could get in) So it's doable, but you don't want to have all stats be below average, make ECs, personal statement, GPA offset a lower MCAT score and don't wait until the last moment to beat the deadline, apply early
Yup, 28 R and I am in.
I don't know...it doesn't seem like anybody here has below a 30, and SDN represents the ENTIRE matriculant population. 😉

It's all about a balance. I have a 32 MCAT but it seems that I didn't get much of a shot at any of the allo schools due to my 3.25 GPA.
If your total package is solid, you will get into an allopathic medical school if you apply broadly. Someone with a 28+ MCAT combined with a 3.5+ GPA is very likely to gain admission. You can increase one and lower the other slightly, but the overall package must appear strong. I suspect that 3.25 was low enough to raise some red flags. An educated guess from watching this cycle would be that, in general, you start to get into the red when scores are less than 27 MCAT or 3.4 GPA. Up until those cutoffs, it seems as though there is wiggle room -- GPA can offset MCAT and vice versa.
By the way, I was taking Kaplan and was scoring consistent 29s on the full-length exams. Test day saw a 3-point jump.
Best of luck.
If your total package is solid, you will get into an allopathic medical school if you apply broadly. Someone with a 28+ MCAT combined with a 3.5+ GPA is very likely to gain admission. You can increase one and lower the other slightly, but the overall package must appear strong. I suspect that 3.25 was low enough to raise some red flags. An educated guess from watching this cycle would be that, in general, you start to get into the red when scores are less than 27 MCAT or 3.4 GPA. Up until those cutoffs, it seems as though there is wiggle room -- GPA can offset MCAT and vice versa.
By the way, I was taking Kaplan and was scoring consistent 29s on the full-length exams. Test day saw a 3-point jump.
Best of luck.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got a 29P, and I'm in to an allopathic school (and I am a non-trad non-URM).
C
Critical Mass
24 is ridiculous. Talk about underqualified.
Well I won't mention some of the numbers for osteo schools I'm familiar with then. The USMLE will weed out if people can't pass in any case.
As to the low bar, it's called "People/doctors don't want to move here to practice, so we'll instead try to recruit from within." Best advice for allo school admissions--move to the reddest state you can find. You'll turn that "not even interviewed" status to "interviewed, accepted" in no time.
Well I won't mention some of the numbers for osteo schools I'm familiar with then. The USMLE will weed out if people can't pass in any case.
As to the low bar, it's called "People/doctors don't want to move here to practice, so we'll take what we can get." Best advice for allo school admissions--move to the reddest state you can find. You'll turn that "not even interviewed" status to "interviewed, accepted" in no time.
hahaha darnit, why'd my parents have to raise me in the bluest state u can find....
There's more to the eye than numbers. I had a 29 MCAT and only ONE allo interview. Not even my state school. There are lots of other factors - your state of residence (CA is tough - so are a few others), your MCAT, your ECs, your LORs, and other things you can't change (your age, your race, etc.).
Just the 29 MCAT won't save your skin here if all you're interested in is allo schools.
Just the 29 MCAT won't save your skin here if all you're interested in is allo schools.
C
Critical Mass
hahaha darnit, why'd my parents have to raise me in the bluest state u can find....
redsoxfan, you don't live in Massachusetts, do ya? Man the schools up there draw thousands of applications! Does anybody know if BU has hit 10K yet?
Seems like the last time I checked, Mississippi had ~225 applicants for 100 spots and only let state residents in. Toss in the fact that the tuition was sub 10K as of a couple of years ago, and it would seem to be the ideal place to raise a wannabe doc.
Contrast with UW (also in a state with only one school)-160ish slots for ~950 resident applicants.
The best thing that you can do to get into med school is live in a place that needs doctors.
Sorry for the misspeak OP, but considering such a large pool of applicants it comes to nearly the same thing. The median is probably slightly higher but still fairly close to 30.
Actually, I would GUESS that the median is below 30 (or whatever a school's given average is). My reasoning is that at any given school, people with above the school's average MCAT get in regardless of their score (so, you have 39, 40, etc pulling up the average), but people don't typically get in with 21, 20, etc. Instead, I would expect to see some people at the high range MCAT score, with many people above the average, but then I would expect a whole lot of people within a couple below the average MCAT (or something like that-I don't have any exact numbers). Does my reasoning make sense?
If not, try plugging in your own made up numbers and calculating a mean and median-my major assumption is that people below some score almost never get in. I think this is valid since.......like, I guess 2% of students get 19 or below (since 37 is 98 percentile and both are 9 away from mean of 28), but while about 100% of 37's get in, about 0% of 19's get in.).
redsoxfan, you don't live in Massachusetts, do ya? Man the schools up there draw thousands of applications! Does anybody know if BU has hit 10K yet?
Seems like the last time I checked, Mississippi had ~225 applicants for 100 spots and only let state residents in. Toss in the fact that the tuition was sub 10K as of a couple of years ago, and it would seem to be the ideal place to raise a wannabe doc.
Contrast with UW (also in a state with only one school)-160ish slots for ~950 resident applicants.
The best thing that you can do to get into med school is live in a place that needs doctors.
i do indeed hail from MA and sadly yes BU has reached 10,000 apps and UMass's avg MCAT is I think 33 (i only have a 31). if i had to do it all over again, aside from having a higher undergrad gpa, i would consider obtaining out of state residency, since mine has shown me no love...
This thread is making me sad. I didn't get in this year. I have a 29R, excellent GPA, good EC's and I think I have a well written PS. Maybe I just didn't apply to the right schools. I applied early and was complete everywhere in August. Now, I think I'm going to have to take the MCAT again so I have a better chance. In sum, it is possible, but it'd probably be easier with a higher score.
It depends on multiple factors:
1. If you are a minority with those stats and a descent GPA(3.5 or above), you might even get into an Ivy or top tier school: Witness this BS: http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=34
2. If you live in a state with a shortage of doctors, such as Alabama, Kansas, and etc, their schools have lower standards for acceptance relative to the UCs and SUNYs.
3. Extracurricular activities can make a difference as well.
4. LORs and personal statements
-batman1983
1. If you are a minority with those stats and a descent GPA(3.5 or above), you might even get into an Ivy or top tier school: Witness this BS: http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=34
2. If you live in a state with a shortage of doctors, such as Alabama, Kansas, and etc, their schools have lower standards for acceptance relative to the UCs and SUNYs.
3. Extracurricular activities can make a difference as well.
4. LORs and personal statements
-batman1983
C
Critical Mass
This thread is making me sad. I didn't get in this year. I have a 29R, excellent GPA, good EC's and I think I have a well written PS. Maybe I just didn't apply to the right schools. I applied early and was complete everywhere in August. Now, I think I'm going to have to take the MCAT again so I have a better chance. In sum, it is possible, but it'd probably be easier with a higher score.
Your location says it all.
I think that Dre and Tupac got it right in '95...
"Now let me welcome everybody to the wild, wild west
A state that's untouchable like Elliot Ness
The track hits ya eardrum like a slug to ya chest
Pack a vest for your Jimmy in the city of sex
We in that sunshine state with a bomb ass hemp beat
The state where ya never find a dance floor empty
And pimps be on a mission for them greens
Lean mean money-makin-machines servin fiends
I been in the game for ten years makin rap tunes
Ever since honeys was wearin sassoon
Now it's '95 and they clock me and watch me
Diamonds shinin lookin like I robbed Liberace
It's all good, from Diego to tha Bay
Your city is tha bomb if your city makin pay
Throw up a finger if ya feel the same way
Dre puttin it down for
Californ-i-a"
"Out on bail fresh outta jail, California dreamin
Soon as I stepped on the scene, I'm hearin hoochies screamin
Fiendin for money and alcohol
The life of a west side playa where cowards die and its all ball
Only in Cali where we riot not rally to live and die
In L.A. we wearin Chucks not Ballies (that's right)
Dressed in Locs and khaki suits and ride is what we do
Flossin but have caution we collide with other crews
Famous because we program worldwide
Let'em recognize from Long Beach to Rosecrans
Bumpin and grindin like a slow jam, it's west side
So you know the row won't bow down to no man
Say what you say
But give me that bomb beat from Dre
Let me serenade the streets of L.A.
From Oakland to Sacktown
The Bay Area and back down
Cali is where they put they mack down
Give me love!"
LifetimeDoc had the same issue.
🙂batman--I'm from Kansas and also interviewed at UAB. True, both give about 50/50 odds of acceptance for in-staters due to demand, but that's about the only similarity between the schools. I have some colleagues who would prefer that you substitute the term "lower standards" with "different emphases." I used to wonder why the midwest state schools didn't just fill with 30+ MCAT blue state rejects and make a pretty penny off of the added oos tuition, but I think that the lower standards are imposed upon them by their state legislatures.
Nice one about CA and sorry about the terminology for Kansas and UAB. I totally agree with you about Kansas and UAB, both are great schools. I have heard many great things about UAB in particular. But, public schools always want to have a preference for instate candidate because their taxes pay for the school and they are more likely to state in the state after school. Unfortunately, I live in CA, where the is lots of competition for the UCs(according to what I heard, its due to a disproportionate amount apply of residents apply relative to the number of medical schools, would appreciate it if someone could verify that). If I was from Alabama or Kansas, I would go to either school in a heartbeat.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OP, I just got in to an allo school with a 29P, so you can do it. You just need to have a nice well rounded application, because contrary to SDN wisdom, there are more factors in med school admissions than your GPA and MCAT. I had 3 interviews total, so don't sweat the MCAT unless you don't get any interviews at all, then you might reconsider retaking.
C
Critical Mass
Nice one about CA and sorry about the terminology for Kansas and UAB. I totally agree with you about Kansas and UAB, both are great schools. I have heard many great things about UAB in particular. But, public schools always want to have a preference for instate candidate because their taxes pay for the school and they are more likely to state in the state after school. Unfortunately, I live in CA, where the is lots of competition for the UCs(according to what I heard, its due to a disproportionate amount apply of residents apply relative to the number of medical schools, would appreciate it if someone could verify that). If I was from Alabama or Kansas, I would go to either school in a heartbeat.
Much respek. 👍
Yeah I can verify what you say about Cali, and I know a few west coast natives who have gotten into Kansas (though more commonly places like SLU) but not their home state as a result of your correct reasoning.
MSAR data supports the following for Californ-I-A... 2,500 to 5,000 resident applications at each state med school for 70-120 slots apiece. As a result, typical MCAT medians at the Cali houses are 10-11-11 (Irvine, Davis) or 11-12-12 (LA, SD, SF). Tough odds.

can you get into med school in the US with a 28-29 on your MCAT????
do you have to get that 30???
NM, x'd out sarcasm.
So I got a 24Q because I took it in Sophomore year. I do research in NYHQ hospital and have good LOR's and Ec but lets say I get a 29 only in April would I still have a chance or would I need above 30 to have a chance due to the previous score.
The first time I took the MCAT (April) i got a 24Q and was very disappointed. I took the MCAT again in August and got a 27R, still pretty disappointing but at least it was an improvement. I applied to only two US allopathic schools (not smart) but was accepted to one and placed on the high tier waitlist at the other (was told I will be offered an acceptance because I am that high on the list). I had good EC's and an excellent GPA. I think there are many factors that help in getting accepted and the MCAT is just one of them (but it is a major one). You should take the MCAT again and do the best you can, I am a firm believer that you don't have to have a 30 to get in but you will need something to off set a lower score (such as a great GPA). Best of luck to you!
to the OP, I found the real MCAT easier than the practice tests. My real score was 3 points higher than my best practice test. So hammer hard for the next two weeks on your weakest subject and don't worry. If you're getting high 20s on the practice breaking thirty on the real deal def possible.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 32
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 399