Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

can you get into med school with a 28-29 MCAT score???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by dondon, Mar 23, 2007.

1. dondon

can you get into med school in the US with a 28-29 on your MCAT????

do you have to get that 30???

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lsumedgirl

lsumedgirl Livin' the dream!

Medical Student
    Yes. You can get in with a 28.

vs127739 likes this.
  4. OncDoc19

OncDoc19 MS4

Medical Student
    Yes, its definately possible. For DO schools you probably won't have any problem. For allo schools you will need to offset a below average MCAT with a good GPA, extensive ECs, a well-written personal statement and an early application (June!).

5. MoonDoggie

MoonDoggie \o_o/

Medical Student
    Yes, you can get in with a 29.

6. instigata

Medical Student
    I don't know...it doesn't seem like anybody here has below a 30, and SDN represents the ENTIRE matriculant population. ;)

7. Droopy Snoopy

Resident [Any Field]
    Of course. Remember, 30 is the average for matriculants, which means fully half of the people accepted had a 29 or lower.

8. QuakerPreMed

Er, that actually doesn't mean that. At least, if I remember anything from statistics...one would need to examine the median MCAT, and I think 30 is the mean score. I think.

To the OP: Yes, you can, but if you think you can improve your score by retaking, by all means do so.

9. TheEleventhReel

TheEleventhReel Dinkin flicka

Medical Student
    Yes, you can definately get in w/a 28-29. The least competitive choice for you would probably be DO school, but if you're dead set on having an MD, it is doable. I know 2 guys from my undergrad that got 29's. One had his choice of about 5 MD schools (including UNC, which is pretty competitive). The other also had no problem getting in (albeit he had just finished his masters in molecular biology). If you think you can improve 5-6 points and are really looking for allopathic, it may be worthwhile to take it again if that's the only thing holding you back. If there's a chance that you'll do worse, I wouldn't recommend taking it. I don't know what the rest of your application looks like, but many say that MCAT + GPA gets your foot in the door, and it's the rest of your application that gets you in. It may not be a bad idea for you to check out DO schools, their philosophy, etc. and see if that's something you'd be interested in.

10. 45408

45408 aw buddy

Resident [Any Field]
    Definitely. Plenty of my friends from undergrad did just that.

11. medfool24

medfool24 A-Squared

Pre-Medical
    Umm...No. The Median is when half of the people score above or below a number. The average is just the total of the scores divided by how many scores there were.

12. Kfire326

Medical Student
    Yes you can. I got in this year with a 29P.

13. Agent Splat

Agent Splat Viruses? Don't Exist.

Resident [Any Field]
    it's also possible with a 27.

14. Robizzle

Robizzle 1K Member

Medical Student
    Got in with a 29N.

15. dondon

thanks for the quick replies!

Im just getting upper 20's on my practice MCATs and I'm taking the real thing in 2 weeks... so I was kind of freaking out...

I feel a little better now.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Cozminator

Pre-Medical
    The figure you guys are looking for is the "mode", which is the most frequently achieved score. There can be more than one mode for any group of numbers.

18. IDontKnow

Medical Student
    Yes Yes Yes Yes

19. ghip

ghip Member

Medical Student
    There was this kid who went to highschool with me. He wore these glasses with thick black plastic rims and hiked his pants up above his belly button. He walked very quickly and would hug the wall, looking straight down at the carpet ahead of him to avoid eye contact. Everyone thought he must be brilliant because he was such a stereotypical nerd. Funny thing though, I ran into him years later, when he was working as a guard for a security firm called 'two-star security'.

20. Tired Pigeon

Resident [Any Field]
    I personally know someone who got into a US allo school with a 23. :eek:

21. ghip

ghip Member

Medical Student
    I wonder if anyone will get my hilarious joke.

22. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    My school has gone down to a 24 before, but it's usually to include URM's or something like that.

Typically a 30 at my school for an in-state applicant is good-to-go. Waitlist is usually 26-28ish.

The answer to your question depends completely on where you live. I doubt that many folks in Cali or Washington would agree that a sub-30 MCAT is acceptable for admission.

23. C.P. Jones

C.P. Jones Catface Majigger

for the purposes of this thread:

280 first time
    29Q second time

this cycle:
    11 MD interviews offered
    2 acceptances and the rest are combinations of WL, a bunch i'm still waiting to hear from since i'm on post-int hold, and declined a few)

I applied in June, I had taken the MCAT for the previous cycle...vastly improved my AMCAS essays...all of them, not just PS

soo....yea...of course it's possible, and probably not as hard as people make it seem. in no way is MD a long shot as long as you have good experiences/gpa/application

24. O Face

O Face Ohh Ohh Ohh

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, I got accepted to 4 schools after being on their waiting list with a 29 overall score. But this was a few years ago. I still think a 29 is good, especially if your extra curriculars and GPA are solid (3.5 or higher).

But on the flip side of the token, I was scared about not having that 30. I underestimated the verbal. Don't underestimate the verbal.

25. gary5

gary5 Senior Member

24 is ridiculous. Talk about underqualified.

26. lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    I had a 28N and am an M1. I also only applied to 4 allo and 1 osteo. 3 interviews and two acceptances.
    As with anything, you can't plan on this working out for you (i.e. thinking because some people got in with a 28 or lower means that you will have the same experience) but it certainly is possible and probably happens a lot more than is shown on SDN.

27. docolive

docolive DOColive

Medical Student

Speaking from experience with this exam, just go in there and do your best. Don't worry so much about your practice scores because you may improve by a number of pts or dec. a little bit depending on that test and that day. Nobody can tell you that you will or will not get in with X score because this process is so tight with the number of applicants.

28. Droopy Snoopy

Resident [Any Field]
    Sorry for the misspeak OP, but considering such a large pool of applicants it comes to nearly the same thing. The median is probably slightly higher but still fairly close to 30.

29. Vano

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes, I know people who got into decent and good programs in Midwest with below 30 MCATs. I applied to 9 schools(late summer/early fall) and already got into 2 and still waiting on 4 with a 29 and a 3.9 (didn't feel the need to retake it and waste a summer 'cause I knew I could get in) So it's doable, but you don't want to have all stats be below average, make ECs, personal statement, GPA offset a lower MCAT score and don't wait until the last moment to beat the deadline, apply early

30. senioritaelena

senioritaelena Let's go

Pre-Medical
    Yup, 28 R and I am in.

31. silverlining1

Medical Student
    :laugh:

32. MaximusD

MaximusD Anatomically Incorrect
    Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    It's all about a balance. I have a 32 MCAT but it seems that I didn't get much of a shot at any of the allo schools due to my 3.25 GPA.

If your total package is solid, you will get into an allopathic medical school if you apply broadly. Someone with a 28+ MCAT combined with a 3.5+ GPA is very likely to gain admission. You can increase one and lower the other slightly, but the overall package must appear strong. I suspect that 3.25 was low enough to raise some red flags. An educated guess from watching this cycle would be that, in general, you start to get into the red when scores are less than 27 MCAT or 3.4 GPA. Up until those cutoffs, it seems as though there is wiggle room -- GPA can offset MCAT and vice versa.

By the way, I was taking Kaplan and was scoring consistent 29s on the full-length exams. Test day saw a 3-point jump.

Best of luck. :luck:

33. SalseraDoctora

SalseraDoctora Senior Member

Non-Student
    I got a 29P, and I'm in to an allopathic school (and I am a non-trad non-URM).

34. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    Well I won't mention some of the numbers for osteo schools I'm familiar with then. The USMLE will weed out if people can't pass in any case.

As to the low bar, it's called "People/doctors don't want to move here to practice, so we'll instead try to recruit from within." Best advice for allo school admissions--move to the reddest state you can find. You'll turn that "not even interviewed" status to "interviewed, accepted" in no time.

35. DocOB

Medical Student
    Just kidding, I got in with a 28Q

36. redsoxfan

redsoxfan Senior Member

hahaha darnit, why'd my parents have to raise me in the bluest state u can find....

37. sarahjay

sarahjay Junior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    <----- 28 r with 3 acceptances.

38. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    There's more to the eye than numbers. I had a 29 MCAT and only ONE allo interview. Not even my state school. There are lots of other factors - your state of residence (CA is tough - so are a few others), your MCAT, your ECs, your LORs, and other things you can't change (your age, your race, etc.).

Just the 29 MCAT won't save your skin here if all you're interested in is allo schools.

39. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    redsoxfan, you don't live in Massachusetts, do ya? Man the schools up there draw thousands of applications! Does anybody know if BU has hit 10K yet?

Seems like the last time I checked, Mississippi had ~225 applicants for 100 spots and only let state residents in. Toss in the fact that the tuition was sub 10K as of a couple of years ago, and it would seem to be the ideal place to raise a wannabe doc.

Contrast with UW (also in a state with only one school)-160ish slots for ~950 resident applicants.

The best thing that you can do to get into med school is live in a place that needs doctors.

40. ihatepaperwork

Pre-Medical
    Actually, I would GUESS that the median is below 30 (or whatever a school's given average is). My reasoning is that at any given school, people with above the school's average MCAT get in regardless of their score (so, you have 39, 40, etc pulling up the average), but people don't typically get in with 21, 20, etc. Instead, I would expect to see some people at the high range MCAT score, with many people above the average, but then I would expect a whole lot of people within a couple below the average MCAT (or something like that-I don't have any exact numbers). Does my reasoning make sense?

If not, try plugging in your own made up numbers and calculating a mean and median-my major assumption is that people below some score almost never get in. I think this is valid since.......like, I guess 2% of students get 19 or below (since 37 is 98 percentile and both are 9 away from mean of 28), but while about 100% of 37's get in, about 0% of 19's get in.).

41. redsoxfan

redsoxfan Senior Member

i do indeed hail from MA and sadly yes BU has reached 10,000 apps and UMass's avg MCAT is I think 33 (i only have a 31). if i had to do it all over again, aside from having a higher undergrad gpa, i would consider obtaining out of state residency, since mine has shown me no love...

42. Soccer885

Soccer885 Senior Member

Medical Student
    I got into a US allo med school with a 27R. However I have an extremely good GPA to off set the lower MCAT. It can be done with a 27,28, or 29, I just think it is an uphill battle. Good luck!

43. Kingfish

Kingfish New Member

I just talked to my friend who got in with a 26 and 3.2. However, he is also first author on a paper concerning heart CT optimization and received a 25K grant. That could have something to do with it.

44. jstuds_66

jstuds_66 Free cat to a good home

Medical Student
    This thread is making me sad. I didn't get in this year. I have a 29R, excellent GPA, good EC's and I think I have a well written PS. Maybe I just didn't apply to the right schools. I applied early and was complete everywhere in August. Now, I think I'm going to have to take the MCAT again so I have a better chance. In sum, it is possible, but it'd probably be easier with a higher score.

45. batman1983

Pre-Medical
    It depends on multiple factors:
    1. If you are a minority with those stats and a descent GPA(3.5 or above), you might even get into an Ivy or top tier school: Witness this BS:
    http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=34
    2. If you live in a state with a shortage of doctors, such as Alabama, Kansas, and etc, their schools have lower standards for acceptance relative to the UCs and SUNYs.
    3. Extracurricular activities can make a difference as well.
    4. LORs and personal statements
    -batman1983

46. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    Your location says it all.

I think that Dre and Tupac got it right in '95...

"Now let me welcome everybody to the wild, wild west
    A state that's untouchable like Elliot Ness
    The track hits ya eardrum like a slug to ya chest
    Pack a vest for your Jimmy in the city of sex
    We in that sunshine state with a bomb ass hemp beat
    The state where ya never find a dance floor empty
    And pimps be on a mission for them greens
    Lean mean money-makin-machines servin fiends
    I been in the game for ten years makin rap tunes
    Ever since honeys was wearin sassoon
    Now it's '95 and they clock me and watch me
    Diamonds shinin lookin like I robbed Liberace
    It's all good, from Diego to tha Bay
    Your city is tha bomb if your city makin pay
    Throw up a finger if ya feel the same way
    Dre puttin it down for
    Californ-i-a"

"Out on bail fresh outta jail, California dreamin
    Soon as I stepped on the scene, I'm hearin hoochies screamin
    Fiendin for money and alcohol
    The life of a west side playa where cowards die and its all ball
    Only in Cali where we riot not rally to live and die
    In L.A. we wearin Chucks not Ballies (that's right)
    Dressed in Locs and khaki suits and ride is what we do
    Flossin but have caution we collide with other crews
    Famous because we program worldwide
    Let'em recognize from Long Beach to Rosecrans
    Bumpin and grindin like a slow jam, it's west side
    So you know the row won't bow down to no man
    Say what you say
    But give me that bomb beat from Dre
    Let me serenade the streets of L.A.
    From Oakland to Sacktown
    The Bay Area and back down
    Cali is where they put they mack down
    Give me love!"

LifetimeDoc had the same issue. :luck: :)

batman--I'm from Kansas and also interviewed at UAB. True, both give about 50/50 odds of acceptance for in-staters due to demand, but that's about the only similarity between the schools. I have some colleagues who would prefer that you substitute the term "lower standards" with "different emphases." I used to wonder why the midwest state schools didn't just fill with 30+ MCAT blue state rejects and make a pretty penny off of the added oos tuition, but I think that the lower standards are imposed upon them by their state legislatures.

47. batman1983

Pre-Medical
    Nice one about CA and sorry about the terminology for Kansas and UAB. I totally agree with you about Kansas and UAB, both are great schools. I have heard many great things about UAB in particular. But, public schools always want to have a preference for instate candidate because their taxes pay for the school and they are more likely to state in the state after school. Unfortunately, I live in CA, where the is lots of competition for the UCs(according to what I heard, its due to a disproportionate amount apply of residents apply relative to the number of medical schools, would appreciate it if someone could verify that). If I was from Alabama or Kansas, I would go to either school in a heartbeat.

48. geogil

geogil Still training.

Fellow [Any Field]
    OP, I just got in to an allo school with a 29P, so you can do it. You just need to have a nice well rounded application, because contrary to SDN wisdom, there are more factors in med school admissions than your GPA and MCAT. I had 3 interviews total, so don't sweat the MCAT unless you don't get any interviews at all, then you might reconsider retaking.

49. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    Much respek. :thumbup:

Yeah I can verify what you say about Cali, and I know a few west coast natives who have gotten into Kansas (though more commonly places like SLU) but not their home state as a result of your correct reasoning.

MSAR data supports the following for Californ-I-A... 2,500 to 5,000 resident applications at each state med school for 70-120 slots apiece. As a result, typical MCAT medians at the Cali houses are 10-11-11 (Irvine, Davis) or 11-12-12 (LA, SD, SF). Tough odds. :luck:

50. tkatchev

Medical Student
    NM, x'd out sarcasm.

51. Soccer885

Soccer885 Senior Member

Medical Student
    The first time I took the MCAT (April) i got a 24Q and was very disappointed. I took the MCAT again in August and got a 27R, still pretty disappointing but at least it was an improvement. I applied to only two US allopathic schools (not smart) but was accepted to one and placed on the high tier waitlist at the other (was told I will be offered an acceptance because I am that high on the list). I had good EC's and an excellent GPA. I think there are many factors that help in getting accepted and the MCAT is just one of them (but it is a major one). You should take the MCAT again and do the best you can, I am a firm believer that you don't have to have a 30 to get in but you will need something to off set a lower score (such as a great GPA). Best of luck to you!

52. jbar

jbar Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    to the OP, I found the real MCAT easier than the practice tests. My real score was 3 points higher than my best practice test. So hammer hard for the next two weeks on your weakest subject and don't worry. If you're getting high 20s on the practice breaking thirty on the real deal def possible.