can you get into med school with a 28-29 MCAT score???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i got a 28p on it and was wondering where, for those of you who said you know people who got in med school with those scores, where they applied?

I'm just curious b/c I'm a junior and im getting ready to apply in June.

Thanks and I appreciate the feedback!

I just don't know if I should retake or not, ultimately

Members don't see this ad.

i got a 28p on it and was wondering where, for those of you who said you know people who got in med school with those scores, where they applied?

Your best bet is to look through the MSAR. It has MCAT stats for each allopathic medical school. That'll help you figure out where you'll be most competitive as an applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend applied to to all the Texas medical schools with a 24 MCAT and got 1 interview at Texas A&M and was accepted there. He was a former military man however with a great GPA however to make up for it.

I got into TCOM with a 28 but again with a 3.85 GPA and lots of research experience.

So definitely doable, just keep your grades and other parts of your application looking nice.

You can get in with a 29Q and i got this after taking the MCAT the first time and getting a 25Q. I was accepted to 4 schools, wait listed at a top 5 school and I received interviews for 7 schools (only attended 5)

I also had a friend who was accepted to the only school he applied to with a 29.

It can be done!

You can get in with a 29Q and i got this after taking the MCAT the first time and getting a 25Q. I was accepted to 4 schools, wait listed at a top 5 school and I received interviews for 7 schools (only attended 5)

I also had a friend who was accepted to the only school he applied to with a 29.

It can be done!

ladoctora44 but was your gpa really high to compensate or had really good ec's aside from the normal clinical, research, and commmunity service?

if you don't mind, would you share where you applied and where you got in?

I'm just curious b/c I'm a junior and im getting ready to apply in June.

Thanks and I appreciate the feedback!

I just don't know if I should retake or not, ultimately

i had a 28 and did not get in to a US med school. now i'm a 3rd year at St George's University applying to residency in a few months. I had a 3.7 GPA from a state school. research but no publication and a bunch of volunteer experience. a regular application... no interviews even...

thinking back, i should have applied b-r-o-a-d-l-y... i mean to a lot of schools, far from home, anywhere in the US...

for the purposes of this thread:

280 first time
29Q second time

this cycle:
11 MD interviews offered
2 acceptances and the rest are combinations of WL, a bunch i'm still waiting to hear from since i'm on post-int hold, and declined a few)

I applied in June, I had taken the MCAT for the previous cycle...vastly improved my AMCAS essays...all of them, not just PS

soo....yea...of course it's possible, and probably not as hard as people make it seem. in no way is MD a long shot as long as you have good experiences/gpa/application

what was your GPA?
i just got on (4/11) a 28T; GPA is 3.6 but i have a stellar personal statement, really great letters of rec., and awesome extracurriculars.

i did everything wrong with a similar mcat score.
applied super late.
didn't properly enter all my ECs and shadowing
didn't enter my research that I was about to undertake under planned activities.
forgot to enter past community service activities.

I got an interview.
3 actually.

So yes, you can be a dolt and still get interviews.

Still on the waitlist (don't apply in july/august) but there's a chance! :thumbup:

Yes, yes, yes! Apply in-state (and wherever else you want!)

According to the msar, you gotta have some serious swagg!! You have to be able to juggle and do all sorts of little dips and trixcks......

On a more seious note, it will PROBABLY be your state or lower-tier school that will probably give in to this. Albany College is one for sure......I think.

I got into a Californian MD school with a 28M, but I believe I made up for it with my GPA, ECs, LORs, etc:

http://www.mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=18708

3 interview invites
2 interviews attended
1 acceptance

It's possible, but as with any weakness, you'll probably need to make it up somewhere else.

GL! :luck:

I got 4 interviews (1 MD/PhD and 3 MD) with 2 acceptances. I have a 27 MCAT and 3.86 GPA. So its possible

Your best bet is to look through the MSAR. It has MCAT stats for each allopathic medical school. That'll help you figure out where you'll be most competitive as an applicant.

Actually, looking at the MSAR will stress you out with its misleading statistics!! Instead, try to find the average MCAT scores of the ACTUAL entering classes on the websites for individual schools!! I cried when I got my MCAT score back last summer (a 29) because the MSAR said that the average MCAT was at least 31 for all of the Texas schools.. it wasn't until my interview at UTMB where they showed us statistics of their entering class when it hit me that I had a better shot than I expected.. their average entering class MCAT was a 29! A couple other examples are the Tech schools.. their entering class average is around 29 as well. The "accepted" student averages in the MSAR are inflated due to acceptances of many competitive applicants (with upper 30's) who end up going to Baylor or UTSW anyway. I ended up getting 2 MD acceptances (UTHSCSA and Texas Tech -El Paso), so there's definitely hope!! Although you do want to make sure to compensate for a less than average MCAT with extracurricular activities, and having an above average GPA certainly does help set you apart (mine was 3.96 when I applied). Don't give up hope!!