1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

can you goto your friend who's a psych resident?

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by cheetoSnacks, Feb 20, 2007.

1. cheetoSnacks

cheetoSnacks Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    my friend is a psych resident at this hospital and i've been having some mental issues lately - this person (longtime friend) is one of the few people i trust to confide in but i don't want to like make him work during the times we hang out - is it possible to see my friend in an official capacity? i dont' want to goto someone else becuase naturally i don't like to disclose personal details of my life with some random stranger

2. WaitingKills

WaitingKills Rockstar
    5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I think that it's a bad bad bad move.

A friend is a friend and a therapist is a therapist. Nothing good will come from confusing this relationship in my opinion.

My suggestion is to go therapist shopping and find someone who you feel you will be able to build a relationship with. Get your friend to suggest someone maybe being that they would know your personality and the type of peple you get along with.

I've been in your position of not wanting to disclose to someone I don't know, but you don't have to say everything in the first few weeks that you meet.

Sorry, it's really late here so if this post is disjointed that's why. But ya, my two cents is that it's not a good idea and you should find someone who is neutral (ie. not in your social circle).

Take care of yourself.

3. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
    Faculty Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Exactly.

Duel relationships can be touchy, and if you have the choice (you do), then I'd say to ask around until you find someone who works for you.

-t

4. paramour

7+ Year Member

Seconded, or thirded! Dual relationships are nasty critters that should not be entered into. You may think it sounds like a great idea but you never know what may happen during your professional relationship that could influence (and/or even harm) your friendship. I agree with the above--ask for a referral to someone else.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. sunlioness

sunlioness Fierce. Proud. Strong
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Not only are dual relationships fraught with peril, they're also often seen as unethical. Don't do it. Ask your friend whom s/he would recommend you see and go see that person.