jacbbc

2+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
I was just wondering can you really prepare or study for interviews? Or is it more just knowing your essay question answers and overall app? Thank you!

FeralisExtremum

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
May 17, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Be familiar with your application, and if you're interested in the types of questions that get asked at specific schools you can check here: Dental Interview Feedback List | Student Doctor Network

Aside from being able to explain well why you're interested in dentistry, I wouldn't try to spend too much time preparing for interviews. Answers that sound memorized or overly rehearsed don't sound good to interviewers.

Reactions: wengerout
OP
J

jacbbc

2+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
Be familiar with your application, and if you're interested in the types of questions that get asked at specific schools you can check here: Dental Interview Feedback List | Student Doctor Network

Aside from being able to explain well why you're interested in dentistry, I wouldn't try to spend too much time preparing for interviews. Answers that sound memorized or overly rehearsed don't sound good to interviewers.
Ok awesome, thank you so much for responding

redhotchiligochu

D3
2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2016
USA
Status
Dental Student
Going off of what Feralis mentioned, BE YOURSELF! It sounds extremely cliche but the interviewer is 100% able to differentiate between genuine answers and rehearsed responses.

A good friend of mine was invited to 12 interviews, but was only accepted to 2. She told me that she ended up "memorizing" answers, which I didn't think was a good idea. On the other hand, I simply went with the flow and pretty much had a two-way conversation with the interviewers.

Reactions: jacbbc
Aug 29, 2006
New York
Status
Dentist
I would like to disagree with those who posted above. There is a wealth of information about interviewing out there, not just on SDN. Business majors are well rehearsed on interview techniques prior to entering the public and private sector. Read some of this material. You will present yourself in the best light, avoid stumbling through tough questions, and most importantly, appear both serious and professional. Luck comes to the most prepared.

tyjacobs

2+ Year Member
May 10, 2015
I was just wondering can you really prepare or study for interviews? Or is it more just knowing your essay question answers and overall app? Thank you!
- know your app well
- do mock interviews in your career center
- read SDN interview feedback pages for questions kids had previously

smallmediumbig

2+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2016
Status
Dental Student
There are some schools that will ask you questions like "What is our mission statement?" just to see if you actually know anything about the school you're applying to. Midwestern-AZ asked me that last year. I also heard once that someone asked who the dean of the school was. Just look into old threads and see which schools will ask very specific questions like this. I also always made sure I knew if the school gave a DDS or DMD degree.

OP
J

jacbbc

2+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
There are some schools that will ask you questions like "What is our mission statement?" just to see if you actually know anything about the school you're applying to. Midwestern-AZ asked me that last year. I also heard once that someone asked who the dean of the school was. Just look into old threads and see which schools will ask very specific questions like this. I also always made sure I knew if the school gave a DDS or DMD degree.
Oh wow, thank you for the heads up!

Reactions: smallmediumbig

cooliyak

Established Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2012
Colorado
Status
Dentist
They asked me who the dean was at my NYU interview.

Mar 6, 2013
Fhloston Paradise
Status
Dental Student
Yes and no. All my interviews were conversation about normal things and had nothing to do about dentistry. Other people get grilled on why they want to do dentistry. I never had any generic questions such as "tell me about yourself"

wengerout

2+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Yes and no. All my interviews were conversation about normal things and had nothing to do about dentistry. Other people get grilled on why they want to do dentistry. I never had any generic questions such as "tell me about yourself"
Interesting, I got"Tell me about yourself" at least four times,