can you scramble into anesthesiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zion

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As per title...

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard of it happening, but the availability of spots is not reliable and the competition is going to be pretty tough.

I have heard of it happening, but the availability of spots is not reliable and the competition is going to be pretty tough.

thanks for the quick reply. what if one wanted to scramble into a PGY2 position, ie having already completed a prelim...does this change the field?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the quick reply. what if one wanted to scramble into a PGY2 position, ie having already completed a prelim...does this change the field?

I don't know if those spots are offered in the scramble. I think they find people outside of the scramble process as CA-1 positions for 2008-09 become available.

You should probably contact programs of interest directly now.

I don't know if those spots are offered in the scramble. I think they find people outside of the scramble process as CA-1 positions for 2008-09 become available.

You should probably contact programs of interest directly now.

again, thanks.

These spots are frequently offered outside the match. You could theoretically scramble into one, and that would start 2009 for this year's match.

agreed. many programs (including ours) hold 1-2 PGY2 spots outside the match in order to take highly qualified people who change their minds during their intern year.

is there a list of such program that hold these spots?

also, how many unfilled spots do you guys think there will be this year?

No list. you've got to contact them directly, so go to FREIDA and get the PDs contact info. Send them a CV and cover letter. If you're really serious, apply through the match too.

I know someone who scrambled into Cornell last year, so i know its possible and it does happen.

As I recall, last year was a bit of an anomaly (compared to recent years) both in terms of the number of gas spots available in the scramble and the caliber of the specific programs that had open spots (JHU, MGH, UWash, etc...). Also, I'm sure that, given the very nature of the scramble, there is a fair bit of competition for these spots. So, its certainly possible but, of course, is far from guaranteed.

So, its certainly possible but, of course, is far from guaranteed.

You want a guarantee? I can take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed! All you will be getting is a guaranteed piece of crap.

obscure reference

47770761_11348bba04.jpg

You want a guarantee? I can take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed! All you will be getting is a guaranteed piece of crap.

obscure reference

47770761_11348bba04.jpg

Nice..........Very funny. One of my favorite movies ever.