Can you tell me my chances of acceptance into a MD/PhD program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NanoSave

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all! I would really appreciate it if you would read this, and give me some great feedback!

I got my AA about 4 years ago, and I performed horribly due to some circumstances at home. I had a 2.6 GPA, and I had about 9 withdrawals.

I then went to my state school, and I performed nearly flawlessly. I graduated with a 3.65 overall GPA, and a 4.0 institution GPA. My sciences GPA was a 4.0 too. I received a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, and I completed minors in Biology, Chemistry, and Bioengineering. I made the Dean's list and the President's list every semester, and I was admitted into my Honors in Major program in which I conducted original research. With that research, I wrote and defended and original honors thesis that was published and made available to the public in our university's library, and I was a SURF fellowship recipient. I conducted about 2 years of clinical volunteer work, and I shadowed a physician for about 5 weeks. My MCAT score is a 517, and my GRE score is a 321.

A few other details about me are that I have been a Humane Society volunteer for over 3 years, I have been a frequent beach and state park volunteer for cleanups, I had an industry internship for my engineering degree, and I am a US Navy veteran.

I am looking at more than 20 programs for a combined MD/PhD degree. I will list some here.

University of Minnesota, Northwestern University, Baylor University, Cornell University (Tri-Institutional), Tufts University, Vanderbilt University, University of Washington, Purdue University, University of Pennsylvania, University of Wisconsin - Madison, University of Rochester, University of Pittsburgh, University of Colorado Denver, University of Miami, Ohio State University, and the University of Connecticut.

Do you think I am competitive for these programs despite the early blunders?

If not, if you could give me some advice on how to boost my application further, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is an anonymous forum so just make sure you change the pro pic and some of your details in the post if you want more privacy.

I don't have any advice though, sorry!

This is an anonymous forum so just make sure you change the pro pic and some of your details in the post if you want more privacy.

I don't have any advice though, sorry!

Will do. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA is below avg for MD/PhD but that’s not to say it’s impossible. Have you been utilizing the MSAR to help compile your list?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your GPA is below avg for MD/PhD but that’s not to say it’s impossible. Have you been utilizing the MSAR to help compile your list?

I had not. I had figured that the MSAR was only useful for MDs alone for the most part, not combined programs. Am I wrong?

It doesn’t have detailed MD/PhD but you can see which have combined programs. Use their stats as a baseline and assume that the typical matriculant will have better MCAT and GPA, as well as significant research experience (relative to the avg MD matriculant). From there, compile list of interested programs then check their specific site, or contact them, for additional information.

That’s the approach I would take if I were you.

It doesn’t have detailed MD/PhD but you can see which have combined programs. Use their stats as a baseline and assume that the typical matriculant will have better MCAT and GPA, as well as significant research experience (relative to the avg MD matriculant). From there, compile list of interested programs then check their specific site, or contact them, for additional information.

That’s the approach I would take if I were you.

I will do that. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user