Canadian Applying to US Optometry Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canadianODhopefully

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!
I am having a very difficult time managing the application process / transfer of my Canadian courses into the letter grades for applications and i am curious to what my chances to getting in would be.
I am currently a 3rd year Physiology student with a cumulative average of 73 (2.9) and going up as we speak! Do the american schools take your GPA of all your classes over the last 4 years, or the last 2 years or the science requirements?

I have worked at 2 clinics as a pretester, front desk, and have shadowed the optometrists doing different procedures. I will be working there again this summer. I have experience taking retinal photos, OCTs, visual fields, and Optos images. I also learned basic glasses repair techniques and sat in a few CL training sessions. I loved every minute of being in the clinic and i know that this is what i want to do. One of the optometrists also suggested I go on one of the mission trips with them if it works with my spring break week.

I am planning on writing my OAT in august as well as submitting my application for fall 2018 start in august 2017 as well. I will still be planning to shadow an optometrist where i go to school for my undergrad. I just need some guidance as i have no idea to what I'm doing or if i should apply at a different time, upgrade classes or anything i can do to aid my application.

Thank-you so much, I appreciate any advice :)

Members don't see this ad.

They will look at your overall GPA, as well as your science GPA. To be honest, a 2.9 won't look good in the eyes of an application committee. However, if you continue to bring it up, as well as do very well on the OAT, you may have a chance. Your work experiences and shadowing will definitely improve your chances. Good luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi, I was just wondering what exactly is covered on the Canadian OAT. I know it says Natural Sciences, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and Physics and such. But would Microbiology and Biochemistry be covered on it ? Also since only one Organic chemistry (261) is needed, is that the only one on the exam?

PS: If you are from Canada, do you know if the OAT exams are available in the summer, or around which months? Thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad :)
They will look at your overall GPA, as well as your science GPA. To be honest, a 2.9 won't look good in the eyes of an application committee. However, if you continue to bring it up, as well as do very well on the OAT, you may have a chance. Your work experiences and shadowing will definitely improve your chances. Good luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi, I was just wondering what exactly is covered on the Canadian OAT. I know it says Natural Sciences, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and Physics and such. But would Microbiology and Biochemistry be covered on it ? Also since only one Organic chemistry (261) is needed, is that the only one on the exam?

PS: If you are from Canada, do you know if the OAT exams are available in the summer, or around which months? Thanks so much!!

Hi there!
I am having a very difficult time managing the application process / transfer of my Canadian courses into the letter grades for applications and i am curious to what my chances to getting in would be.
I am currently a 3rd year Physiology student with a cumulative average of 73 (2.9) and going up as we speak! Do the american schools take your GPA of all your classes over the last 4 years, or the last 2 years or the science requirements?

I have worked at 2 clinics as a pretester, front desk, and have shadowed the optometrists doing different procedures. I will be working there again this summer. I have experience taking retinal photos, OCTs, visual fields, and Optos images. I also learned basic glasses repair techniques and sat in a few CL training sessions. I loved every minute of being in the clinic and i know that this is what i want to do. One of the optometrists also suggested I go on one of the mission trips with them if it works with my spring break week.

I am planning on writing my OAT in august as well as submitting my application for fall 2018 start in august 2017 as well. I will still be planning to shadow an optometrist where i go to school for my undergrad. I just need some guidance as i have no idea to what I'm doing or if i should apply at a different time, upgrade classes or anything i can do to aid my application.

Thank-you so much, I appreciate any advice :)