Canadian IMG studying in Poland, Applying to UK Foundation Programme

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thelegend23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title suggests, I'm a Canadian IMG studying in Poland. I'm graduating next year (May 2018).

I would like to apply for UK Foundation Programme. I have a list of questions that I have and wasn't able to find a good answer to.

I hold Canadian citizenship, and I don't have EU-status. I understand that I need to take the PLAB tests. However, in order to register to do the PLABs, I need to be a medical school graduate and hold a medical degree. This means that I may have to take a year off after graduation to be able to apply (the last thing that I want to do is take a year off after graduation).

PLAB is needed for provisional registration with GMC, which is a requirement for applying for Foundation Programme.

My other option is to get exempted from PLAB, but I don't meet any of the exemption criteria: which are get sponsored by an approved institution (I would have to have my internship completed for this to apply), have a partner or be dependent of an EU-citizen (which doesn't apply to me)

Is there anyone who could offer me some help in this matter? Does anyone know someone who has been in my position?

Members don't see this ad.

As the title suggests, I'm a Canadian IMG studying in Poland. I'm graduating next year (May 2018).

I would like to apply for UK Foundation Programme. I have a list of questions that I have and wasn't able to find a good answer to.

I hold Canadian citizenship, and I don't have EU-status. I understand that I need to take the PLAB tests. However, in order to register to do the PLABs, I need to be a medical school graduate and hold a medical degree. This means that I may have to take a year off after graduation to be able to apply (the last thing that I want to do is take a year off after graduation).

PLAB is needed for provisional registration with GMC, which is a requirement for applying for Foundation Programme.

My other option is to get exempted from PLAB, but I don't meet any of the exemption criteria: which are get sponsored by an approved institution (I would have to have my internship completed for this to apply), have a partner or be dependent of an EU-citizen (which doesn't apply to me)

Is there anyone who could offer me some help in this matter? Does anyone know someone who has been in my position?

I'm doing an MSc in the UK, and will ask around; my classmate is polish and a us citizen, but went to medical school in Poland.

Canadian here! Starting med school in the UK come September so I've been researching this. Unfortunately, as a non-UK citizen and a non-UK medical graduate, it's going to be tough for you to get into the foundation programme. I believe spots go to UK citizens/medical grads first, and then if anything is left over, it's offered to non-UK citizens/medical grads. The programme usually fills up though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Practically zero chance you get a foundation spot in UK/Ireland being a non-EU citizen graduating from a non-UK school, regardless of your PLAB status/score. If you're a non-EU citizen graduating from a UK school, then yes, you'll get an internship in UK.
I'd focus all my energy on coming back to North America.

Practically zero chance you get a foundation spot in UK/Ireland being a non-EU citizen graduating from a non-UK school, regardless of your PLAB status/score. If you're a non-EU citizen graduating from a UK school, then yes, you'll get an internship in UK.
I'd focus all my energy on coming back to North America.
Can I ask where you are getting this info from? I am also a non-UK, non-EU citizen, but quite hopeful of applying. I saw the statistics of job recruitment for the UKFP in 2017 and found that of 130 non-UK, non-EU IMGs, 90 were accepted, which I find quite acceptable. Or am I missing something?