Canadian Student Situation- DO & MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shayvenk

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a Canadian applicant and I have applied to both MD and DO schools and I've gotten acceptances into 2 DO schools already but I am aiming towards MD schools.

My Lizzy M is about 65.8 (3.78 GPA, 505 MCAT (C/P: 129, CARS: 121, B/B: 128, P/S: 127).
Previous MCAT was 500 (C/P: 128, CARS: 120, B/B: 125, P/S: 127)
Note: I have an upward trend in my GPA (3.21, 3.97, 3.97, 3.97) Yes I know my CARS is very low and I did everything I could have to try to do well but it didn't work out.

The MD schools that I have applied to are:
SUNY UPSTATE
Tulane
CMU
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumount
Dartmouth
NYMC
Thomas Jefferson
Meharry
Howard
Rosalind Franklin

So far, I've been rejected from Tulane and I'm pretty sure that I may receive a rejection from SUNY UPSTATE because they said they favour their instate applicants and they require out of state MCAT averages to be around 516.

I was wondering if there are any schools which will overlook my very low CARS score and potentially give me an interview invite.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on the DO acceptances! I would stick with them. Despite taking the MCAT twice, both scores are below the 510+ matriculant median for MD schools. A very low CARS score on both attempts doesn't do you any favors.

Unless you are a URM with a compelling application and very, very strong ECs, I wouldn't put much hope in getting into MD schools and just proceed with DO. In the end, regardless of the title, you are a physician and that is what matters.

Reactions: 1 user
As an intermational with a 120 and a 121 in CARS I would say your MD chances are basically nil unfortunately. Congrats on the DO acceptances, take it and run