Canadian URM need help with my school list please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CANADIAN2MD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so hey guys! I just finished my mcat a couple of days ago (5/13 was brutal to be honest) and now I'm just getting my application finished and trying to finalize my school list before the time comes up.
Background: Just finished Undergrad in Life Sciences, AA- Canadian male, Low SES (trying not to spend too much in my applications tbh)
GPA: cGPA: 3.71 sGPA: 3.5 (Strong upward trend 3.9-4.0 last 3 years, first year got me a little bit o_O)
MCAT:
Waiting patiently, but I practised around 507-513 so hopefully not under 507 (fingers crossed)
ECs:
-Recently went on a mission to Ethiopia to shadow a rural surgeon (who is doing more good in this world than any of us could ever imagine) over 500 hours shadowing
-Spent over 2000 hours over the last 7 years coaching intercity kids basketball, these kids mean more to me than anything, and giving back to my community is extremely important to me
-More than 1500 hours over the last 4 summers tutoring kids at the local minority private school (because I went there as a kid and wouldn't be where I am without them) Great kids and just tried to teach anything I possibly could
-200 hours helping Syrian refugees who were recently accepted to Canada get acclimated to society and being available to them whenever they needed help
-Spent over 4 hours per week the semester helping international Chinese students get accustom to life at my University, was basically like a big brother and tried to help these students.
- Held down many jobs throughout school and tried to divide my time as much as possible
-Couple of other little things, but No research yet (not that interested), but will be doing clinical research all next year during my post bacc while praying I get accepted somewhere
School List: (All are Canadian friendly from what I've found out)
Dreams (Super Reaches):
-Yale
-Emory
-Stanford
-NorthWestern
-Harvard
-Columbia
-Mayo
-Duke
-Cornell

Kinda Reaches/ Stretch:
-UC Davis
-Pritzker school of medicine
-Boston U
-Michigan State
-NYU
-UNC
-Rutgers
-Albert Einstein (?)
-Mount Sinai
-Tufts
-Rutgers
-Syracuse
-Penn State

At My Level (hopefully):
-
Medical College of Georgia
-Rosalind Franklin
-College of Illinois
-Central Michigan
-Oakland
-University of Michigan
-Valhala
-Stony Brook
-Case Western
-Cincinnati
-Pittsburg
-Howard
-Meharry
-Wayne State
-Oakland Beaumont
-VCU
-CMU
-George Washington (?)

I was confused about some of these so if anyone can help me refine my list based on any knowledge or opinion that would be amazing! (Also applying to all Ontario schools, but gotta be safe lol)

Members don't see this ad.

I think you got University of Michigan and Michigan State mixed up. University of Michigan is much more competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Requirements

University of Michigan doesn't take non-US citizen/permanent residents

Check the acceptance data section on each of the schools you have listed. You will find that several are not a good fit. For example, Rutgers matriculated exactly one international and that person was an EDC candidate. If you only see one or two matriculants, it often means that the option is there to allow the school to consider internal candidates who happen to be international.
Davis rarely even considers OOS applicants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Add out of province Canadian schools. And make sure to get that research.