Cancel Interview (Too Late?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amarula

attending
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How late is too late? The latest I've done is 3 days in advance. Is that horrible?

Members don't see this ad.

It's pretty bad but it's not horrible. They'll still get someone to take the slot. A no-show is horrible.

I have been at an interview where there were THREE no-shows that day. No call, no nothing! The secretary was so irritated, even though she tried to hide it. Also been at one with 1 no-show.
I would think that cancelling even with a days notice is better than showing up and wasting their time and money. No-shows are shameful though.
The more advanced notice the better!

Be kind to the classes behind you at your school and do not "no show" without just cause or notice.

inositide said:
Be kind to the classes behind you at your school and do not "no show" without just cause or notice.

I too have heard about this phenomenon. Apparently a program will take it out on your entire med school if you fail to show up for an interview.

DrRobert said:
I too have heard about this phenomenon. Apparently a program will take it out on your entire med school if you fail to show up for an interview.

This is true. My class received an irritated e-mail from our dean about a month ago, warning us that should we choose to cancel an interview, we need to notify the program well in advance. Her reprimand was prompted by a nasty phone call she'd received from a program director, regarding a no-show from our school.

In my interview email from Stanford, they claim that most people who cancel do so a few days before their interview (in case you wanted to cancel your interview and waitlist yourself to another date). Hope that helps.

Von Hohenheim said:
It's pretty bad but it's not horrible. They'll still get someone to take the slot. A no-show is horrible.

Pitt TY interview 5/13 were no-shows. PC a bit flustered.

If you are getting one of these cancelled spots, how far down the list are you. Seems like there would be a pile of applicants on "stand-by" or that are being wait-listed. If you get offered one of these spots, I wonder what your chances of matching there are anyway since you were second choice.
Is it worth us scrambling around at the last minute trying to schedule the interview?

remember there is also people waiting to get an interview at that place. If I really like a place adn was offer an interview in the next 3 days i would go to in a hurry.

so if you have to cancel, just CANCEL!!!

The latest I've cancelled is in the wee early hours the day of the interview. I've had to do this twice because of flight delays that prevented me from getting to the destined city on time. I felt really bad about it but it was out of my hands. Damn snow! :mad: