canceling deposit checks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuro27

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
let's say you have already mailed your deposit check for acceptance, but a couple of days later you hear from a school that is higher on your list.

i guess it would be appropriate to email the prior school right away to tell them you are no longer interested. but would it be appropriate to cancel the check? should you tell them in the email that you are canceling the check?

Members don't see this ad.

This is one problem with the system. You have to send moolah to save your spot, but you still don't have all of the information you need to make your final decision (whether you got into your higher choice schools).

I don't think that it would be appropriate to go ahead and cancel the check without first talking to the school. If it has been a week or two, it is unlikely that you will be able to get your money back. I have a feeling that it then depends on the school.

u can just call a school and ask for an extension (couple of weeks max) if you know ahead of time that you'll be hearing word from another school

Members don't see this ad :)
i think if the OP is asking about canceling a check, he knows that the school hasn't withdrew the funds yet, otherwise that would be pointless. if that's the case you should call the school and ask them not to deposit the check and let them know that you have canceled it. i think just canceling it would be disrespectful.

never ever ever burn your bridges... you never know when it'll come back to bite you! and cancelling your check would look REALLY bad. People from schools talk to each other too...

however, I agree completely with you that the deposit thing is a little high. (i'll stop before I get on a soap box)... I was lucky enough to have parents that could loan me the money (thanks again mom and dad). Try calling the school. I think the whole point is to keep a whole bunch of people from holding a DO spot for a couple hundred $ only to turn around and go to an MD or other DO school last minute leaving the school to scramble to fill seats right at the end. If you give them enough time, they might be (emphasis might) willing to work with you. It never hurts to ask. Also, in the grand scheme of things ($250k at some schools), what's $1000.