Can't decide between two schools, need help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AvidTraveler

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to UW, then later was accepted to Penn. I can't decide between the 2 schools. Both are great but Penn is more prestigious and UW is in a much nicer city-Seattle.

Regarding the program. UW is two years of classes and then two years of clerkships+clinics (no classes), which I like so that I can get the classes over with in 2 years. Penn, I think is all combined with clinic and classes during the first three years, then just clinics the last year.

What would you choose? Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

The cheaper one.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If UW is your state school, no further debate should be made. However, if its not, the two programs will be roughly the same in cost. I would go with the IV in the better city PHILLY!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
The University of Pennsylvania is prestigious in certain circles. When Mr. Average Patient hears you went there, he just thinks Joe Paterno was a real idiot. I'd go to UW all day, everyday over UPenn. Has to be cheaper and I'd much rather live in Seattle.

Big Hoss

Last edited:
The cheaper one.

I received a scholarship for Penn so that puts both of them at the same price. So tuition is not the issue. I am from WA and almost everyone goes to UW. I wonder if UW has any prestige outside WA, at least compared to Penn.

If UW is your state school, no further debate should be made. However, if its not, the two programs will be roughly the same in cost. I would go with the IV in the better city PHILLY!

Yes both are exactly the same cost because Penn gave me a scholarship. Do you think Philly is nicer than Seattle? How so?

My advice to ppl in this sitch is always to make a list of factors that matter to you , allocate more points to the factors that matter most to you , location , cost , focus of curriculum , proximity to fam , etc , then add it up for both schools and u got it . All of us here chose our schools for diff reasons based on what matters to us , personally I'd choose penn because of what I wanted out of dental school in terms of career prospects and being near my fam, although my cost difference between my two final schools was not as significant as it would be if this is your state school vs a private , so bear that in mind . But honestly , either way , I could say oh choose one school or the other and it wouldn't truly be the right thing for you . Clearly you're a great applicant if you got into both of these schools , so you'll do well at both , at the end of the day , once you have a choice like this , it comes down to which extraneous factors , such as the few I mentioned above and others you may think of , that matter . Those factors are what will ultimately allow you to make such a choice , after all , we all know how difficult it is to choose between 2 amazing programs . I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you ! Best of luck, cheers :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Great advice! Thanks! Do you think UW is challenging to get into? Do you perceive it as being prestigious?

Are you sure Penn is the same price? I liked to think schools I wanted to go to were the same, but they were more $$$!

If the same cost I would go to Penn, but it also depends on what you're planning to do. If you just want to be a GP in Washington then I would go to UW as it should have a stronger alumni network in the area. If you want to specialize/work in a different part of the country then Penn for sure.

Haven't told us where you are from yet? Philadelphia is my favorite city in the country - it's ideal for the 20-30yo student, plenty of fun things to do and COL is not bad either, could get a nice apartment for 700 a/mo. Imagine not having a rank, this would make getting into your residency of choice a bit less stressful. For me I wouldn't bat an eye at the other option but I am biased.

How so? Both are the same cost for me as a result of a Penn scholarship by the way.

ah, well that changes things a lot if cost is truly the same... philadelphia is a great city (though i prefer seattle), so it really depends on what your ultimate goals are.

i think you're caught up a lot in prestige though. i went to penn for part of undergrad and i have found that 95% of the country thinks i went to penn state. i have even been stopped on the street by people (rookie mistake: before i knew how to function in a major city) near campus asking if i liked the phillies (referring to my penn baseball hat)

Reactions: 2 users