can't find a job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lisochka

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been trying hard to find a pharmacist job- no results.
I have sent my resume to probably 100 jobs, no luck....
Any advice? Or may be you guys have any vacancies that I could apply for?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Never mind. I just saw the other thread that you're still doing your rotations. Nobody is going to hire you now without a license. Once you have your license, it will be a lot easier.

Last edited:
I didn't really have problems landing a job (still in school, and obviously unlicensed, no degree in hand yet), and know plenty of my friends who got a job... maybe you should consider finding specific PEOPLE to send your resume to instead of JOBS. Someone with a face may be able to help more, or at least direct you to where to get the help from. That's what I did. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't really have problems landing a job (still in school, and obviously unlicensed, no degree in hand yet), and know plenty of my friends who got a job... maybe you should consider finding specific PEOPLE to send your resume to instead of JOBS. Someone with a face may be able to help more, or at least direct you to where to get the help from. That's what I did. Good luck.

I know...Some of my classmates have a job. I cant find anything.

Im still jobless too... But i just graduated and am focusing on passing the boards, then i can spend more time really getting out there and finding a job.. I feel it would be easier once licensed anyways, right?

I have been trying hard to find a pharmacist job- no results.
I have sent my resume to probably 100 jobs, no luck....
Any advice? Or may be you guys have any vacancies that I could apply for?

Have you considered to recheck your resume? Is it tailored to a specific company or very general? Do you have something on there that stands out from the rest?

Try speaking directly with people. Sending online job applications is the same thing as putting a drop of paint into a water bucket.

You may have to look in rural areas for jobs if you are in a larger city. But try to get in contact with a recruiter instead of just applying for jobs as it can take months to hear back from some jobs when you apply online.

Assuming there are no obvious red flags on your resume, I'd consider getting different references. Many places are really looking at references these days, for you to not get any calls after sending out 100 applications, makes me wonder if one of your references is not giving you the reference you expect. I'd shake it up and get differences references--also make sure your references are all professional, people you have worked with or for (ideally supervisors rather than co-workers.) Professors can be used, but ideally only use them if you've really had a close relationship with them (ie if you worked as a student assistant with them or on some other project)

Same, everyone who calls me back says to call them back when I have a license. And no one wants to hire me as a tech because:

#1 - I want at least $16/hr.
#2 - I'd leave once I get licensed.

I just need to find a temporary job that pays well for the timebeing.

Same, everyone who calls me back says to call them back when I have a license.

I've been saying this all along....now y'all finally believe me.
This is why I laugh when I see a p3 asking when is the best time to apply for a job and see responses from P2s and prepharmers saying ASAP.

I've been saying this all along....now y'all finally believe me.
This is why I laugh when I see a p3 asking when is the best time to apply for a job and see responses from P2s and prepharmers saying ASAP.

I think they are getting bad information from people who graduated in the early 2000's. When I graduated everyone in my class had a job locked up, contract and sign on bonus signed by our job fair in February. This was a full 5 to 6 months before we would have our license. Hell a few of my class mates took a couple months off after pharmacy school to travel, relax, get married whatever and then started working. We could do this because in 5 to 6 months the companies we signed with would still have plenty of openings.

Anyone who hasn't had their head buried in the sand and has been paying attention on this board should know that things are quite different today. Do not even bother appling for jobs until you have you new license in hand. As a soon to be or newly graduated pharmacist your goal should be to get your license as fast as possible after you graduate. You better be the first one in your class to get it so you can have a jump on everyone else. You want to dick around for 2 months after you graduate like its 2004 then you will be at the end of a big line of newly graduated pharmacists competing for jobs. Your last two months of school should be spent studying for the Naplex and MPJE. As soon as you walk off the stage your first thought should be getting your paperwork in to NAPB and getting your ticket to test.

I think they are getting bad information from people who graduated in the early 2000's. When I graduated everyone in my class had a job locked up, contract and sign on bonus signed by our job fair in February. This was a full 5 to 6 months before we would have our license. Hell a few of my class mates took a couple months off after pharmacy school to travel, relax, get married whatever and then started working. We could do this because in 5 to 6 months the companies we signed with would still have plenty of openings.

Anyone who hasn't had their head buried in the sand and has been paying attention on this board should know that things are quite different today. Do not even bother appling for jobs until you have you new license in hand. As a soon to be or newly graduated pharmacist your goal should be to get your license as fast as possible after you graduate. You better be the first one in your class to get it so you can have a jump on everyone else. You want to dick around for 2 months after you graduate like its 2004 then you will be at the end of a big line of newly graduated pharmacists competing for jobs. Your last two months of school should be spent studying for the Naplex and MPJE. As soon as you walk off the stage your first thought should be getting your paperwork in to NAPB and getting your ticket to test.

Yeah, what bothers me though is no one even is looking to hire as a tech in the meanwhile.

Same, everyone who calls me back says to call them back when I have a license. And no one wants to hire me as a tech because:

#1 - I want at least $16/hr.
#2 - I'd leave once I get licensed.

I just need to find a temporary job that pays well for the timebeing.

Can you work as a tech when you don't have a tech license? You can work as a pharmacy intern but I am assuming they are not hiring pharmacy interns?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, what bothers me though is no one even is looking to hire as a tech in the meanwhile.

I would hire a tech for a tech position. I would never hire a grad intern as a tech who won't be able to work as a tech once licensed as a pharmacist. Now I have to find another tech to backfill and train. Oh hell no.

I would hire a tech for a tech position. I would never hire a grad intern as a tech who won't be able to work as a tech once licensed as a pharmacist. Now I have to find another tech to backfill and train. Oh hell no.

Or you could just have them work as a pharmacist. Same amount of people on staff, just gotta pay more.

Honestly though, what else is someone with a PharmD qualified to do that pays $20-30/hour in the meantime as a temp job? Hey McD's I wanna work for you guys flipping burgers but you gotta pay me $30/hour since I have a doctorate.

Last edited:
Or you could just have them work as a pharmacist. Same amount of people on staff, just gotta pay more.

How stupid is that. Why would I have pharmacist doing tech work? Are you stupid or something?

NY doesn't have licenses for techs. I'd think that a grad intern as more than qualified for a certified tech position.

It is not about qualification. There's no point in hiring you if they are not planning to hire you as a pharmacist.

I'm patiently waiting for the typical unethical/illegal sparda solution to arise to his current problem of unemployment. Perhaps conducting meth compounding 101 for dummies classes :p

I'm patiently waiting for the typical unethical/illegal sparda solution to arise to his current problem of unemployment. Perhaps conducting meth compounding 101 for dummies classes :p

The experiential component for this could involve watching the series run of Breaking Bad, followed by mixing up a batch of meth under time constraints in real-world conditions (i.e., suburban basements and trailers).

It would have the net result of improving resume appeal for new graduates, and providing a new revenue stream for banks sitting on distressed real estate in the suburbs, while simultaneously thinning out the number of distressed properties through the occasional explosion or fire, thus strengthening the local real estate market. Not to mention the potential for IPPEs with the local drug cartels, which would give people greater experience in retail sales and distribution. It's a win-win.

Why would a potential employer hire a tech who they know will leave them in a few months? It doesn't make since to hire a grad intern as a tech when you know they won't work as a pharmacist for you.

Just got a response from an out of state employer. They want me to get licensed in their state first, then to call them back about availability. Holy ****, I'm willing to move wherever there's a job, but I gotta know that the job is mine before I go an apply for a license in that state. What do you gotta do, get licensed in all states and then start shooting off the resume in all directions?

Just got a response from an out of state employer. They want me to get licensed in their state first, then to call them back about availability. Holy ****, I'm willing to move wherever there's a job, but I gotta know that the job is mine before I go an apply for a license in that state. What do you gotta do, get licensed in all states and then start shooting off the resume in all directions?

Congratulations!

Think of it from their perspective: they want to know you can get licensed in their state before offering you the job.

I'm thinking of just applying for licensing in all possible states I would live (there aren't many) when I graduate. Sounds like a total pain and expensive to boot, but it might expand my choices.

I thought you were doing a residency?

Congratulations!

Think of it from their perspective: they want to know you can get licensed in their state before offering you the job.

I'm thinking of just applying for licensing in all possible states I would live (there aren't many) when I graduate. Sounds like a total pain and expensive to boot, but it might expand my choices.
Just pay for the score transfer. It's pretty simple, actually. Reciprocity, on the other hand, is a total pain in the arse.

I thought you were doing a residency?

Just pay for the score transfer. It's pretty simple, actually. Reciprocity, on the other hand, is a total pain in the arse.

No residency. I got one interview and I didn't like the place.

Yeah, I'll just score transfer. From what I understand, you can do a score transfer for a certain amount of time after you take the test. What I'm confused about is the MPJE. Does the MPJE consist of questions about pharm law of all states or just New York, or does it not have state specific questions.

No residency. I got one interview and I didn't like the place.

Yeah, I'll just score transfer. From what I understand, you can do a score transfer for a certain amount of time after you take the test. What I'm confused about is the MPJE. Does the MPJE consist of questions about pharm law of all states or just New York, or does it not have state specific questions.

:smuggrin:

You can't be serious....

You can't be serious....

C'mon Sparda, you know its just for the state you are taking it in! (though there are some things that are somewhat similar in each state as they mirror each other in some ways, but its the nuances that will get you... but I'm licensed in 3 states and had no problem with the MPJE in any of them (though I am a good test taker), so you really shouldn't be too worried about taking several diff. ones. Definitely do the score transfer, its much better to have 2-3 original licesnses, rather than the reciprocal ones (remember you can't reciprocate off a reciprocity lic. so you need to have at least one original)

You can't be serious....

Someone hasn't paid attention in class. MPJE has a mix of federal and state laws. From a pool of questions, the state board will pick applicable questions.

Congratulations!

Great advice, I would say this would be a good strategy for most new grads, especially if you diversified to a few geographical areas (ie, don't be foolish and only get licensed in NY, NJ, PA, and DE, though I'm sure there are still some stellar new grads that can get jobs in the northeast region)

Hell, I wouldn't mind doing bartending at a club in NYC and dealing with drunk college students. However, I'm not a female.

I seen some male bartenders. Come to the East Village, lots of bars and drunk college students. I also just got a intern position, starting soon.

Great advice, I would say this would be a good strategy for most new grads, especially if you diversified to a few geographical areas (ie, don't be foolish and only get licensed in NY, NJ, PA, and DE, though I'm sure there are still some stellar new grads that can get jobs in the northeast region)

Of course. With the score transfer, I'd do NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, TX, LA, WA, OR, and IL.

C'mon Sparda, you know its just for the state you are taking it in! (though there are some things that are somewhat similar in each state as they mirror each other in some ways, but its the nuances that will get you... but I'm licensed in 3 states and had no problem with the MPJE in any of them (though I am a good test taker), so you really shouldn't be too worried about taking several diff. ones. Definitely do the score transfer, its much better to have 2-3 original licesnses, rather than the reciprocal ones (remember you can't reciprocate off a reciprocity lic. so you need to have at least one original)

That's what I mean though. Different MPJEs for different states. Now here is the real question, is there a discount if you're gonna get licensed in 5 states or are they gonna kill your wallet.

Of course. With the score transfer, I'd do NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, TX, LA, WA, OR, and IL.
Aren't these states already saturated? Wouldn't it be better to try some 'BFE' states like, I dunno, AK, IA, WY, MT, ND, NE, ...?

Aren't these states already saturated? Wouldn't it be better to try some 'BFE' states like, I dunno, AK, IA, WY, MT, ND, NE, ...?
TX or LA aren't exactly saturated. Certain areas are saturated, but you can still get a job, if employers have one to give...

I'll move anywhere, but it has got to be a major city.

You're probably going to have to change that paradigm if you want a job. Not saying its impossible, but I don't want to see you 18 months from now in a death spiral of unemployment. Look rural, young man. Suck it up, get experience, then apply for jobs when you are competitive for urban jobs.

I'll move anywhere, but it has got to be a major city.

Um, good luck with that. Though I guess you never know 'til you try...

And I'm all about getting licensed in multiple states, but that is a crapload of states you listed. You do know it's pretty expensive for each state, right?

And I'm all about getting licensed in multiple states, but that is a crapload of states you listed. You do know it's pretty expensive for each state, right?

You mean you have to pay every state and take an mpje for each state?
:eek:

It can add up. If he registered for all of the states at one time, it would save him some money. I believe it is $250 for the first state and $50 for additional state. He would also need to pay each state to take the MJPE ($200-250) and once he passed and licensed, he would need to pay an additional fee to register as a pharmacist ($200). Each license needs to be renewed every 2 year ($300).

It can add up. If he registered for all of the states at one time, it would save him some money. I believe it is $250 for the first state and $50 for additional state. He would also need to pay each state to take the MJPE ($200-250) and once he passed and licensed, he would need to pay an additional fee to register as a pharmacist ($200). Each license needs to be renewed every 2 year ($300).

Don't forget how much of a pain to keep each license current. Different law CEs, different renewal schedules, paying for licenses that aren't even being used. :rolleyes:

Lol. Maybe a national MPJE should be invented...take one and done.

Except most relevant pharmacy law is not Federal...

Some states require renewal every year. That reminds me that I need to renew one of my licenses this month.

Except most relevant pharmacy law is not Federal...

Some states require renewal every year. That reminds me that I need to renew one of my licenses this month.

Ahhhh god. And this is why professions need to be federally regulated rather than different from state to state. Same thing for driver licenses.

Pharmacist licenses/driver's license etc have to be regulated on the state level because of the constitution. The constitution makes no mention of such activities, and thus, regulations belong to the state.