Can't volunteer cuz of work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SayitIsntSO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if i should mention during my interview, if it comes up, that i was not able to volunteer a whole lot during my undergrad b/c of my jobs. I take 15 credits a semester every semester thus far and have worked every semester 15-20 hours per week. I am also an officer of the predental club on campus, but we dont really do a lot of volunteering. I am just having a hard time to balance shadowing experience, working, 15 credits (ok thats not a lot, but im no genius, so i study my ass off, and we all know how labs can screw you with 4 hours for 1 credit not including the hours to write a lab report), intramural sports, studying for the DAT, and volunteering. My parents aren't exactly willing to give me money to hold me over to volunteer. Also, during the summers, I work about 50 hours per week for various jobs. And when I say little volunterring, i mean about 20 hours all undergrad. Has anyone else suffered this? Any suggestions of how to handle this predicament?

Members don't see this ad.

well, no where does it say that volunteering is absolutely required. Sure, it beefs up your application, but if you really didn't have the time and opportunity to do it, it won't hurt your chances all that much as long as you have other extracurriculars. I wouldn't worry about it all that much. In my case, I never did any research in undergrad...but I had plenty of other extracurriculars such that the lack of research never did come up as an issue. Volunteering should be the same. Not everyone can do every single thing asked on the application...a job, volunteer, clubs, research, dental shadowing and school is very hard to do.