Cardio application discussion thread: '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't heard anything from the following programs:

CWRU
Michigan State
Providence
St John's
Henry Ford
Ill Masonic
St Louis U

I also wanted to check if anyone wants to swab interviews for Washington University in St Louis.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks,appreciate your input.
Guys after match in june please mention whether you guys matched.Atleast it will help our juniors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has Loyola in Maywood Illinois sent out interview offers?

Medical College of Wisconsin, LSU Shreveport has sent out interviews.

Drexel IV via ERAS today

Those are not my interviews, I just found so posted!!

on a side note, anyone know much about LSU-shrevport? seems like there's 4 fellows/year. Do you know how many they interview? I got notified of two interview invite days available. and they were unusual in that they emailed using regular email rather than thorugh ERAS.

:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

Dear fellow applicants and the silent others,

So in almost every rejection I have received they make reference to a record number of applicants. Is this true? Are there really more "High quality" applicants this year? I asked a program director during one of my interviews: "How many applications did people typically submit when you were applying for cardiology training?" He said one or two applications was enough. I know My own program is interviewing between 10-15 applicants per spot. That does seem competitive...but is this year more unusual?

An thought if this is an especially competitive year and/or any speculation on why? Input form any program directors out there would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of competitiveness this year, I have wondered the same thing, especially after being mired in rejections.

I have heard that this year has been extremely competitive. One of the people on our selection committee has stated that this year there are several applicants that are more qualified than even some of his colleagues.

did anyone hear from scripps in san diego? its past the half way point in march, i'll be surprised if they still have not send out any interviews.

St. Elizabeth's (Boston) & West Virginia are inviting.

interviews are coming to a standstill.

but anyone got the IV from Med College of Goergia?

Lahey Clinic and SUNY stony Brook (Long Island) are inviting

Lahey Clinic invite via phone on Friday

received an email from baylor college of medicine today which adds insult to injury :confused: I had already received a rejection about a month ago when the sent the usual "waitlisted" email.

"On behalf of Dr. Lakkis, we would like to thank you again for your interest
and application to the Cardiovascular Disease Fellowship at Baylor College of I had Medicine for 2010.
At this time, we have concluded our interview process for the referenced
academic year and will not be inviting any other applicants.
Best of luck in your future endeavors."

received an email from baylor college of medicine today which adds insult to injury :confused: I had already received a rejection about a month ago when the sent the usual "waitlisted" email.

"On behalf of Dr. Lakkis, we would like to thank you again for your interest
and application to the Cardiovascular Disease Fellowship at Baylor College of I had Medicine for 2010.
At this time, we have concluded our interview process for the referenced
academic year and will not be inviting any other applicants.
Best of luck in your future endeavors."

That's actually not that rude. Rude is when they never get back to you one way or the other...

got IV from texas tech. anoyone know how many positions there are?

Rejection West virginia university via eras

Another rejection- Univ of Nebraska

That's actually not that rude. Rude is when they never get back to you one way or the other...

Or when a chair of the department blatantly lies to you about how the match works which is what the head of Baylor cardiology did several years ago to me. Did he not realize I would actually know how the match works?

Or when a chair of the department blatantly lies to you about how the match works which is what the head of Baylor cardiology did several years ago to me. Did he not realize I would actually know how the match works?

Really? Do you mean the PD or the dept. chair? I actually thought the Baylor folks were very nice when I interviewed there, and I ranked the place highly. I think the current dept. chair is well thought of in the cardiology community (I mean academia) for being a nice person...or at least that is what I have heard.

Faculty rarely reply to 'thank you' notes for fellowship. Does it really matter if they reply or no..?

Faculty rarely reply to 'thank you' notes for fellowship. Does it really matter if they reply or no..?

I rarely respond to the thank you emails I get. what's the point? I really don't have much to say. And I play no role in the listing process, so if they are trying to "butter" up to me, they are wasting their time.

Really? Do you mean the PD or the dept. chair? I actually thought the Baylor folks were very nice when I interviewed there, and I ranked the place highly. I think the current dept. chair is well thought of in the cardiology community (I mean academia) for being a nice person...or at least that is what I have heard.

I think he was both. He called me a few weeks after the match, asking where I was going to rank baylor. I didn't want to say "1" because then he could offer me a spot out of the match and he knew I would be lying if I said "no". So, I said I was thinking of ranking them one or two, and then he told me that it was important I tell them as if I ranked them 2, and they ranked me in their 2nd group, it would increase the chances of me matching there. Really?

The guy had some ethical problems I didn't even know about at the time...he was under suspension from doing clinical research due to IRB violations. Not surprised.

U. of Kentucky inviting - snail mail
Med. Col of GA also inviting (e-mail)

I rarely respond to the thank you emails I get. what's the point? I really don't have much to say. And I play no role in the listing process, so if they are trying to "butter" up to me, they are wasting their time.
I think it has more value than just ''buttering up!''..think about professionalism may be...

OK, I know its late, but any word from:

USC
Cedars

Thanks

Any word from SUNY upstate, downstate and buffalo?

don't know about USC but cedars sent out interviews already, not sure if those were initial with some still pending but i would guess this late in the game they probably sent out all the initial batch.

keeping it in cali has anyone heard form scripps or kaiser san francisco?

getting tired from interviewing... any advice on how to stay perky?

I am at the middle end of my interview trail and will cancel those programs where i don't want to go anymore and I am close to being broke.

I saw an applicant literally dozed off during conference and then made a quiet early exit from the interview day (he had to catch his flight).
One program made us wait around in a room, doing absolutely nothing other than talking to each other. The 10+ of us waited for about 6 hours for our turns to be interviewed; 3 interviewees looked visible upset and we all thought that was rude.

I am so glad it's almost over!

Cardsdriven,

We must have interviewed at the same program...what a long and tiring day!
I feel that all of us are getting tired of the whole process. I have canceled some of my interviews, the far away ones and the ones I don't want to go to. (my credit card is maxed out as well).

It is late in the season. Surprising enough, I still received a couple of interviews this past week.

Take care!

I have several friends agonizing through the process - so for those of you cancelling interviews, I would urge you to do it as soon as you have decided not to go - you never know, it could make the difference for another applicant. This is directed at anyone, I figure most people are cancelling expediently.

Anyone hear from University of Miami or University of North Carolina? It is getting kind of ridiculous now as far as how late people are offering.

Status
Not open for further replies.