Cardiology 2009-2010 application thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IV from Mount Sinai today

Members don't see this ad.

BAYLOR COLLEGE OF MEDICINE
TEXAS HEART INST.
UNIV. OF ROCHESTER
UNIV. OF VIRGINIA
MASSACHUSETTS GENERAL HOSPITAL
YALE NEW HEAVEN
UNIV. OF WASH.
U.T. SOUTHWESTERN
UPENN
COLUMBIA
MOUNT SINAI today

TEXAS HEART INST.
UNIV. OF ROCHESTER
UNIV. OF VIRGINIA
YALE NEW HEAVEN
UNIV. OF WASH.
U.T. SOUTHWESTERN
UPENN
COLUMBIA
MOUNT SINAI today

Unrelated, but I had a question. Even though Cleveland Clinic and Mayo get high marks on US News and WR for cards, I get the sense that they are not the most competitive fellowships. (Seems like people from Hopkins, MGH, BWH, UCSF prefer to do fellowships at the Harvard programs, or Hopkins.) Is that because CC and Mayo are not considered as prestigious as those programs, or is it because CC and Mayo specifically would rather not fill their cards programs with Harvard and Hopkins residents?

Members don't see this ad :)
Unrelated, but I had a question. Even though Cleveland Clinic and Mayo get high marks on US News and WR for cards, I get the sense that they are not the most competitive fellowships. (Seems like people from Hopkins, MGH, BWH, UCSF prefer to do fellowships at the Harvard programs, or Hopkins.) Is that because CC and Mayo are not considered as prestigious as those programs, or is it because CC and Mayo specifically would rather not fill their cards programs with Harvard and Hopkins residents?

Actually the Cleveland Clinic Cardiology fellowship regularly takes residents from Hopkins, MGH and other top IM residencies. It is very competitive to get an interview. However, because it is one of the largest programs in terms of # of fellows and they don't take a lot of Cleveland Clinic residents, your chances of matching may be a bit higher than Hopkins or MGH once you are selected for interview.

Mayo is a special case because of the location - many applicants from the coasts do not apply there.

So what do you think are the top programs. Here's my guess based on hearsay, research, reputation, competition to get interviews, etc.

Tier 1:
MGH, Brigham, Hopkins, Cleveland Clinic, Columbia

Tier 1a:
Duke, Penn, UCSF, Stanford, Texas Heart, UTSW, Mayo

Tier 2:
Emory, WashU, UCLA, Cedars-Sinai, BIDMC, UCSD, Cornell, UMich, NW, many others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

So what do you think are the top programs. Here's my guess based on hearsay, research, reputation, competition to get interviews, etc.

Tier 1:

Tier 1a:

Tier 2:
Emory, WashU, UCLA, Cedars-Sinai, BIDMC, UCSD, Cornell, UMich, NW, many others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

I lost a lot of sleep last night thinking about this; my conclusion is that this list is about as formal and means as much as that old Seinfeld episode where Jerry's dad wore a "#1 Dad" T-shirt and ticked off Mr. Mendelbaum.

But as long as we're organizing the best programs into arbitrary tiers, I'm pretty sure the Hopkins folks are now furious they are third and not first on the list and you just lost any chance of matching at Duke by making them 1a.

In all seriousness, I think the answer is yes, period. when you list the 15 best programs, nobody will disagree with you that they are, in fact, the best, and you can expect disagreement about which program is #1, based on which East Coast school you came from to ensure that your pride isn't hurt. Good hunting trying to break this list down further.

As an ex-Mayo resident, I would say that a lot of it has to do with location. I might also add that Mayo cardiology is not as hands-on as Cleveland Clinic. The 2 reasons explain to a large extent why Mayo loses out.

Tier 1:

Tier 1a:

Tier 2:

mostly agree- would take Cedars out of tier 2 and add Uwashington and UAB to the list at tier 2.

And now people can fight more!;)

Interviews:
Duke
OHSU
Emory
UMichigan
UWash
UTSW
Cleveland Clinic
Brigham
UCSD

Rejections:
Mass Gen
Hopkins
UPenn
Wash U
UChicago today

Haven't heard from and others have here:
Stanford, UVA, UCSF, Columbia, Cornell

best of luck to everyone

As an ex-Mayo resident, I would say that a lot of it has to do with location. I might also add that Mayo cardiology is not as hands-on as Cleveland Clinic. The 2 reasons explain to a large extent why Mayo loses out.

What do you mean by "not as hands-on"?

any info on the cardiology program at ochsners? thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone hear from Mayo BID or university of mn?

Anyone heard from an NYC program other than Columbia, Cornell and Sinai?

just joined after perusing this board for fun (fellow residents are on it all the time!). not sure this is the best place but, having matched in an east coast program last year, thought I'd share my thoughts on a recent post on "tiers" of programs ---

your top tiers of programs are completely dependent on what you want out of cards. so know yourself first. if you want to run a program one day yourself or really change things on a large scale via research, then shooting for mgh, brigham, hopkins makes sense. if, however, you want to be a clinical badass and a reknowned investigator, then there are ***lots*** of options and, in some cases, they are mutually exclusive to the above programs. keep in mind also that location plays a huge role in the level of competition for a spot. finally, this is *not* residency. you play for keeps now - lots of friends gunned for east coast programs for residency but then went back to _______(insert lesser known small program) for fellowship because of family/friends/or sometimes even specific research interests (dr. glutton biopsies pulmonary hypertension hearts to study cytokine X there).

so, with "relativity" in mind - my objective was to get great training, have the option for great research opportunities/future, a good shot at signing a contract to stay on, go somewhere where i could get family help to raise a kid. that said, some of the high power programs still charmed me despite cost of living and other negatives because thats what famous people do to me apparently...make me lose sight of priorities. so if you are like me, you will rank -

Tier 1:
~brigham, hopkins, columbia (not ashamed to say i got rejected from penn, MGH, UCSF so i can't comment on them but maybe they would have wooed me)
not much to be said...you've heard it all before if you value that sort of thing.

THE REST (because its really that simple) in a rough order:
~cleveland clinic
in a league of its own for clinical training - make no mistake about it. if you live to be a clinical hero - this one is for you and its tier 0.5). oh yea, and you get PAID (for call). training is forever but location...

~stanford, bid, pittsburgh, mount sinai, nyu, cornell, NW, colorado, UW, WashU, MI...
the next few being strong names in big competitive cities but lacking on personal levels. stanford...hard to come up with negatives but maybe volume? maybe i dont know what i'm talking about...also distance from east coast. pittsburgh - you will come out a clinical badass,they will love/support the hell out of you if you publish but obviously has less of a reputation than the formers and certainly not world reknowned outside of heart transplant (pitt kinda felt like the clinic except run by a bunch of former mgh people. but you get PAID for call as well which is rare). sinai being arguably the "nicest feeling" program in nyc (and i checked them all out essentially) but less volume (cath aside) and slightly less research opportunities but nyc and certainly a great name in its own right. and they give you a living space stipend that was quite generous. then the rest of new york...the next few being good lifestyle programs in terms of family also with great training though a bit unclear about specific training strengths with the last few. Udub had a great feeling and seemed like a program that would *support* whatever dream even if private practice (RARE with the "top tier" programs). MI would be higher if I was into EP more than cath.

thats my take that should be valuable to only a few of you. most of these programs are varying degrees of academic. if you are more open to the midwest, south etc then its a different list. there are also (essentially) private practice training facilities out there that are very highly ranked on the charts where I bet training would be world class but academic opportunities few and far between.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any experience with the Allegheny Program in Pittsburgh, PA? Has anyone interviewed there? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

University of Wisconsin - Rejection
Washington University, Seattle - Rejection

Last edited:
:thumbup: Cleveland Clinic, University of Nebraska, University of Arizona
:thumbdown: University of Michigan, OHSU, Wash U, UTSW, Baylor-Dallas, Texas A&M, University of Wisconsin, University of Iowa, Emory, Texas Heart

Interview Today: Minnesota
Interviews:
UW
OHSU
UCSF
Stanford
Kaiser
UC Davis
Colorado
Michigan
Minnesota
NW
Pittsburgh
Duke
UNC
Hopkins
Brown

Waiting: BIDMC, BWH, Mayo, CPMC

has anyone heard anything from the NY progs apart from Mt Sinai, Cornell, Columbia?

IV:
1.UCLA
2.Emory
3.Columbia
4.BU
5.UMDNJ

Rej - minnesota by mail

does anyone know if ut-houston or galveston have started sending out IV?
Thanks

Has anyone heard (IV/ rejections) from Cornell, Temple (Philadelphia). Florida programs? do they interview late?

TEXAS HEART INST.
UNIV. OF ROCHESTER
UNIV. OF VIRGINIA
YALE NEW HEAVEN
UNIV. OF WASH.
U.T. SOUTHWESTERN
UPENN
COLUMBIA
MOUNT SINAI
UFLORIDA
UMIAMI
BETH ISRAEL DEACONESS today by mail ; letter dated feb 10

IV from Univ of Chicago --- Wondering how probable for an IMG to match here..Any info?:xf:

IV from Univ of Chicago --- Wondering how probable for an IMG to match here..Any info?:xf:

Dude, They invited you! What do you think?

Unless you're brooklyn decker, i doubt that its to see your face!

Are people just not posting anymore or is nobody getting anymore interview invites?

vanderbilt rejection today.
Univ Kentucky invite early this week.

I agree people arent posting anymore.

Anyone hear from Monte/NYU/UT Houston/galveston??

still waiting for lots of NYC/NJ programs

No love from Vanderbilt. NO IV, only collecting RE for the past 2-3 weeks. :(
getting so frustrated now.....can they just send me a rejection so at least i do not have to wait...i never realizzzzzed its going to be so frustrating.....:oops:

After a couple weeks of only rejections

IV from University of Kansas today

I am finally deciding to contribute after stalking the thread for a couple of weeks.

To those few of you asking about Oschner: Oschner has started handing out interviews (received an invite from them a couple of weeks ago).

I too am waiting to hear from UT Houston. Has anyone heard anything from them?

I see that a few people have received invites/rejects from Baylor-Dallas. I am interviewing there in a couple of weeks. Any input, either good or bad, about the program?

from Advocate Lutheran General in Chicago, today. Could not deny my frustration anymore. :annoyed:

I am finally deciding to contribute after stalking the thread for a couple of weeks.

To those few of you asking about Oschner: Oschner has started handing out interviews (received an invite from them a couple of weeks ago).

I too am waiting to hear from UT Houston. Has anyone heard anything from them?

I see that a few people have received invites/rejects from Baylor-Dallas. I am interviewing there in a couple of weeks. Any input, either good or bad, about the program?

IV:
1. Rochester
2. Utah
3. Michigan
4. Cleveland Clinic
5. Texas Heart
6. University of Washington
7. Wisconsin
8. U of Florida
9. U of Oklahoma
10. Loyola (chicago)

Rejects: Pitt, Arizona, Duke, UTSW-dallas, Vandy, WashU