Cardiology as a DO after the merger?

Started by papito22
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The merger will have an affect on top tier competitive specialties for DOs. Cardio is a fellowship for internal medicine and is hard to get into regardless but the merger won't rlly have any impact it will more come down to your expieriences scores and if the PD has a
Bias against DO students
 
Let's say there's an MD school that's submerged half-way underwater, the faculty have all left, and the students have to learn everything on their own. Program Directors would still prefer the MD from this broken down school then a DO from a well run osteopathic school.

I'm sorry, discrimination is discrimination, and I don't think that will change overnight.

Also the comments around a DO getting ACGME Neurosurgery. Let's put it this way, I have a better chance of getting into the NBA, and I'm 5ft10.

WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN to LESSEN DISCRIMINATION:
1. DO schools MUST INCORPORATE RESEARCH into their curriculum. This. is. a. must.
2. DO schools MUST TEACH TOWARDS USMLE. This. is. a. must. x1000
isn't that the story of AUC?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Let's say there's an MD school that's submerged half-way underwater, the faculty have all left, and the students have to learn everything on their own. Program Directors would still prefer the MD from this broken down school then a DO from a well run osteopathic school.

I'm sorry, discrimination is discrimination, and I don't think that will change overnight.

Also the comments around a DO getting ACGME Neurosurgery. Let's put it this way, I have a better chance of getting into the NBA, and I'm 5ft10.

WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN to LESSEN DISCRIMINATION:
1. DO schools MUST INCORPORATE RESEARCH into their curriculum. This. is. a. must.
2. DO schools MUST TEACH TOWARDS USMLE. This. is. a. must. x1000

Dude you don’t know what you are talking about. DO schools teach SCIENCE material towards USMLE and COMLEX because there no difference in the material you must know. COMLEX just incorporates additional questions about OMM. AND many many many programs have a lot of research opportunities in fact most DO schools do but you won’t know any of this if you didn’t do your research or interview at programs.
 
Let's say there's an MD school that's submerged half-way underwater, the faculty have all left, and the students have to learn everything on their own. Program Directors would still prefer the MD from this broken down school then a DO from a well run osteopathic school.

I'm sorry, discrimination is discrimination, and I don't think that will change overnight.

Also the comments around a DO getting ACGME Neurosurgery. Let's put it this way, I have a better chance of getting into the NBA, and I'm 5ft10.

WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN to LESSEN DISCRIMINATION:
1. DO schools MUST INCORPORATE RESEARCH into their curriculum. This. is. a. must.
2. DO schools MUST TEACH TOWARDS USMLE. This. is. a. must. x1000

This sounds like a fun numbers game (i know you were probably exaggerating but im bored and procrastinating)

HS bball to NBA -> 1 / 3248
NCAA to NBA -> 1/365

DOs applying ACGME neurosurg 3/10 (2 applied with sub 200s, and 2 applied without USMLE 1 of those 2 matched), DOs w/ USMLE 240+ 2/4, DOs with USMLE 230+ 2/5. Meanwhile this is not including the stellar applicants that matched AOA and does include applicants that most likely didnt match AOA.

Overall stats including people with no interest in neurosurg are still better than chance of getting into NBA from HS. (Assuming you didnt play college ball, but my guess is most people playing college ball would consider an NBA offer while not all DOs want nsurg. So youd be better off comparing nsurg applicant to matches not overall dos to matched)

3/6350 (better than 1/3248 to NBA)

Add in the 10 AOA matches (some of these applicants have CVs that would still allow them to match post merger contrary to popular belief, but youd have to be insane to skip the AOA match gunning for nsurg.)

13/6350 (6350 people most of whom have no interest in nsurg)

Chances are definitely lower than MDs though
205/230 matched, 205/20,000ish.

I agree with your last two statements.
 
Let's say there's an MD school that's submerged half-way underwater, the faculty have all left, and the students have to learn everything on their own. Program Directors would still prefer the MD from this broken down school then a DO from a well run osteopathic school.

I'm sorry, discrimination is discrimination, and I don't think that will change overnight.

Also the comments around a DO getting ACGME Neurosurgery. Let's put it this way, I have a better chance of getting into the NBA, and I'm 5ft10.

WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN to LESSEN DISCRIMINATION:
1. DO schools MUST INCORPORATE RESEARCH into their curriculum. This. is. a. must.
2. DO schools MUST TEACH TOWARDS USMLE. This. is. a. must. x1000

My school matched someone to Mayo Neurosurgery last year.

NEXT.