Cardiology fellowship application 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thoughts on the following programs for ranking? Strongest / Weakest etc. Goal is interventional/ EP

Wake Forest
VCU
Virginia Tech
Mayo Florida
MCG
University of Kentucky Lexington
University of Tennessee Knoxville
University of Kansas
St. Lukes Mid America heart
SLU

Members don't see this ad.

Thoughts on the following programs for ranking? Strongest / Weakest etc. Goal is interventional/ EP

Wake Forest
VCU
Virginia Tech
Mayo Florida
MCG
University of Kentucky Lexington
University of Tennessee Knoxville
University of Kansas
St. Lukes Mid America heart
SLU

In tiers
1) UK / VCU
2) MCG, mayo florida, UT knox, SLU, U kansas

I don't know much about wake / st lukes. Solid mid tier programs there I think differentiating would come down to your personal likes / dislikes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Interested to see how you guys would rank these programs

USC (carolina)
Loyola
UIC
UC (cincinnati)
Wash U

Any thoughts about University of Colorado's program? Seemed very well rounded at interview day but not mentioned much in these forums, so curious for others' input, thank you.

Crickets from interest emails to program directors. Is this normal or if they are interested they will respond?
I’ve heard of people getting ranked to match emails already.

Any thoughts about University of Colorado's program? Seemed very well rounded at interview day but not mentioned much in these forums, so curious for others' input, thank you.
Great location obviously but I had heard from past interview years it was a malignant program and I think that might still be true. Fellows seemed like they were worked very hard. Also heard rumors about the fellows having troubles getting numbers.

Wow really? I was under the impression that PDs can’t say rank to match, technically. What are your thoughts if they say strong candidate for our program?? Is that different than clearly saying rank to match?

It also depends what programs are we talking about, small community or university programs? Any idea?

Thank you! I received three responses saying I would be a great fit for their program but none said "rank to match". Do they only say rank to match if they are definitely taking me? As someone mentioned above, people have been getting rank to match emails. I would love your thoughts on this.

My question remains which programs are we talking about. I got responses from middle tier university or community programs. And yeah generic wording like ‘great fit’, we love to have you here etc but nothing like rank to match. Didnt hear from my best programs though. Hows it for you guys?

What are your thoughts on Spectrum Health/MSU in Grand Rapids in MI?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are people’s thoughts on Yale’s program? Obviously they have the name but are they considered to be in the same league as the top academic powerhouses (i.e. Duke, Hopkins, MGH, UCSF, etc)?

How would you guys rank:

Northwestern
Emory
Vanderbilt
Duke
Yale
UPMC
Scripps

thank you!

Would love to get thoughts on the below programs and how to rank:

University of Miami
Wake Forest
UC Davis
Temple
University of Nebraska

Thank you! I received three responses saying I would be a great fit for their program but none said "rank to match". Do they only say rank to match if they are definitely taking me? As someone mentioned above, people have been getting rank to match emails. I would love your thoughts on this.

They can say whatever they want and it could mean something or nothing. Ignore it all.

What are people’s thoughts on Yale’s program? Obviously they have the name but are they considered to be in the same league as the top academic powerhouses (i.e. Duke, Hopkins, MGH, UCSF, etc)?

Don't confuse undergrad prestige, IM prestige and cardiology prestige.

Geisinger is a great program, supportive PD and very good scedule. The only thing taking away from it is the location and the fact that they don't do LVADs and transplants. Overall very strong clinical training. Send you to UPenn for HF elective for 4 wks though.

I'm at Geisinger and we are implanting LVADs. Put in 2 this month. True we don't have transplant

Happy Halloween everyone -

Any thoughts about Houston Methodist Program???

Thank you

What do you guys think about Cleveland Florida and Mount Sinai Florida?

Is it just me?! I feel this forum ONLY answers when someone asks about some ivy league programs whereas nobody cares about mid-tear programs! I‘ve seen many people asking about mid-tear programs and nobody responded!

Is it just me?! I feel this forum ONLY answers when someone asks about some ivy league programs whereas nobody cares about mid-tear programs! I‘ve seen many people asking about mid-tear programs and nobody responded!

I would say it is because everyone has an opinion on the big name places ... coupled with the peculiar demographic that already is SDN...

Ranking is tough because even if you ask fellows ... they only know their home program. Makes comparing mid tier / low tier (where the vast majority of us will end up) very difficult.

What do you guys think about Cleveland Florida and Mount Sinai Florida?

Very different. I think weston, fl would be much more cush (more hand holding / better hours) with better structured didactics / education however you would likely lack a lot of the diversity of pathology seen in miami.

Ill try one more time...

Hi everyone seeing what you all think about my rank order. These are by no means upper tier or even mid tier places so I don't expect a lot of the stellar applicants on here to have any clue about them but any help is appreciated.

Westchester Medical Center
Mount Sinai West-St. Lukes Roosevelt
Cooper
University of Arizona Phoenix
Rutgers NJMS
Virginia Tech(location not ideal)
Newark Beth Israel
Mount Sinai Brooklyn Hospital Program
SUNY Downstate
University of Miami JFK Medical Center

Out of these I only know about following places:
1. Westchester Medical center - PD and chief very supportive. Overall I felt good clinical training with a supportive program. Also close to New York.
2. SLR - again a strong clinical program, seems to be growing - Dr Narula is definitely one of the strengths and I heard about Gregg Stone joining which would be massive name.
3. I did not like Newark Beth Israel - few fellows and a very busy program - If it was me I would move it lower.
4. Uni Miami JFK - huge hospital with lots of volumes. Its a busy program but good for location and training.

I don't know about the rest of the programs.

How would you rank these programs?
1. Monte Albert Einstein
2. Mount Sinai Clinical Track
3. Loma Linda
4. Westchester Medical Center
5. Lehigh Valley
6. Medical College of Wisconsin

I sent an email to my number one letting them know (no response), but after this I got a couple very late surprise interview invites and one of these is now my number one. I want to let the new program know and send a number 1 email (and rank them number 1) but feel terrible now about the email to the first program (in my defense I wasn't expecting any more invites). Advice?

I sent an email to my number one letting them know (no response), but after this I got a couple very late surprise interview invites and one of these is now my number one. I want to let the new program know and send a number 1 email (and rank them number 1) but feel terrible now about the email to the first program (in my defense I wasn't expecting any more invites). Advice?
[/QUOTE

I think you should not feel terrible at all. Life happens and things change. After all you should do what is best for you!

Hi guys can any give some advice/info regarding

Rutgers NJMS
Cooper

Thanks

Wondering how you guys would rank these:
TJUH
Utah
Boston medical center
Ohio State

Maybe interested in EP but not sure at this point.
Thanks!

What do you guys think about these programs?

Cristiana Care
Loma Linda
Allhegany General Hospital
Baystate

Thank you!

Wondering how you guys would rank these:
TJUH
Utah
Boston medical center
Ohio State

Maybe interested in EP but not sure at this point.
Thanks!

BU doesn't have a transplant program- I don;t know how important that is to you. I'd say Ohio state>BU

how does northwell-manhasset compare to NYC programs i.e montefiore, NYU and such

I recently had a paper accepted to a major journal. Would it be useful at all to update programs that I interviewed at or would it just be noise. Don’t want to be that annoying applicant.

I recently had a paper accepted to a major journal. Would it be useful at all to update programs that I interviewed at or would it just be noise. Don’t want to be that annoying applicant.

Most if not all programs ranked applicants already, a paper won't change anything, just my 2 cents on this, goodluck :)

Hi, any thoughts on ranking these programs?
UT Houston
Baylor
UT San Antonio
SLU
Case western
Lahey
LSU-New Orleans
Uconn
toledo

Hi, can anyone on this thread comment on Emory vs Vanderbilt vs Baylor college of medicine?
I'm leaning towards Vandy since they seem the most balanced program but if anyone has any thoughts, I'd really appreciate it!
Vandy >>>Baylor =Emory

Any thoughts on
SLU(St. Louis)
NYU Winthrop
Jersey Shore University Medical Center
Rutgers NJMS
MCG Augusta
SUNY Downstate

Leaning towards non-invasive/heart failure/imaging. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Thoughts on UMKC vs KU?
Does cook county have as much scutwork in fellowship as it is rumored to have in residency?
Thoughts on Maimonides?

Cook County cardiology fellowship is an extremely busy program. Very busy call schedule. The whole program is fellow dependent. Good didactics but not a good place if you want interventional due to poor placement.

How would you guys rank UAB vs U of Minnesota vs Baylor (Houston)?

(Asking for a friend)
Thank you