Cardiology fellowship application 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know anything about Tulane or SLU?

Members don't see this ad.

Posting again. Any help would be appreciated.
Hi, any thoughts on ranking these programs? Interested in interventional
UT Houston
Baylor
UT San Antonio
SLU
Case western
Lahey
LSU-New Orleans
Uconn
toledo

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! Wanted your insight into
VCU
Loma Linda
UMass
AGH
Univ Vermont
SLR
Loyola

It's honestly crazy how we rank these places with such little meaningful information

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys! Wanted your insight into
VCU
Loma Linda
UMass
AGH
Univ Vermont
SLR
Loyola
i interviewed with VCU, AGH and Loyola. I will rank Loyla> VCU > AGH because of location. All strong and busy programs but Loyola is stronger in imaging and research. Their call schedule is better than many other programs and they have an inhouse interventional attending at night. VCU seemed so busy, large VA, seperate call schedule for VA, several inpatient rotations. Strong MRI program. AGH has everything but not academic. High volume tertiary center.

Curious to see what you guys think about Loyola vs OHSU!
i will rank OHSU higher than loyola. I loved the city and the people there. Convenient call schedule. They have everything but transplant on hold, will run again soon. Very good didactics, humble faculty. Loyola has no weakness in any subspecialties, very strong in imaging, high volume center.

Can you lovely folks give some input regarding how they compare

Cooper
NJMS
Westchester

Thanks!

Anyone have any thoughts on Ochsner? All I really can find is dated info from years ago.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Thoughts on Ohio State vs UIC?
I didn't interview at OSU but UIC was fairly disappointing. Trying to be a research powerhouse but lacks big names. Volumes are a concern at the university hospital and all the tertiary care is shipped to Advocate Christ (they do the CTO opens, LVADs, transplants, etc etc). Not enough elective time. Overall, I wasn't that impressed with the program.

Loma Linda is a great program. Here’s why:

- Tertiary academic center with huge catchment area in Inland Empire = lots of cases
- Advanced transplant center
- No IC or EP fellows = General fellows get a lot of hands-on experience (can be a thousand caths during your 3 years if you want)
- Live in beautiful Southern California. 1hr from LA, 1.5 hrs from San Diego, 45 minutes from Palm Springs, 45 mins from Big Bear Mountain.
- Has cardiology only moonlighting opportunities integrated with call schedules (can make
- Matched fellows in top programs including
> IC: Mt Sinai, Ucsf, ucla
> heart failure: baylor
> ep: mgh, Uwash.
- Chill call schedule (home call) w/ 1 weekday q2 weeks and 1 weekend q4weeks
- lots of research - heavily represented at ACC
- building new shiny hospital thats going to be 2nd largest in California.
- Program director very supportive and protective of fellows
- Has VA and County rotations
- Except for VA, all EMS are Epic
- Attendings are from prestigious hospitals (Mayo, Mt Sinai, Brigham, Stanford, UCLA, UCSF among others).

How would you guys rank Loyola vs Mt Sinai clinical track?

Members don't see this ad :)
Loma Linda is a great program. Here’s why:

- Tertiary academic center with huge catchment area in Inland Empire = lots of cases
- Advanced transplant center
- No IC or EP fellows = General fellows get a lot of hands-on experience (can be a thousand caths during your 3 years if you want)
- Live in beautiful Southern California. 1hr from LA, 1.5 hrs from San Diego, 45 minutes from Palm Springs, 45 mins from Big Bear Mountain.
- Has cardiology only moonlighting opportunities integrated with call schedules (can make
- Matched fellows in top programs including
> IC: Mt Sinai, Ucsf, ucla
> heart failure: baylor
> ep: mgh, Uwash.
- Chill call schedule (home call) w/ 1 weekday q2 weeks and 1 weekend q4weeks
- lots of research - heavily represented at ACC
- building new shiny hospital thats going to be 2nd largest in California.
- Program director very supportive and protective of fellows
- Has VA and County rotations
- Except for VA, all EMS are Epic
- Attendings are from prestigious hospitals (Mayo, Mt Sinai, Brigham, Stanford, UCLA, UCSF among others).

Hi
I IVd there and really liked it. They didn't have a lot of research coming out in terms of manuscripts, but I may be wrong. Do they have ecmo?

Hi
I IVd there and really liked it. They didn't have a lot of research coming out in terms of manuscripts, but I may be wrong. Do they have ecmo?

There is a monthly research meeting where the pd and other attendings discuss ongoing research projects. Manuscript wise - not sure, but posters a lot. No ecmo now but talk is they will have ecmo once their new building opens (january 2021). One other advantage I havent mentioned before is there are a lot of job opportunities as attendings because the hospital is expanding aggressively.

Curious to know how you guys would compare between Henry Ford and University of Wisconsin-Madison... Thanks!

Any comments on Beaumont vs. Rush? , interested in interventional, but would like to be in am overall well rounded program.

Thanks!

Thoughts on ranking the following?
Stony Brook
Hofstra NSLIJ
NYMC Westchester
UConn/Hartford
UMass Med

Good luck to everyone!

SLU vs LSU New Orleans vs UT San Antonio, how would u guys rank?

This might be a dumb question out of paranoia, but is there a way on NRMP website that differentiate fellowship vs residency match?

This might be a dumb question out of paranoia, but is there a way on NRMP website that differentiate fellowship vs residency match?
It says medical specialities matching program.

Anybody know the call schedules for Northwell/LIJ and Stony Brook? Hoping to rank these two programs, and couldn't remember what the schedules are like.

Can you please provide your opinion on how I should rank the following programs?

- Loma Linda
- Einstein Medical Center, Philadelphia
- Cook County, Chicago
- Lehigh Valley, Allentown
- Mount Sinai Beth Israel, New York

Hey guys, just wanted to reach out again and see what everyone's general impression of Reading/ Tower Health's new program is? I don't have much information about it but know that Drexel will be opening a new medical school in Reading in a year. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Curious to know how many of you got a reply to your ‘ranking #1’ emails. Good luck everyone!

ROL.JPG

I meant, does this look okay? I am an IMG. So wanted to make sure the following things are correct:
1) It is "2019 Medical Specialities matching Program".
2) Applicant Status: Certified.

Anything else?

known for low volumes / less clinical but may look pretty hanging on your wall

This is BS. Yale is the only quaternary center in CT. It has one of the highest transplant volumes and structural volume in the Northeast. Advanced fellows routinely perform ~400 PCIs/year. There is a dedicated peripheral program that takes 2 advanced fellows. You can get level 2 in echo, nuc and cath just by showing up. What is your comparison based off? If it is Columbia/Cedars/CCF, probably true. If it is the rest of %95 programs in the country, you don't have any clue.

Lol: For the record, the poster didn't enjoy the quality of training at Yale compared to "In tiers 1) UK / VCU 2) MCG, mayo florida, UT knox, SLU, U kansas I don't know much about wake / st lukes." per his/her humble opinion.

Last edited:
US IMG here, matched into my #2!!! Applying second time around. Best to all of you!!

Reactions: 1 users
Hope everyone matched! Felt mixed emotions after the email

Bringing this back from last year:

1- Research: How many, what type, published or not? 1 (non-cardiology) 2nd author publication, 2 others submitted for review during application process
2- Posters or oral presentation? 2 orals, 10 or so posters at national meetings
3- Did you do a chief year? Yes
4- Your residency program (university vs community): University program
5- How many interview invitations did you receive? 4
6- USMLE scores? 232/244; Comlex 568/608/Pass/712
7- What # did you end up matching at? #1
8- Matched program (university vs community)? University program
9- Visa : No
10- Year of Med Schl Grad: 2016

1- Research: 10 first author original paper, several co-author original paper
2- multiple posters
3- Did you do a chief year? No
5- How many interview invitations did you receive? >20
6- USMLE scores? 248/249/241
7- What # did you end up matching at? #2
8- Matched program (university vs community)? University program
10- Year of Med Schl Grad: 2005

Matched in a new program with only 1 yr of fellows, do you think it is worse to train? There is many uncertainty and challenges with the new program...

1- Research: 2 original paper to mid level journals, few case reports, 1 pending review to top journal
2- multiple original research posters at acc and national meetings
3- Did you do a chief year? No
5- How many interview invitations did you receive? 25
6- USMLE scores? 240s/240s/220s
7- What # did you end up matching at? #1
8- Matched program (university vs community)? mid tier university program on the east coast
10- Year of Med Schl Grad: 2017 AMG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys,

I am looking for cardiology hospitalist and welcome any suggestions. Thanks