Cardiology fellowship application 2022-2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are the options if you go unmatched on a J1 visa? Do you have to do a waiver and re-apply in 3 years?? How can you re-apply in one year? Also, I've only heard people in a J1 doing the 3-year waiver in the US, but I would rather go to my home country for the 2-year period and come back. Has anyone heard about someone doing this? Is it more difficult to find a job if you do that vs 3-year waiver here? Thanks!
I don’t think you can reapply for a J1 and if you do you probably will be again committed to do a 2 year thing or a 3 year waiver. You could reapply after 2 years but only for H1.
Also if your plan is to do a waiver need to start looking for jobs asap.

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t think you can reapply for a J1 and if you do you probably will be again committed to do a 2 year thing or a 3 year waiver. You could reapply after 2 years but only for H1.
Also if your plan is to do a waiver need to start looking for jobs asap.
So what is the alternative if someone goes unmatched and didn't look for a waiver?

So what is the alternative if someone goes unmatched and didn't look for a waiver?
you have 30 days to leave the country. Some states might have waivers on a rolling basis. So maybe not that late. But just a heads up.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
you have 30 days to leave the country. Some states might have waivers on a rolling basis. So maybe not that late. But just a heads up.
Thanks! I just want to know all my options. And if someone goes unmatched, is there an alternative to stay here and re-apply next year without doing a waiver?

Thanks! I just want to know all my options. And if someone goes unmatched, is there an alternative to stay here and re-apply next year without doing a waiver?
No problem! I understand the stress of it (I’m also on a J1). Someone did mention on another tread doing a non acgme fellowship such as imaging. I guess that would be your next best option. Chief year is another option but I guess most places already have chiefs for next year.

Keep in mind if you do an extra year then if you want to do a sub-sub (IC, HF, worse EP) then you might “run out” of years on your J1 (usual limit is 7 years).

Thinks you can’t do: Work as a hospitalist (unless under a waiver), research only, sabbatical.

Best of luck in the match!

• Care

Echo, imaging, vascular medicine ----Fellowships
Anything close to cardiology.
The challenge with these fellowships is that you start in July, apply in July and the new fellowship barely know you and unable to write a strong letter for you.
If you get one of those fellowships---you should ask your residency PD if you can do an elective there before you formally start.

Chief resident year at some other institution can be considered depending on " why you didnt match"
If its due to lack of research or strong contacts then chief residency may not help

Echo, imaging, vascular medicine ----Fellowships
Anything close to cardiology.
The challenge with these fellowships is that you start in July, apply in July and the new fellowship barely know you and unable to write a strong letter for you.
If you get one of those fellowships---you should ask your residency PD if you can do an elective there before you formally start.

Chief resident year at some other institution can be considered depending on " why you didnt match"
If its due to lack of research or strong contacts then chief residency may not help
Thank you for your help, this is very useful. I don't know what will happen but I want to be prepared for any outcome. I did 2 years of research in Cards at MGH before residency, have done rotations in cardiology and have good contacts. Unfortunately my step scores are low but there is nothing I can do about that, and I have worked pretty hard to demonstrate my interest in Cardiology. I wonder how hard it is to find a chief year at other institution in December...

have those people make calls on your behalf, target low and middle tier places. We have people at my institution that have gotten excellent interviews all because the well-known people made calls for them.

I wonder how hard it is to find a chief year at other institution in December...
There are some places that end up waiting until after the fellowship match to fill their spots. But usually these are community or univ-affiliated sites, how much they will help your app is unclear. Ideal would be to find such a place that has a Cards fellowship.

There are some places that end up waiting until after the fellowship match to fill their spots. But usually these are community or univ-affiliated sites, how much they will help your app is unclear. Ideal would be to find such a place that has a Cards fellowship.

How do you find out out who has filled their spots and hasnt? Just continue to reach out to programs, correct?

What’s your suggestions for people with zero interview? should wait or give up?

What's up with the spreadsheet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Spreadsheet access restored to anyone with link can edit. Looks like someone restricted access previously.

If anyone is able to switch their UConn or St Elizabeth IVs please contact me. I have both scheduled for 10/7. I'll take any other date.

So far I got 3 interviews, not sure if things are going to go my way or not. Is there anybody with experience after failing to match the first time? I’d love to hear some inspiration right now

So far I got 3 interviews, not sure if things are going to go my way or not. Is there anybody with experience after failing to match the first time? I’d love to hear some inspiration right now
Do a PGY4 fellowship e.g. heart failure and your application will be very strong the next time

Reactions: 1 users
I hope that the spreadsheet owner will show up and fix it.
Honestly, I no longer use it much, but we should save all the information (especially "new interview" tab) we put together for next year's applicants.

(I may be wrong, but I feel that people who still post in the spreadsheet are getting more and more toxic. I would rather use SDN if this continues)

I hope that the spreadsheet owner will show up and fix it.
Honestly, I no longer use it much, but we should save all the information (especially "new interview" tab) we put together for next year's applicants.

(I may be wrong, but I feel that people who still post in the spreadsheet are getting more and more toxic. I would rather use SDN if this continues)
Had to restore a prior version (October 6th) that included an intact "New interviews" section. This inevitably led to loss of all the General Chat data since that time.

I know a lot of people left the spreadsheet, but we've started filling "Rank order list" tab. Please come and fill it out.

Hi all - when should we start this thread for 2023-2024?

Reactions: 2 users