Care to help an M1 with career direction?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Major_Guile

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all, I'm an M1 who is trying to decide on two things

1) Which specialties to begin to investigate
2) Research

I wanted to begin doing research and it would ideally be into a field related to my future specialty. I have been talking to my advisors and have decided a few things about what I am interested in. For starters, I want to both be able to make an immediate change in most patients' lives without referring them to other doctors and also influence their lifestyle in a variety of ways. This made me consider pediatric surgery. I also feel like psychiatry may be good, especially because I was a Neuroscience major in undergrad.

I am thinking less about fields that mainly work with adults or elderly because of the fear that my care may be less impactful in the long term. Aren't we all though?

Finally, I want something with many opportunities for work in an academic setting, preferably something with widespread public health possibilities.

Oh, I'll just post a list of my highest and lowest ranked specialties, for completeness.

Most Interested:
Pediatric Surgery (Continuity of care and possibility for academic work)
Psychiatry (Variety of cases and ability to impact their lifestyle)
OB GYN (Continuity of care and ability to affect the family)
PMR (Variety of care and impact on rehabilitation)
Neurology (Variety of patients)

Least interested:
ENT (Smaller variety of patients)
Emergency Medicine (Too much referral to other doctors)
Radiology (Too little patient interaction)
Allergy and Immunology (Harder to impact lifestyle changes)
Anesthesiology (Seems to have all the cons I do not want)

I think that covers my important, albeit ignorant, thoughts, do you all have any to add? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a little confused about how you're going to help your patients make lifestyle changes as a pediatric surgeon. Can you elaborate more on what you mean by lifestyle changes.

1) Here are some specialties you should shadow in and investigate. Ask around your school's career development department to make connections with these physicians.
Pediatric Surgery (Continuity of care and possibility for academic work)
Psychiatry (Variety of cases and ability to impact their lifestyle)
OB GYN (Continuity of care and ability to affect the family)
PMR (Variety of care and impact on rehabilitation)
Neurology (Variety of patients)

2) Do research. Find a list of people doing research affiliated with your school. Find one in a field you may be interested in, or find one that seems promising for publications and figure out a way to join the team