Career Advice: Global/Public Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Assefa94

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a newly graduated college student with a degree in the life sciences and was looking to get some advice before I make my next move. I was considering moving into public health as a career and would love to hear more from the public health professionals in the group about the job prospects, quality of work and general outlook of the profession. I would also love to hear what people wish they knew when they were first starting out that they know now.

Any input would appreciated and would make a big impact on a major life decision.

/// Thanks to all

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in a global health profession. Ideally working with NGOs like the UN/WHO. I currently have a biohcemistry degree, but do not know the plan of action I should follow in order to achieve these goals.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am interested in a global health profession. Ideally working with NGOs like the UN/WHO. I currently have a biohcemistry degree, but do not know the plan of action I should follow in order to achieve these goals.

If you are going to apply for public health school, then you would need to get public health experience, which can obtained through a variety of manners as it is a diverse field. This would give you an idea of what you want to get out of public health and what you could give back to the field. For work, you could even try to get a public health related job, or perhaps get experience via volunteer activities.

I am interested in a global health profession. Ideally working with NGOs like the UN/WHO. I currently have a biochemistry degree, but do not know the plan of action I should follow in order to achieve these goals.

It is good to hear that you are planning ahead. There are a variety of factors to consider, such as where you are in your education at this point and/ or what your line of professional work is now. As noted by others, public health is a wide field, and generally, global health programs are competitive. Provided you did well, the biochemistry degree shows that you have strong quantitative and analytical skills, which are essential in public health, particularly in the more "math heavy" concentrations, such as epidemiology, biostatistics, and health policy. Ideally, you will have worked/volunteered abroad before matriculating to a global health program. Some competitive programs require 1 yr of international experience prior to matriculation. As such, you will be in the same boat as folks who took "time off" between college and graduate school to volunteer/work abroad (e.g., Peace Corps). Some may be out of undergrad, having completed international work during summer and winter breaks in school. While this is increasingly common, you are more competitive as an applicant if the fieldwork is an entire year, as opposed to a few months here and there. All in all, these are generalizations. I am sure it is possible to work your way to the UN or WHO without necessarily completing international fieldwork prior to matriculating to a graduate program. It is quite possible, for example, to get your international fieldwork experience during your graduate studies (e.g., practicum/fieldwork that many programs require, typically during the summer months between the 1st and 2nd yr of graduate studies).

Good luck to you!