Career changer informal postbacc recommendations

Started by rahrahb
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rahrahb

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,

As I’ve searched the forum, aamc and aacom, I haven’t come across exactly what I’m looking for. I’m hoping some of you can help.

I’m looking for an informal postbacc, specifically for career changers, that accepts students on a rolling basis. I am not looking to do a DIY postbacc at my alumni school or state school. I want a school more familiar with the medical school process, one with advisors available to postbacc students and possibly one that has outside opportunities for their students (i.e. MCAT prep, shadowing, volunteering, research, etc.). Basically a formal postbacc but flexibility with scheduling, no deadline for application and whatever other differences.

If you have been through a postbacc program like this or known of any that provide this extra type of support— can you please provide me with their name. Geographic location is not a factor. I am simply looking to compile a list of programs and do the research on the schools myself to see which would be a good fit for me. Word of mouth about personal experiences, especially on things like the quality of advising and ECs offered is not something aacom not most school websites objectively publish.


*I did see that there is a rate my postbacc and SMP thread. However, I see that most comments there are geared towards SMPs and not postbaccs or career changer postbaccs.
 
I know you explicitly said you were NOT interested in a DIY postbacc, but I can speak from experience on this topic as a career changer who completed one.

Even as a postbacc student, I was still able to obtain a committee letter, attend seminars, and engage in all the other opportunities available to the undergrad pre-meds. This included discounts on MCAT prep courses and access to tutoring sessions.



Hello all,

As I’ve searched the forum, aamc and aacom, I haven’t come across exactly what I’m looking for. I’m hoping some of you can help.

I’m looking for an informal postbacc, specifically for career changers, that accepts students on a rolling basis. I am not looking to do a DIY postbacc at my alumni school or state school. I want a school more familiar with the medical school process, one with advisors available to postbacc students and possibly one that has outside opportunities for their students (i.e. MCAT prep, shadowing, volunteering, research, etc.). Basically a formal postbacc but flexibility with scheduling, no deadline for application and whatever other differences.

If you have been through a postbacc program like this or known of any that provide this extra type of support— can you please provide me with their name. Geographic location is not a factor. I am simply looking to compile a list of programs and do the research on the schools myself to see which would be a good fit for me. Word of mouth about personal experiences, especially on things like the quality of advising and ECs offered is not something aacom not most school websites objectively publish.


*I did see that there is a rate my postbacc and SMP thread. However, I see that most comments there are geared towards SMPs and not postbaccs or career changer postbaccs.
 
I know you explicitly said you were NOT interested in a DIY postbacc, but I can speak from experience on this topic as a career changer who completed one.

Even as a postbacc student, I was still able to obtain a committee letter, attend seminars, and engage in all the other opportunities available to the undergrad pre-meds. This included discounts on MCAT prep courses and access to tutoring sessions.

Siromas,
Yes, I really wish the school I attended was more interested in assisting non-traditional students with things like this. The pre-med advisor is less than helpful. Further, the school does not have a medical community beyond the pre-med advisor; it does not have MCAT preparatory sessions, tutoring, student organizations, etc. However, I do seek out opportunities on my own and have attended summits, open houses, seminars and things of the like. Having those opportunities grouped at one place is the appeal of a formal/informal postbacc. But, like you have stated (and done), it is definitely possible to coordinate it all yourself and I just might end up doing so. Thanks for your input!