Career changer post-baccs chances needing insight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatorgirl0308

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 38 years old with 2 kids. I have a Masters degree in Management Info Sciences from University of Florida(Graduated May 2006 GPA 3.5). Been working in real estate full time for several years. I always wanted to go to med school in my 20s but didn't make it for financial reasons. No clinical experience either. I would need all of my pre reqs either as 2nd degree seeking Bachelors or post bacc program. Preferring to stay in Orlando area. Haven't heard back yet from any of the colleges. Some ask for GRE score or ACT score as a requirement to even apply. With needing all pre req either at CC or 4 year college, it looks like at least 10-12 years min. By then I will be 50! Looking for any insight. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I am 38 years old with 2 kids. I have a Masters degree in Management Info Sciences from University of Florida(Graduated May 2006 GPA 3.5). Been working in real estate full time for several years. I always wanted to go to med school in my 20s but didn't make it for financial reasons. No clinical experience either. I would need all of my pre reqs either as 2nd degree seeking Bachelors or post bacc program. Preferring to stay in Orlando area. Haven't heard back yet from any of the colleges. Some ask for GRE score or ACT score as a requirement to even apply. With needing all pre req either at CC or 4 year college, it looks like at least 10-12 years min. By then I will be 50! Looking for any insight. Thanks in advance.
First, remember that you are not alone--more than 1/3 of all matriculants are "nontraditional" applicants these days.
You will need a good reason for "why medicine" and you will ABSOLUTELY need clinical experience, so that you can
a. Know if medicine is right for you
b. Talk about your clinical exp. in your interviews/essays/secondaries
I've never heard of req. GRE score for college. You will probably need a SAT or an ACT score, esp. if you don't have a high school diploma.
Good luck and update us on your progress when you hear back from the colleges!

Reactions: 1 user
1. UCF does not require ACT or GRE, but you'll need to round up your transcripts from UF.
2. I vote "DIY" second-degree student post-bacc for financial reasons, and flexibility. I've still yet to see any benefit to formal SMP, and not even sure any schools in Orlando area offer this.
3. You can get your feet wet at a CC with chem and bio and *maybe* physics, but take your orgos/biochem/electives at a University.
4. Since you're looking at graduating med school circa age 47, keep in mind what residencies you'd be "limited" to (realistically), and make sure you are interested in these residencies.
5. Do the math on paper. Make sure that the cost (appx. $200,000 in debt + opportunity cost), low wages in residency considering age, and the amount you stand to make before retirement, all while raising children and putting them through school, will be feasible. I worked it down to the dollar before I took the leap and when I actually saw on paper that I stood to make $1.5 mil more by retirement, and be in a better position to pay for my son's college, than if I'd stayed at my current profession, I was able to justify the time sacrifice to my family and personal life.
6. Don't worry about your age, but do worry about the math. Anyone can do this with the right commitment. I always throw out "PA" as an option too - similar job, good pay, less school, good quality of life, though less autonomy, lots of clinical hours required to apply.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Also, 2 edits:

1: Holy ****, you've been a member since 2009, you obviously want this.
2: Your Masters in a non-science field is a boost to your app just stepping in the door.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You have a master's degree, there's no reason that you need to provide an ACT to take college classes. I would do it yourself. That's what I did. I found some science classes online (I can recommend some if needed) that frequently don't matter for in/out of state. You will need to take your pre-reqs for science, but you may already have the credits for many of your non-science classes. I started medical school at 36. So while yes, you are late in life, I had two co-residents in NM who were in their 50s.

Reactions: 1 users
This absolutely made my day to see/read.

I'm a 34 year old nontrad student. I am slowly knocking out science classes at the local 4 year university while working in a hospital as a screener/transporter. Not the most "clinical" work, but I'm in a well respected hospital and hoping more doors open.

Good luck to you! We're in this together and you're certainly not alone.

A