Career changer with no significant career to speak of

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I am a postbac student at Columbia and currently preparing my essays for med school applications. In writing about the few years between my undergraduate degree and the postbac, I realize that I don't have much significant work to speak of, as I was a little lost after college and completely undecided. I had various service jobs and worked in a few nonprofits, but generally it feels like a scatter-brained resume which didn't leave me with tremendous skills.

It seems like the admissions committees want to see how your past career led you to the decision to pursue health, but my post-college resume just highlights the fact that I was indecisive! Any thoughts or advice on how to write about this kind of experience, or how to explain it in a way that doesn't sound so flaky?

Members don't see this ad.

Career is just one perspective when explaining the gap. What did you do during that time? Did you have any hobbies? What sort of jobs did you hold? The nonprofit experience could be particularly interesting. Did you do any volunteering?

Specifically, I would really focus on questions about your decision to apply to medical school. What led you to pursue medicine? How did you come to realize you wanted to be a doctor? I don't think any good physicians just woke up one day and decided they wanted to be doctors. Put some time into thinking about the proverbial question, "Why medicine?" Then think about what during your gap contributed to that answer.

Hopefully these types of questions can spark something. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
What would you say if you weren't worried about looking flaky? Start there.

But do remember what the question is really asking and answer that question specifically. Why do you want to become a physician?