Caribbean MD or CRNA ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnDoe12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to both an MD (Caribbean) and a CRNA -DNP program in the USA. My gut tells me the Caribbean is far too risky, and too much of a debt to take on. What's the communities opinion on this? Just looking for some guidance. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Would you be interested in anesthesia as an MD or want to pursue a different specialty?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Let's put it this way: You have the option to pay a Caribbean school several hundred thousand dollars and risk being in the exact same place in 4 years. Or you could do the CRNA program and get a solid and marketable degree. Or, if you're really set on being a physician, you could take several years, fix up your app, and reapply.

You already paid a Caribbean school some money to apply. I'd recommend you don't give them any more.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You have been on SDN for 4 years... What do you think the community's opinion will be on this?

Reactions: 16 users
I've been accepted to both an MD (Caribbean) and a CRNA -DNP program in the USA. My gut tells me the Caribbean is far too risky, and too much of a debt to take on. What's the communities opinion on this? Just looking for some guidance. Thank you.

Not that I'm a fan, but go with the DNP program or you'll be throwing your money in the trash. The amount of "I'm at [Carib school X] and didn't match, what now?" threads across the net I've seen have seemed to increase compared to last cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
These are two different careers...

You could also look into the military scholarship. You may be able to get it as a Carib med student, and it could open up a military residency path to practicing medicine in the United States.

You could also look into the military scholarship. You may be able to get it as a Carib med student, and it could open up a military residency path to practicing medicine in the United States.

I don't believe the military offers a scholarship for Carib matriculants

Reactions: 2 users

This is horrible advice. HPSP cannot be used for schools outside of US or Puerto Rico.

OP has two options. Go be a CRNA (perfectly valid choice) or improve their application enough to be competitive for US schools. Caribbean schools should not be considered a valid option.

This is horrible advice. HPSP cannot be used for schools outside of US or Puerto Rico.

OP has two options. Go be a CRNA (perfectly valid choice) or improve their application enough to be competitive for US schools. Caribbean schools should not be considered a valid option.

Well, I know someone who has.

What are your stats and how far are you away from rehabilitating yourself for DO through grade replacement. Because that's a better option than either of these. And which offshore school are we talking about (some long shots are longer than others). And what about you makes you think you can turn things around now, if you go offshore? So the answer is need more info. Most likely you should become a nurse anesthetist and draw a steady paycheck, but we can jump to that without you fleshing things out a lot more.

Reactions: 1 user

Well, I know someone who has.
No you don't.
I think he's confusing Puerto Rico for the Caribbean

:confused::confused: something isn't right here...

@El-Rami could you clarify your comments?

There is a military educational loan repayment program for certain specialties. So if your are a US citizen, and licensed physician, you can be eligible for this. This is not dependent on what medical school you had gone to. This is different from the HPSP for undergraduate medical education where the school must be in the US or PR. This may be what the confusion is over,

http://www.goarmy.com/amedd/education.html (emphasis added)

The U.S. Army offers ways to pay for medical school. Depending on your unique situation, you may be eligible for a scholarship, a stipend program or educational loan repayment

http://www.goarmy.com/amedd/education/hpsp.html
The HPSP is available for students pursuing advanced degrees in medicine, dentistry, veterinary science, psychiatric nursing, optometry or psychology. To qualify for the Health Professions Scholarship Program, you must:
  • Be a U.S. citizen with a baccalaureate degree from an accredited school
  • Be enrolled in (or have a letter or acceptance from) an accredited graduate program in the U.S. or Puerto Rico (varies by specialty)
  • Maintain full-time student status during the length of the program
  • Qualify as a commissioned officer

Too lazy to quote the sites, but this is what I stated. @El-Rami referenced military residencies for the OP as a way to make the Caribbean more palatable. Only people doing HPSP or USUHS would be eligible for this, not someone getting loan repayment from the military when they enter as a doctor (ie AFTER completing a residency).

Now someone could have the post 9/11 GI bill or even vocational rehab pay for a Caribbean school (post 9/11 would likely not cover tuition in full), but that would not make them eligible for a military residency either. Those are VA programs, not through the DOD. There is no service obligation afterwards attached to them.

CRNA is a very stable profession with good hours, fun procedures and a huge amount of potential for learning. I've met many CNRAs who are both talented and highly intelligent. If what you want in life is a good career without a huge amount of debt load this is a great choice.

In the end though this is up to you to decide because you'll be living the rest of your life, not us. Choose whatever path will make you happy.

Reactions: 1 user
OP what are your GPA and MCAT scores? Did you apply to DO schools?

Too lazy to quote the sites, but this is what I stated. @El-Rami referenced military residencies for the OP as a way to make the Caribbean more palatable. Only people doing HPSP or USUHS would be eligible for this, not someone getting loan repayment from the military when they enter as a doctor (ie AFTER completing a residency).

Now someone could have the post 9/11 GI bill or even vocational rehab pay for a Caribbean school (post 9/11 would likely not cover tuition in full), but that would not make them eligible for a military residency either. Those are VA programs, not through the DOD. There is no service obligation afterwards attached to them.

The guy I know is a graduate from one of the Carib schools and received some sort of scholarship from the military where he agreed to serve for x amount of time after receiving it. I could have sworn he said the military let him do a residency with them, but I could be wrong. Either way, he ended up doing a residency.

3.3 gpa with a 493 mcat. Both low, I know. Maybe if I could increase my mcat above 500
That would change the situation for me applying to DO programs. My gpa is lower than the average applicant due to the first degree I have in nursing. The second degree I have and my last 70 Hours of course work I have a gpa of 3.6.

Thanks for all the opinions and support y'all. It is appreciated greatly.