Caribbean school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted390966

If I want to do primary care, is Caribbean school still a huge risk? Is there any kind of financial aid, especially federal aid, for Carib. students?

Members don't see this ad.

You can't really lump all carribean schools together. At SGU, as long as you don't mess around and screw up, you will be able to get family med

inb4 carribean sh**storm

If I want to do primary care, is Caribbean school still a huge risk?

Yes. Most students who go to the Caribbean, even at the 'big 4 schools' fail out and most of the ones who graduate don't match into a catagorical residency. Just graduating probably isn't enough to guarentee you a spot. Also, as someone who worked very had in a much more supportive school, and who still doesn't have grades, USMLE scores, or research experience in the top half of US matriculants, I can assure you that's not as easy as it sounds to outcompete enough medical students to do much more than just graduate. And, with a massive increase in the number of US medical students scheduled for the next 4 years and no corresponding increase in the number of residency slots the sitution has the potential to be drastically worse. In 4 years it might be that the only students getting in anywhere have Step one scores of 240+.

So, fix your application, wait a year or two, and go to a US MD or DO school. What is your GPA and MCAT anyway?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't really lump all carribean schools together. At SGU, as long as you don't mess around and screw up, you will be able to get family med

inb4 carribean sh**storm

+1

I know faculty members at major institutions that came from SGU. Sure, they are the exception, and had to overcome certain stigmas, but going to a caribbean school will not ruin your life or your chances.

Best bet is to go online and look at the school you're looking at and see where graduates matched this year.

+1

I know faculty members at major institutions that came from SGU. Sure, they are the exception, and had to overcome certain stigmas, but going to a caribbean school will not ruin your life or your chances.

Best bet is to go online and look at the school you're looking at and see where graduates matched this year.

Those people graduated when there was far less US MD & DO applicants, and numerous residency positions going unfilled. Those days are gone. IMGs are having a harder and harder time matching, and this is demonstrated by the NRMP data released each year.