Caribbean Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daniellevk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a really close friend who is at ROSS Medical school the one in the caribbean,
He is doing his rotations back at home and getting ready for residency.

Im really considering going there, I'm losing hope and it seems its so hard to get into a medical school in the states.

1) is it really that bad to get into a caribbean school?
2) What is the difference between DO and MD, should i apply to DO schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Use the search function.

I have a really close friend who is at ROSS Medical school the one in the caribbean,
He is doing his rotations back at home and getting ready for residency.

Im really considering going there, I'm losing hope and it seems its so hard to get into a medical school in the states.

1) is it really that bad to get into a caribbean school?
2) What is the difference between DO and MD, should i apply to DO schools?

Reactions: 1 users
I would not recommend for you to become a DO unless you attend a state school but still lacks more than MD. Simply because their matching rates are not that high. MD's are a lot more higher and at the end of the day that is what matters. You're OD or MD diploma can be useless if you cannot match residency anywhere here in the states.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not recommend for you to become a DO unless you attend a state school but still lacks more than MD. Simply because their matching rates are not that high. MD's are a lot more higher and at the end of the day that is what matters. You're OD or MD diploma can be useless if you cannot match residency anywhere here in the states.
Not true at all. DO's and MD's are equivalent in the United States in terms of academic training and their match rates are comparable. While it is true that the DO and MD diploma is useless if you do not complete your residency training, that is no reason to avoid going for a DO.

For the OP: It has been covered extensively in these forums. The best advice if your application is lacking is to take a year raising your GPA/problem area's and apply broadly to DO schools. As for the difference between DO and MD.. besides maybe public perception (see post above), virtually nothing. After applying and reapplying, then consider the Caribbean.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
:troll:

Sign up for Caribbean schools now! If you matriculate in 2016 or 2017 you can graduate just in time for IMGs to be effectively banned from US residencies!

Last edited:
Sometimes I feel as if people post threads on SDN, and then create another account and start bantering with themselves to elicit the response that they're looking for.

OP, DOs > Carib all day, ery day, no competition. And, MD ≈ DO at this point.

Ahh, nothing like the smell of ignorance in the morning!

Reactions: 2 users
I think going to the Caribbean for medical schools is great! - said no one ever

What with the merger and other policies coming down the pipes, IMGs are going to be squeezed out of the match more than ever. You can find opinions on this all over the pre-osteo and osteo sub-forums.