Carribean vs. Other International Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

altitude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do the Carribean schools (particularly, SGU and Ross U) compare to Middle Eastern schools (particularly, Sackler and Ben Gurion) in regard to residency matching, quality of the program, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

They don't.

Caribbean schools train doctors whose primary mission is to come back to the U.S. to practice. While Sackler and Ben Gurion have U.S. students, this is not their sole mission.*

Furthermore, while you will have challenges going to the Caribbean, I'd argue that it takes a special kind of highly motivated person willing to go halfway around the world and to live in Israel for their medical training.

(And, yes, I trained with a guy who went to Sackler. And, yes, he was Jewish.)

-Skip

*The Sackler/American program is geared for U.S. students. It is a part, however, of Tel Aviv University.

Last edited:
I think the Sackler NYU program probably does much better. The students that are accepted often 32-33 MCATs and great GPAs. So naturally they do better and get into better residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
The reputation of those schools is probably better. However, I am not educated in regard to how well they place their grads in residencies. Maybe someone else can weigh in with a match list. All I know is that SGU's match list is pretty good (Ross too), all things considered.

Ben Gurion Negev has decent looking match lists and yet they don't state how many are in each class so you don't know how many didn't match so they aren't really accurate.

I'm currently going around and checking the "current residents" of a lot of residency programs. I've noticed that there are different types of programs in terms of their residents

true IMGs = meaning IMGs that aren't also greencard/citizens

1. US MDs only (usually top uni programs like UCSF/Stanford or healthcare systems like Kaiser Permanate)
2. US MDs and DOs only (UC Davis)
3. US MDs, DOs and US IMGs only (UC Irvine)
4. US MDs and true IMGs
5. US MDs and the occasional IMG (some top university programs)
5. US MDs and all IMGs (program directors who don't like DOs)
6. All types (usually community programs)
7. Mostly IMGs and DOs (usually community programs)

This is mostly from what i've seen in California Internal Medicine programs nothing else.

Ben Gurion Negev has decent looking match lists and yet they don't state how many are in each class so you don't know how many didn't match so they aren't really accurate.

I'm currently going around and checking the "current residents" of a lot of residency programs. I've noticed that there are different types of programs in terms of their residents

true IMGs = meaning IMGs that aren't also greencard/citizens

1. US MDs only (usually top uni programs like UCSF/Stanford or healthcare systems like
Kaiser Permanate)
2. US MDs and DOs only (UC Davis)
3. US MDs, DOs and US IMGs only (UC Irvine)
4. US MDs and true IMGs
5. US MDs and the occasional IMG (some top university programs)
5. US MDs and all IMGs (program directors who don't like DOs)
6. All types (usually community programs)
7. Mostly IMGs and DOs (usually community programs)

This is mostly from what i've seen in California Internal Medicine programs nothing else.

If you're basically talking California residency, I have no idea what the best "non-traditional" pathway is.

However, Kaiser Permanente residency = cheap labor for Kaiser Permanente. (Not saying you're necessarily getting bad training, but in my opinion that's their model.)

http://www.ehow.com/how_5013523_excellent-care-kaiser-permanente.html

I just wouldn't compare the Israeli medical schools to the Caribbean ones, as that's not a fair comparison. As stated, those are excellent schools, but cater mostly to Jewish, highly-motivated students who, for whatever reason, didn't get a U.S. spot and who are also willing to live in a beautiful country in the middle of some of the worst violent conflict in the world. Your chances of being bombed by a terrorist are quite small at one of the "big four" schools, by comparison.

-Skip

Yeah i think some of the students who go to Israel are students who have the stats for US schools but want to live in Israel for a few years.