This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrepMatch

Partner Organization
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

You are put into a lab group with 4 other classmates for your biology lab project. One member, Ronald, declares that he will lead the project. Whenever other group members make a suggestion, he is very demeaning and condescending. Exasperated by his behaviour, the other lab members and you start leaving him out of the discussions and work on the project without him. Ronald finds out and is hurt by this behaviour.

1. What do you say to Ronald?
  2. How could this situation have been avoided?
  3. Talk about a time when you had to deal with a difficult colleague.

Discuss Below !!

This scenario is from PrepMatch.com, the free peer-to-peer CASPer preparation platform that allows you to practice hundreds of scenarios for free. PrepMatch is a non-profit partnered up with organizations such as the Student Doctor Network that aims to make the admission process more equitable

Members don't see this ad.

1. I think it is important to first approach Ronald in a private area and in a nonjudgemental tone. I understand that Ronald was trying to be a leader and help the group project. However, I understand that the group member’s are getting upset at his demeaning manor. I would be honest with Ronald and let him know how me and the other group members have been feeling. Perhaps, Ronald did not know. If Ronald did not know, then I would suggest he apologize to the group members and be aware of his tone when working with others. If Ronald was aware, I would let him know that this behavior is making it very difficult to work with him and hence, perhaps the reason people are leaving him out. I would continue to suggest to Ronald to be aware of his behavior when working with others and when obtaining people’s suggestions. In the end, I want to ensure that I am aware of Ronald’s feelings but also ensure that a safe group environment is being created.
  2. I believe that being honest upfront would have avoided this situation. I understand confrontation can be really hard sometimes, especially when in a group project. However, I believe if a me and a few groupmembers or one group members pulls Ronald aside in a private setting and being respectful and nonjudgemental mention how they are feeling and being honest about how they feel about Ronald’s behavior. It is important to understand that Ronald may not be aware of his behavior and how it is affecting others and being honest about it from the start may have prevented many from being tired of being treated as such and leaving.
  3. I had a group project in my math class. I remember a girl would go back and change all our work after we left our session. It was extremely frustrating because none of us condoned such changes. We decided to have one of us talk to her, so we don’t gang up on her. I decided to talk to her and in a nonjudgemental tone and in private, I told her it was frustrating and a bit upsetting to see our work being changed. She did not realized and now began to ask us if she could change things with the group’s approval.