This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrepMatch

Partner Organization
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Your friend, Tori, wants to start a club that will raise money to help families in Yemen, who are currently going through a famine crisis.​

1. What are some ethical considerations regarding this scenario?
  2. What if Tori was only doing this so this will look good on her application to a professional school?
  3. Do motives matter if the end result still does good for others?

Discuss Below !!

This scenario is from PrepMatch.com the free peer-to-peer CASPer preparation platform that allows you to practice hundreds of scenarios for free. PrepMatch is a non-profit partnered up with organizations such as the Student Doctor Network that aims to make the admission process more equitable.

Members don't see this ad.

1. I believe some ethical dilemmas that may arise is how much each family/person is going to get money wise. It is important to understand that a family of 5 is going to need more money than a family of 2 as well as those families with younger children may need more money than a family with older children. Therefore, deciding how much money each family gets may be an ethical consideration as one wants to ensure that equal amounts is distributed but is also benefiting each family equally as well. Another dilemma is to see the reasoning behind raising money. It is essential to be neutral with raising money. The issues of “white savior” as well as religious beliefs may come about with charity. Being aware of such issues is important when discussing the Yemen family crisis and raising money for these families.
  2. I believe that it is important that I pull Tori aside and gather more information. I would pull her aside to a private area and in a nonjudgemental tone ask her why she is wanting to raise this money. If Tori mentions she wants to do it because helping raise money can help these families out and she wants to be generous, then I believe there are no further issues. However, if tori mentions it is because of her application, i believe i would inform her that this is not the right thing to do. I would suggest that she may be better off finding something else to build her application that she would be passionate about, such as another charity. In the end, professional schools will like students who are generous and empathetic, and it is important to stress the importance of this.
  3. I believe that motives can play a role. I understand that the end results are good but motives can affect the end results as well. For instance, it can create a bias among the end results. I understand a lot of missionary trips can be unethical as, although they provide food and money, they also try religious conversion. This end result causes destructions among many culture and groups of people who may be desperate for food and necessities. Therefore, motives is important when it comes to doing good.

(ignore grammar and spelling mistakes as this does not affect the scoring)