This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrepMatch

Partner Organization
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

You are in a long line in a busy coffee shop. A pregnant woman is in front of you. She says to the man in scrubs ahead of her that she should be allowed to cut in front of him because she is pregnant. The man says no.​

1. Should you say anything? To whom?
  2. What is your role in this situation?
  3. What are some ways to de-escalate situations such as this?
Discuss Below !!

This scenario is from PrepMatch.com, the free peer-to-peer CASPer preparation platform that allows you to practice hundreds of scenarios for free. PrepMatch is a non-profit partnered up with organizations such as the Student Doctor Network that aims to make the admission process more equitable.

Members don't see this ad.

You are in a long line in a busy coffee shop. A pregnant woman is in front of you. She says to the man in scrubs ahead of her that she should be allowed to cut in front of him because she is pregnant. The man says no.​

1. Should you say anything? To whom?
  2. What is your role in this situation?
  3. What are some ways to de-escalate situations such as this?
Discuss Below !!

This scenario is from PrepMatch.com, the free peer-to-peer CASPer preparation platform that allows you to practice hundreds of scenarios for free. PrepMatch is a non-profit partnered up with organizations such as the Student Doctor Network that aims to make the admission process more equitable.
1. No, you shouldn't say anything
2. You are a bystander and getting involved will only escalate the situation
3. You could ask the woman how many weeks pregnant she is, if she is expecting a boy or a girl, etc. Try to calm her down while the line moves forward. Not sure why it is relevant that the man is in scrubs.

1. This situation is difficult. I understand that the pregnant women wants to get in front but the man in the scrubs said no. Perhaps, the man in the scrubs has just worked a long shift at the hospital and is very tired. Perhaps the pregnant women’s feet really hurt from the weight of the baby. It is difficult to say anything at this time without getting more information. At this time, I will not say anything due to not knowing the situation and feelings that are occurring in the lives between teh two people. However, if the situation escalates further to innaprorpaite actions (i.e. disrespect or violence), then I may inform the manager or gain a better understanding of the two people’s situation to better facilitate the issue.
  2. My role in this situation is a bystander. As mentioned, if the the situation does not escalate, then no harm and nothing needs to be said because I do not understand the both sides of the situation. However, on the other hand, if the situation escalates (i.e. violence or arguing), it is my role to inform perhaps a manager or employee what I have witnessed has occurred in a nonbias manner. Perhaps I could also facilitate, learn both sides reasoning for their decision, and understand both sides to help relieve the issue that may occur if the situation does escalate
  3. If the situation requires it, then I think the most important thing is to gather both sides information and beliefs. By doing so, one can understand the priorities of both sides and the reasoning as well for one’s actions. By gathering more information, a better compromise can occur that will allow one to create a solution that will acknowledge both side’s priorities. For instance, if the man is tired for a shift at the hospital and the pregnant women’s feet hurts, then perhaps I could suggest that they order together and pay separately so that the women can spend less time on her feet and the man can get home with his coffee in short amount of time.

(please ignore grammatical errors/spelling errors as these do not affect CASPER scoring)