This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrepMatch

Partner Organization
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

You have saved up money for weeks and are able to purchase a large bag of groceries to donate to the Food Bank. Proud of your accomplishment, you take a photo of your donation and post it on Instagram. Your friend, Elizabeth, posts a public statement that people shouldn't brag about donating to charity.​

1. Should you message Elizabeth?
  2. Do you take down your post?
  3. Do you always have a right to share your accomplishments?
Discuss Below !!

This scenario is from PrepMatch.com, the free peer-to-peer CASPer preparation platform that allows you to practice hundreds of scenarios for free. PrepMatch is a non-profit partnered up with organizations such as the Student Doctor Network that aims to make the admission process more equitable.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
  1. This is a difficult situation. For one, I understand that Elizabeth’s post is discussing about the action that I just did by posting a photo of my donation. However, Elizabeth’s post may not be referring to me specifically. If desired, I can privately message Elizabeth and in a nonjudgemental tone ask her more information about her public statement and perhaps ask if she was referring to my recent photo. However, it is also both Elizabeth’s and my free choice about the statements and photos we both decide. We are all different and may not agree on the same issues and opinions. Therefore, not messaging Elizabeth may also be a decision as well. However, it is important to remain open and nonjudgemental if you decide to message Elizabeth.
  2. As mentioned, we do not know if Elizabeth is directly talking about me and my photo I posted. If desired, I could gather more information by privately messaging Elizabeth and gathering more information in a nonjudgemental tone about what she means with her public statement. Perhaps, Elizabeth may inform me about the hamrs of bragging about donating to charity. At that point, if there is negative effects of such, then I may take down the post. However, perhaps Elizabeth made an open public statement that wasn’t about me, at that point it is my personal decision whether I would want to take down the post. If I believe that the post may raise awareness of the Food Bank or be positive, then I will keep it up. As mentioned, we are all human and have different options and being open and respectful helps making decisions as such easier.
  3. I believe it depends. I understand it feels great to share one’s accomplishments. However, it is important to understand the situation. For instance, if one got into a MD program that a friend wanted to get into but didn’t, perhaps isn’t the time to share such accomplishments as one’s friend may need support from the disappointing news. Sharing accomplishments without observing the situation may not be appropriate and be unmindful to others. However, later on, one can share their accomplishment when they feel the time is right.

(Please ignore grammar/spelling issues as this will not affect CASPER scoring)

You have saved up money for weeks and are able to purchase a large bag of groceries to donate to the Food Bank. Proud of your accomplishment, you take a photo of your donation and post it on Instagram. Your friend, Elizabeth, posts a public statement that people shouldn't brag about donating to charity.​

1. Should you message Elizabeth?
  2. Do you take down your post?
  3. Do you always have a right to share your accomplishments?
Discuss Below !!

This scenario is from PrepMatch.com, the free peer-to-peer CASPer preparation platform that allows you to practice hundreds of scenarios for free. PrepMatch is a non-profit partnered up with organizations such as the Student Doctor Network that aims to make the admission process more equitable.

1. I would post to Elizabeth it's also uncouth to judge others. It's ok to have pride in one's efforts, and sharing an accomplishment or act of charity may inspire others to do the same. I can understand that such things may come off as conspicuous consumption or flaunting / moral superiority, but I would trust that the people who know me best would know otherwise. It's always difficult to be a leader or inspire others through your own actions, without someone taking offense to it.

2. No. I might double-check the post to make sure that it wasn't coming off in a "holier-than-thou" way, but if people are generally having issues with me making a genuine, heartfelt post about something that I am proud of and want to share with others, then perhaps we shouldn't be friends anymore. Now, if literally everyone were close friends and family, I might take a closer eye at my postings and reconsider.

3. It depends on the context of the situation. If I had just purchased a nice car after a decade of hard work, maybe I wouldn't drive around in it when volunteering at the homeless shelter. Tact and timing is everything, but a bag of groceries is a far cry from a luxury vehicle.