This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrepMatch

Partner Organization
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

John is a bus driver for the City of Funtown. The Funtown laws prohibit passengers from riding the bus without paying for their tickets. John can get in trouble if he lets passengers ride without paying. One day, an elderly lady boards the bus and tells John that she forgot her wallet at home but needs to get to an urgent medical appointment. She asks John if he can kindly let her board without a ticket.​

1. What should John do?
  2. Should John be disciplined if he does let her on?
  3. What kind of policies can the city implement to deal with such situations?
Discuss Below !!

This scenario is from PrepMatch.com, the free peer-to-peer CASPer preparation platform that allows you to practice hundreds of scenarios for free. PrepMatch is a non-profit partnered up with organizations such as the Student Doctor Network that aims to make the admission process more equitable.

Members don't see this ad.

1. I think the simplest solution would be for John to pay for the person. Though there are many possible takes on this, sometimes life can provide an answer. In this type of exception, he could phone in to a supervisor, or throw the dice he wouldn't get caught, but he could just do a good deed and tell the woman next time to make sure to bring her wallet, or direct her to services for reduced or free bus fare.

2. There's no real way to ascertain if the woman was actually trying to just get a free ride, or if they had made a legitimate mistake. This is why policies are in place. People will take advantage of good hearted folk, and businesses and governments do need finances to keep the lights on. Administration could assess this situation and deem that John was trying to do the right thing, but perhaps he could also be made an example of. I would personally not discipline John, and perhaps try to come up with some discretionary funds or rules for situations like this in the SOPs.

3. I sort of answered this already. I should probably read all of the questions first instead of in order.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I may be mistaken thinking Casper only focuses on 2 questions per prompt. I think it's now just for the video scenarios. The typed scenarios have stayed with 3. I hope @Acuity Insights can clarify.
Hi @Mr.Smile12, thank you for your response and yes, for the 2023-24 cycle, CASPer format has changed as now you have 14 scenarios.

The test is divided into two response sections, a video response section (six scenarios) and a typed response section (eight scenarios). Each scenario is followed by 2 open-ended questions in the video section and 3 open-ended questions in the typed section of the test.

Reactions: 1 user