Caucasians at Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am extremely interested in Howard University. Personally, I am interested in Howard because of its great reputation and location. I grew up in the suburbs of DC and would like to return to my roots. As a Caucasian female, I would like to hear from my fellow aspiring dental school applicants of African American descent (particularly those whose first choice is Howard) regarding their perspective of Caucasians attending a primarily African American school. I appreciate all your input. Thanks in advance, and good luck to all applying to dental school.

Members don't see this ad.

Laurie said:
I am extremely interested in Howard University. Personally, I am interested in Howard because of its great reputation and location. I grew in the suburbs of DC and would like to return to my roots. As a Caucasian female I would like to hear from my fellow aspiring dental school applicants of African American descent (particularly those whose first choice is Howard) regarding their perspective of Caucasians attending a primarily African American school. I appreciate all your input. Thanks in advance, and good luck to all applying to dental school.

I interviewed there and didnt see a white guy there the whole time i was there - 2 days.

so i dont know...

Laurie said:
I am extremely interested in Howard University. Personally, I am interested in Howard because of its great reputation and location. I grew up in the suburbs of DC and would like to return to my roots. As a Caucasian female, I would like to hear from my fellow aspiring dental school applicants of African American descent (particularly those whose first choice is Howard) regarding their perspective of Caucasians attending a primarily African American school. I appreciate all your input. Thanks in advance, and good luck to all applying to dental school.
That's the first time I have EVER heard 'Howard' and 'great reputation' used in the same sentence. It sounds kind of odd, doesn't it? And no, Howard probably isn't the best place for a young white girl to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed and was accepted last year as a caucasian male. I was impressed by the schools general location, DC, but not where it was at in DC. But i'm in agreement with the previous reply.

how are non-African American's getting interviews there?

1) Have you done extensive community outreach to underprivileged people?

2) Are your numbers sky high?

i applied to howard..didn't hear a single thing from them since they got all my materials..and they do NOT want us to contact them.

i have accomplished a PART of 1), not at all for 2)
:oops:

Kiluminati said:
That's the first time I have EVER heard 'Howard' and 'great reputation' used in the same sentence. It sounds kind of odd, doesn't it? And no, Howard probably isn't the best place for a young white girl to be.

What exactly does it mean that Howard isn't the best place for a young white girl to be? Do they tar and feather young white girls at this school or something? I don't understand why everyone just assumes that Howard is a horrible school and that a person will receive a horrible education if they attend a majority black school. A dental school is a dental school, you become a dentist regardless of what school you attend.

Dr. Future said:
What exactly does it mean that Howard isn't the best place for a young white girl to be? Do they tar and feather young white girls at this school or something? I don't understand why everyone just assumes that Howard is a horrible school and that a person will receive a horrible education if they attend a majority black school. A dental school is a dental school, you become a dentist regardless of what school you attend.

Well said.

Dr. Future said:

Well said, I agree as well no need to be discrimnatory.

fruity_trident said:

i applied to howard..didn't hear a single thing from them since they got all my materials..and they do NOT want us to contact them.

i'll answer that question for u..
oh wait.. i can't...cuz i don't have the answer... cuz i didn't get an interview...i haven't heard anything from them.

oh wait..u're replying to yourself.

1st signs of craziness - talkin to self :laugh: :D :laugh:

can anyone help me out?...(to the question, not to my craziness...i know i'm helpless in that department) :thumbup:

Dr. Future said:

Here's my "experience" learning about Howard.

Got a list of the dental schools stats from my advisor. After taking a look at it I noticed that the incoming stats for Howard were the LOWEST in the nation (Good for me, my GPA wasn't that high), well under a 3.0 (I think this was in '02). So, I told my advisor where I was going to apply and she said, "There's no need to apply to Howard, you'll never get an interview as they are an all African American school."

"WHAT!!!????"...... My first dose of the "real world".

It's reverse discrimination. UH OH, someone said it. Most the time everyone just turns a blind eye toward this and just shut's their mouth, in fear of being called racist. That's ridiculous! Being in the real world for a couple of years has a way of knocking all those cute, idealistic thoughts right out of ya. I remember, in college I used to say, "Work hard and you WILL succeed, the cream always rises to the top." WHAT A JOKE!

Fact is, if you're white in this country, you CAN'T just work hard and expect to succeed, you gotta work much harder than every other minority group in this country, because when it really comes down to it, it's harder to succeed when the standards for everyone else have been lowered just because of their skin color.

*sits back w/ some popcorn and waits for the fun to begin*

IWuvTeef said:

i think my post is the funnies though :laugh:

trying to break the tension...but everyone is blind :cool:

IWuvTeef said:

This is gonna turn Jerry Springer real quick!

I have a friend at Howard right now, and yes there are caucasians there. But what people don't realize is that not only African Americans, but other African students go to that school as well. There is a distenction between color and where there from, and not all black people are African American, there are people from somolia, the EUA and many other parts of the world. My friend likes to call Howard the melting pot of the world. If you ask me thats kind a neat!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Future said:

I think he meant from a safety factor.

DUH...........

fishindr said:

Got a list of the dental schools stats from my advisor. After taking a look at it I noticed that the incoming stats for Howard were the LOWEST in the nation (Good for me, my GPA wasn't that high), well under a 3.0 (I think this was in '02). So, I told my advisor where I was going to apply and she said, "There's no need to apply to Howard, you'll never get an interview as they are an all African American school."

It's reverse discrimination. UH OH, someone said it. Most the time everyone just turns a blind eye toward this and just shut's their mouth, in fear of being called racist. That's ridiculous! Being in the real world for a couple of years has a way of knocking all those cute, idealistic thoughts right out of ya. I remember, in college I used to say, "Work hard and you WILL succeed, the cream always rises to the top." WHAT A JOKE!

Fact is, if you're white in this country, you CAN'T just work hard and expect to succeed, you gotta work much harder than every other minority group in this country, because when it really comes down to it, it's harder to succeed when the standards for everyone else have been lowered just because of their skin color.

well the fact of the matter is, YOU DIDNT WORK HARD.

you said that your GPA was low. YOU DONT DESERVE IT BRO.

hockeydentist said:
This is gonna turn Jerry Springer real quick!

I have a friend at Howard right now, and yes there are caucasians there. But what people don't realize is that not only African Americans, but other African students go to that school as well. There is a distenction between color and where there from, and not all black people are African American, there are people from somolia, the EUA and many other parts of the world. My friend likes to call Howard the melting pot of the world. If you ask me thats kind a neat!

Nice, maybe your friend and one of my best buddies from college know each other. He goes there too. We've had some lonnnnggggg discussions about this topic(over a few beers), and you know what, it's a lose/lose situation. He says, "Man, there's no way I feel like I should get in over you just because I'm black. The s****y thing about it is, even when I do get in to school, I don't want it to be because of my skin color, I want it to be because I earned it. But, I'll never know, I'll always be questioning."

We both agree that these stupid quotas schools have to meet minority requirements are just another contributing factor to continued racism in this country. THIS GOES FOR GENDER AS WELL.

If you want my opinion (which you probably don't), I think race and gender should be taken off of ALL applications. If we are really EQUAL, then why does it matter, and why should it be on any applications. Only what is pertinent to the work/school/etc. should be on an application. If a person is more qualified, whether they be male, female, black, white, WHATEVER, they should get the job (or acceptance, in our case). Eventually, people in this country who continue to be so vocal about the "racial problems" in this country will open there eyes to the REAL problems with race discrimination, I think they will be looking into a mirror.

Here's another interesting story for you to chew on for awhile.

2 months ago, I attended a MANDITORY company meeting for Cultural Diversity. This lady steps in front of the room and basically begins reaming the police depts., hospitals, and everyone not of a minority group as to how blind they are to horrific effects racism has in today's society. I felt horrible, like I had done something wrong and was very willing and attentive to the rest of her speech. I was ready to cure myself of my racist attitude...that I never thought I had. She spoke well, and was able to convince me that even though I didn't see it, I was really the root of the problem of the racial issues today. It was MY fault.

Then she handed out a sheet of paper with a table on it. This paper generalized ALL racial groups, their personality traits, etc. She then went on to describe how people of European background were better in the "working world" because of the growing seasons in ancient Europe and that we were "genetically programmed" to be more "cutthroat" than African Americans. She went on to describe how those with an African background were, and I quote, "lazier on the job" than whites because their growing season is all year long and as such, work is less of a priority to them (socializing with others was #1 by the way)!!! This went on as she covered every ethnic group (I think she had 6 or so).

I was outraged!!! To be made to feel so guilty, only to then be lumped into these generalizations was unreal. All of this coming from an African American woman with a PhD. Wow.

Now, you tell me, who is perpetuating racism in this country?

We are all equals, and as such, we should all adhere to the same standards, FOR EVERYTHING. Until that day comes, we will live in a racist country.

fishindr said:

I think it's the same for Asians and South Asians too.

Aero047 said:
I think it's the same for Asians and South Asians too.

It's EVERYONE. From top to bottom, we will ALL pay for it until something changes.

fishindr said:

As another sdn'r said above, with a low GPA you didn't necessarily work hard and expect success. Also, I believe this country has had a spotted past when it comes to minorities (slavery of blacks, internment camps of Japanese Americans during WWII and so on). With such prejudicial societal aspects, minorities have had it a little rougher than others (including myself as I am white). I believe that Howard U. is a private school, and so they have the right to weigh their admissions process how they like. I believe there are schools that still do not accept blacks (I forget the name of the univer. in the south that does that). If you are an exceptional candidate, I believe Howard U. will take you very seriously, even if you are white. But I guess you want to go there not for the education they provide, but for the fact that they have lower gpa's and dat stats.

GENERAL TSO said:
well the fact of the matter is, YOU DIDNT WORK HARD.

you said that your GPA was low. YOU DONT DESERVE IT BRO.

It pains me to say this, because I know you're just trying to make a guy feel bad, but YOU'RE RIGHT.

I didn't work hard...my freshman year. The next 3 years I did very well, ending with a 3.3 cum (low in my opinion).

"YOU DONT DESERVE IT BRO", well, maybe I DIDN'T deserve it, that's why I didn't get in the first year. But I took the necessary steps (extra classes, volunteer, etc.) and I got in this year (to a top school and a few others).

It's personal responsibility. I don't blame anyone but myself for having to go through an extra year of apps., I MADE MY OWN CHOICES, and I paid for them. I also made the choice not to blame it on anyone else, take another year, and get it done.

The problem is, these programs, quotas, etc. all stem from and continue allow the opportunity to blame others for the problems which we ourselves create. "I didn't get in because I'm a:thumbdown:________". It BS!!!

We live in a country that people will float on tires or stuff themselves into an empty gas tank of a semi just for the chance at what we have.

There's A LOT of people out there the believe they haven't been given the opportunity to succeed. I say, we all have the opportunity, it's what you do with it that's important.

Look, things have been rough for me in my life (I don't need to get into it), but guess what, I DOESN'T MATTER. Life is tough for a lot of people. I could've let it get me down, and nobody would thought less of me. Everyone just expected me to be a loser, but I'm not, and I did it myself, without some damn program or quota to help me along. I was lucky enough to be told this quote by someone I really looked up to. "We don't choose what we're born into, but we can choose our future." I'm damn proud of what I accomplished, I'm sure you are too, and I'd be pissed if someone out there was thinking, "Well, he just got in because he gave in interviewer some sob story about how tough his life is."

Personal responsibility. Once people in this country accept it, we'll all be better off.

nothen2do said:
As another sdn'r said above, with a low GPA you didn't necessarily work hard and expect success. Also, I believe this country has had a spotted past when it comes to minorities (slavery of blacks, internment camps of Japanese Americans during WWII and so on). With such prejudicial societal aspects, minorities have had it a little rougher than others (including myself as I am white). I believe that Howard U. is a private school, and so they have the right to weigh their admissions process how they like. I believe there are schools that still do not accept blacks (I forget the name of the univer. in the south that does that). If you are an exceptional candidate, I believe Howard U. will take you very seriously, even if you are white. But I guess you want to go there not for the education they provide, but for the fact that they have lower gpa's and dat stats.

"But I guess you want to go there not for the education they provide, but for the fact that they have lower gpa's and dat stats."

I wanted to get in man. I applied to mostly private school with lower GPA's hoping for a sure thing. VERY,VERY common when applying to schools. Do you think I would apply to Columbia and Harvard with a 3.3. Seriously, you're smarter than that. Use your brain a little before you post.

The US definitely has a "spotty" past. But it's just that, the PAST. I wasn't here, neither were you, nor does 99% of this country believe that slavery was right or ever was right. Yet still we hang on to it, paying for sins which we ourselves never committed. This country has an opportunity to see TRUE EQUALITY for the first time in it's history, and instead, we deny it in an attempt to be politically correct. We tip toe around the important issues rather than embrace them. I believe in our lifetime you will see a shift in politics like none before. I believe someday we will all realize that we are all just people, no more, no less.

"With such prejudicial societal aspects, minorities have had it a little rougher than others (including myself as I am white)."

How so? and did I hear a past tense in there. Please see above, oh, and P.S., it 2005.

My mother is a drug addict. I've seen her stabbed by her boyfriend. That's the tip of the iceberg of what I've seen. Does it make me any more deserving than you? Nope. A lot of other people out there have it rough to and don't have any programs to help them, nor do they want them for that matter. You can achieve what you want to achieve, the only one stopping you is yourself.

Laurie said:

Sorry for hijacking your post Laurie. Some of us have strong feelings/opinions about these types of things and go a little crazy. Again, sorry for taking over, I hope you get the info you need.

As far as I know, it's a pretty good school. Like every other school, you'll just need to check it out and make your own informed decision about whether it's right for you or not.

It's ironic, imho, the goal of affirmitive action is to "even things out" so that maybe in 50 or 100 years the effects of our "spotted past" will be negated, almost as though "it never happened" (that's what my mom tried to get us to say when somebody farted). Should individuals be punished and rewarded based on nothing of their doing but rather to benifit society as a whole?

On an individual level, blacks have varied backgrounds just like whites do. If there is a quota, it should be a matter of how hard it was for you to get where you are. Then again, we probably don't want kids with severe mental ******ation getting into dental school because of how hard their life has been. I mean really, they probably face the most challenges.

Dr. Future said:

Hello world, ever been to St. Louis? People get killed just for being white and walking into a black neighborhood, how about you try it?

Edit: Why does Howard have the lowest stats for everything? Is it because it's mostly an all black school? The majority of black high schools are ****ty, so I guess the same goes for colleges. When mommy's a crack head and you have no idea who your father is, its probably hard for the schools to get tax money...but Howard is a private school so whats going on?

fruity_trident said:

:rolleyes: omg this thread is gettin out of hand....this is insane....someone just answer MY question :laugh:

as for u laurie ... take what ppl are saying with a grain of salt...u really shouldn't let other ppl change your mind on what school u want to go to...go visit the school...talk to the students...research other schools...weigh out pros and cons, etc, etc. ultimately, it's your decision. what's a good school for u, may be a bad school for someone else.

good luck. i'm sure u'll figure out what school u want to go to soon :thumbup: :)

fruity_trident said:
:rolleyes: omg this thread is gettin out of hand....this is insane....someone just answer MY question :laugh:

as for u laurie ... take what ppl are saying with a grain of salt...u really shouldn't let other ppl change your mind on what school u want to go to...go visit the school...talk to the students...research other schools...weigh out pros and cons, etc, etc. ultimately, it's your decision. what's a good school for u, may be a bad school for someone else.

good luck. i'm sure u'll figure out what school u want to go to soon :thumbup: :)

just visit the school and stay an extra day. on the second day, walk around the campus say around 6- 8:00 in a tight shirt and tight jeans.

see if you feel secure..... If you are white, my $$$ is on a NO SAFE square.

THIS THREAD SUCKS !

TravisP said:
Hello world, ever been to St. Louis? People get killed just for being white and walking into a black neighborhood, how about you try it?

Edit: Why does Howard have the lowest stats for everything? Is it because it's mostly an all black school? The majority of black high schools are ****ty, so I guess the same goes for colleges. When mommy's a crack head and you have no idea who your father is, its probably hard for the schools to get tax money...but Howard is a private school so whats going on?

I've been waiting for you to ask. It has nothing/yet something to do with it being a private, black univerisity. It's not that it's African American, it's that it's easier to get in there if you are. It would be the same if there was an all white school or all asian. What happens is this:

All the students apply to whereever. They get into their various schools, but since the schools have quotas to meet, they get in with lower stats. It has nothing to do with the calibur of the students, there's just less of them to choose from. As a result, those that are "left over" end up going to their back up school, Howard, resulting in the lower stats there. It's the same dynamic you see with the more expensive schools. People go to the cheaper schools, then who's left over goes to the expensive ones. The more expensive ones accept those with "lower" stats, because there are fewer people willing to shell out the money to go there. The ones with higher stats usually end up going to cheaper/better schools. It's just the way it goes.

TP- I'd be a little more careful with your generalizations. Stick with facts and you'll be better off.

You make a point though. It's probably the biggest social problem of our time, and what we're doing to fix it now isn't working.

TravisP said:

Do you think that African Americans or any other minority group have never been killed for being in the wrong neighborhood, or received dirty looks because they are in the wrong part of town. You can't just stereotype one group of people like that. When was the last time you were St. Louis and was harassed because you were in a black or hispanic neighborhood, or are you just speaking on behalf of someone else? Just for the record, as a female I would never be stupid enough to go to East St. Louis either, so that really has nothing to do with just being white!

TravisP, why can't we just act like adults and not take it to that level?

Back to the beginning of this thread, Laurie, you apply to Howard University, and if you are passionate about going to that school, then you will attend that school someday. I am now going to go for a walk, hopefully I won't end up in an all black or all hispanic neighborhood and get killed today. Why don't we just close this thread because it isn't going anywhere.

Dr. Future said:
Do you think that African Americans or any other minority group have never been killed for being in the wrong neighborhood, or received dirty looks because they are in the wrong part of town.

No, now a days, not at ALL. Black people can roam into all white suburbs with their white ho's and not be harmed at all. Now if you go into Kinloch, Wellston, East STL, anywhere in a majority black population its the other way around. Black people are the most racist people on earth, like it or not... but they dont bother me. The people who bother me are liberal white people who don't know **** and live in their big houses in their all white communities. They are the reason for all this AA/Gay/Interracial/what ever is on the hollywood agenda bandwagon.
Dr. Future said:
You can't just stereotype one group of people like that. When was the last time you were St. Louis and was harassed because you were in a black or hispanic neighborhood, or are you just speaking on behalf of someone else? Just for the record, as a female I would never be stupid enough to go to East St. Louis either, so that really has nothing to do with just being white!

Yes I certainly can, who the hell do you think causes all the crime? White people? There arn't any hispanics here, so I have no idea about them, but it seems like in Texas and Cali they seem to have a problem with them. A question for you is why wont you go into East STL? Are you stereotyping the blacks there? Saying that they would attack you since your a white woman?

(Side Note: Not all of the crime is commited by blacks, but its a huge percentage of their population. Yes out of 300 million people in the US more white people would cause crime since there are 220 million of them compared to 30 million blacks. You have to look at the percentage. Doesn't take Calculus III to figure this out.)

TravisP said:

Is a shame that someone who wants to be a professional student still thinks this way. You remind of the those white people when they see a black, asian or hispanic person they run across the street or start acting scared. I don't even know how you can possible relate to your non white patients. Good luck.

ibo man said:
Is a shame that someone who wants to be a professional student still thinks this way. You remind of the those white people when they see a black, asian or hispanic person they run across the street or start acting scared. I don't even know how you can possible relate to your non white patients. Good luck.

Yeah ok, i'm the big racist here. Im scarred of black people when my high school is half black. I run away when I see them even though alot of my neighbors are black. This is where I live http://www.city-data.com/city/University-City-Missouri.html Even though my best friends are Asian, Russian and Bolivian I hate all other races.

Really, you are a dumb ass who has nothing better to say. When you lose you pull out the race card. I bet you see alot of white people run away from black people. Maybe thats you? I don't even know why I stand up for white people, most of you are brainwashed *******.

TravisP said:
I'm applying to some combined BS/DMD program there. All I need is a 3.3. GPA and a 18 DAT to be accepted. Three years undergrad, four years graduate.

Good luck with your rejection.

You wanna come to SIU dental school? I'll do everything in my power to make sure that the school reject your application. I'll definitely contact Dr. Boyle ( Dean), and Dr Declue and let them know that SIU dosen't deserve a racist student, such as yourself. For your info. I attend SIU/SDM.

wow... this thread is so done.

I'm very sad to see there are so many goddamn *******es going into the dental profession.....

I really feel bad for Laurie... who asked a legitimate question and instead got all these bull**** posts.

ibo man said:
You wanna come to SIU dental school? I'll do everything in my power to make sure that the school reject your application. I'll definitely contact Dr. Boyle ( Dean), and Dr Declue and let them know that SIU dosen't deserve a racist student, such as yourself. For your info. I attend SIU/SDM.

I'm not going to go there, so you can do what ever you want. Call me racist cause thats all you got. Empty threats because you CANT prove me wrong.

And lets define Racist,
Racist: A person with a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to others.
Ok dumb****, am I saying white people are superior to other races? There is no way in hell I would say your ass is superior to anyone since you can't even debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.