CBSE February 8, 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lets hope for the best.
Yeah ideally I'll be submitting my application right after the August exam scores come out, so hopefully everything goes according to plan lol

Members don't see this ad.

Would you retake with a 180. Want to apply to 4 years only program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you retake with a 180. Want to apply to 4 years only program.

I'm taking mine in August but general consensus is you probably will get some interviews (as long as other parts of your application are in line); however, you would be much more competitive by hitting that 70 even for four years.

Last edited:
Go for it again, you’ve got the time. I scored just above you and I’m taking again in August. Let’s all cross our fingers August still happens!

Alright Guys, If anyone interested for dedicated and well planned study periods for august exam, PM me with you email address, so we can make a study group,

Hey y'all,

I wasn't planning to do a write-up, but someone asked me to and I ended up writing a freakin novel as all the memories of studying came flooding back...

Background - P/F school with an integrated medical curriculum for the first 1.5 years. My plan going into dental school was to coordinate CBSE studying with the organ systems we were learning at the time. I didn't really have a formal way of doing that for the first few months, as I was trying to get accustomed to the dental school workload.

I began coordinating FA, BnB, and the lightyear Anki deck with my classes in March 2019. Essentially, I was most concerned about learning the CBSE relevant material and didn't focus on the granular details discussed in my classes so much. However, I would cram the study guides passed down from upperclassmen in the 1-2 days before a school exam, just as a safety mechanism to make sure I wasn't missing too much by focusing my time on CBSE resources.

My semester ended in early June, and thankfully, my school gives the summer off between D1 and D2, so I used June to get caught up on the material I was behind on or that my school wouldn't cover. I couldn't learn any new material in July or early August because of an obligation I had, but I was able to keep up with Anki reviews. When I finally could start learning new material again, I was pretty burnt out by the Anki grind and ultimately decided to completely scrap doing Anki after getting ~14K cards through the lightyear deck. I decided I would focus on doing as many questions as possible in lieu of the time I would have spent on Anki, using the questions as a version of "spaced repetition," if that makes sense.

My school's first class of the fall was Infectious Disease, so I watched the Sketchy Micro and relevant Sketchy Pharm vids. I didn't watch BnB for this chapter, but I did the BnB questions associated with it. I also started doing UWorld on timed and random during this time (I think I was doing like 25 qs a day), reading the explanation of EVERY question. I took NBME 24 on 9/24 and got a 75. I kept grinding out BnB, FA, and Uworld for the rest of the semester, but I also had to balance studying for Part I of dental boards. I did 100 ASDA board questions a day on top of the CBSE stuff starting around November, with the intention of finishing my first UWorld pass by the end of the semester and taking NBDE Part I shortly thereafter.

My school gives ~5 weeks in the winter of D2 for boards, between mid-December to late January. Like I said, I wanted to get dental boards out of the way ASAP so I could use the rest of that free-time for dedicated CBSE studying. My semester ended December 16th and I took boards on December 23rd, then went home for a few days to celebrate Christmas with my family. I went back to my apartment at school with the intention of studying HARD before the February CBSE. My plan was to do a full-length test every week so I could learn where my weaknesses fell, then I would use the following week to re-learn those weak areas in BnB and FA. Rinse-repeat. I also did a 2nd pass of UWorld (120 qs a day), but I only read the explanations for questions I got wrong. I think my first pass of UWorld in the fall ended up being ~70% correct and my second pass ended up being ~92% correct.

UWSA 1: ~94 on 12/28/2019
NBME 23: ~83 on 1/4/2020
NBME 22: ~ 85 on 1/11/2020
NBME 21: ~88 on 1/18/2020
UWSA 2: ~ 92 on 1/24/2020 ***(see note below)
NBME 20: ~88 on 1/26/2020

My classes began again for the spring semester on January 27th, so I had ~2 weeks of class to worry about before the CBSE on 2/8/2020. I went to my mandatory classes but spent them trying to read FA or UWorld explanations. I took NBME 18 on 2/1/2020 because I read that people said it was most representative of your score on the real thing and I got a 92 on that ***(see note below). I spent the last week before the CBSE reading FA chapters every waking second of the day, trying to cram as much as possible. I ended up skipping several classes that last week so I could cram.

I ended up feeling REALLY burnt out by Thursday, so I took Friday easy. I read the rapid review section of First Aid that Friday morning, then I called it a day. I tried to take my mind off the exam by exercising a little bit and watching Netflix. I went to bed super early, and thankfully, I was able to sleep really well thanks to skipping my afternoon coffee and working out.

I approached the morning of 2/8 as if I was just taking another NBME practice test. I kept the same morning routine and ate the same breakfast I usually ate when studying. I got to my Prometric center early, which I'm thankful for because there were A LOT of dental students there to take the CBSE. Ultimately, I felt like the 1st exam block was easy but the 2nd was insanely difficult. The optional break between blocks 2 and 3 was a huge key for me. I needed that time to walk around, eat a snack, and clear my head after the 2nd block that rocked my world. Thankfully, blocks 3 and 4 felt easier than block 2, but still pretty tough.

Overall, I remember walking out of the testing center knowing I had given everything I had to study for that exam, and I was just super happy to be done. I called my parents, ate a cheeseburger, drank a beer, slept, then played basketball with some friends. I tried to get back to normal life until scores were released, but obviously I was anxiously checking every day. I ended up with a 245 when they finally did get released, which is somewhere between 89-90 on the old, 2-digit scoring system.

Overall, I was ecstatic and really proud of myself because my goal from the beginning was to get a 90 or above. The process of studying for the CBSE is really, really difficult, and it's easy to feel defeated by the process. I think it's super important that future test takers realize that what they're doing is no small feat and that they should be proud of whatever progress they're making. Try to find other people with a similar mindset to you that are also preparing to take the exam. Ask each other things and support each other. Talk to friends and family, and love yourself.

*** NOTE

I read a lot of sources that said UWSA 2 and NBME 18 would be most representative of your real score. I personally thought those practice tests were way, way easier than the real exam, and several of my friends agree. The new NBMEs (20-24) are most representative in my opinion. I would prioritize taking those online from the NBME site under simulated testing conditions. You can find explanations for these NBMEs on NBMEanswers.com, which is an awesome site where medical and dental students work together to work out why the correct answer is correct. Also, some of the people that leave comments are really funny, so that's a bonus.

Reactions: 15 users
That is an awesome score to end a beautiful journey. I am scared of how much time it will take for the CBSE. When and where did you extern?
I'm finishing up D2 year now and haven't done any externships yet. The CBSE definitely takes a long time to appropriately prepare for, but with that said, everyone will be different on that depending on background and dental school schedules. I think it's helpful to have a general idea of what you want to accomplish overall, with a more specific plan on a smaller scale timeframe. Think about the things you want to accomplish that day, as well as for the week. If you're consistent with that, it will add up and it'll be exam day before you know it.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey y'all,

I wasn't planning to do a write-up, but someone asked me to and I ended up writing a freakin novel as all the memories of studying came flooding back...

Background - P/F school with an integrated medical curriculum for the first 1.5 years. My plan going into dental school was to coordinate CBSE studying with the organ systems we were learning at the time. I didn't really have a formal way of doing that for the first few months, as I was trying to get accustomed to the dental school workload.

I began coordinating FA, BnB, and the lightyear Anki deck with my classes in March 2019. Essentially, I was most concerned about learning the CBSE relevant material and didn't focus on the granular details discussed in my classes so much. However, I would cram the study guides passed down from upperclassmen in the 1-2 days before a school exam, just as a safety mechanism to make sure I wasn't missing too much by focusing my time on CBSE resources.

My semester ended in early June, and thankfully, my school gives the summer off between D1 and D2, so I used June to get caught up on the material I was behind on or that my school wouldn't cover. I couldn't learn any new material in July or early August because of an obligation I had, but I was able to keep up with Anki reviews. When I finally could start learning new material again, I was pretty burnt out by the Anki grind and ultimately decided to completely scrap doing Anki after getting ~14K cards through the lightyear deck. I decided I would focus on doing as many questions as possible in lieu of the time I would have spent on Anki, using the questions as a version of "spaced repetition," if that makes sense.

My school's first class of the fall was Infectious Disease, so I watched the Sketchy Micro and relevant Sketchy Pharm vids. I didn't watch BnB for this chapter, but I did the BnB questions associated with it. I also started doing UWorld on timed and random during this time (I think I was doing like 25 qs a day), reading the explanation of EVERY question. I took NBME 24 on 9/24 and got a 75. I kept grinding out BnB, FA, and Uworld for the rest of the semester, but I also had to balance studying for Part I of dental boards. I did 100 ASDA board questions a day on top of the CBSE stuff starting around November, with the intention of finishing my first UWorld pass by the end of the semester and taking NBDE Part I shortly thereafter.

My school gives ~5 weeks in the winter of D2 for boards, between mid-December to late January. Like I said, I wanted to get dental boards out of the way ASAP so I could use the rest of that free-time for dedicated CBSE studying. My semester ended December 16th and I took boards on December 23rd, then went home for a few days to celebrate Christmas with my family. I went back to my apartment at school with the intention of studying HARD before the February CBSE. My plan was to do a full-length test every week so I could learn where my weaknesses fell, then I would use the following week to re-learn those weak areas in BnB and FA. Rinse-repeat. I also did a 2nd pass of UWorld (120 qs a day), but I only read the explanations for questions I got wrong. I think my first pass of UWorld in the fall ended up being ~70% correct and my second pass ended up being ~92% correct.

My classes began again for the spring semester on January 27th, so I had ~2 weeks of class to worry about before the CBSE on 2/8/2020. I went to my mandatory classes but spent them trying to read FA or UWorld explanations. I took NBME 18 on 2/1/2020 because I read that people said it was most representative of your score on the real thing and I got a 92 on that ***(see note below). I spent the last week before the CBSE reading FA chapters every waking second of the day, trying to cram as much as possible. I ended up skipping several classes that last week so I could cram.

I ended up feeling REALLY burnt out by Thursday, so I took Friday easy. I read the rapid review section of First Aid that Friday morning, then I called it a day. I tried to take my mind off the exam by exercising a little bit and watching Netflix. I went to bed super early, and thankfully, I was able to sleep really well thanks to skipping my afternoon coffee and working out.

I approached the morning of 2/8 as if I was just taking another NBME practice test. I kept the same morning routine and ate the same breakfast I usually ate when studying. I got to my Prometric center early, which I'm thankful for because there were A LOT of dental students there to take the CBSE. Ultimately, I felt like the 1st exam block was easy but the 2nd was insanely difficult. The optional break between blocks 2 and 3 was a huge key for me. I needed that time to walk around, eat a snack, and clear my head after the 2nd block that rocked my world. Thankfully, blocks 3 and 4 felt easier than block 2, but still pretty tough.

Overall, I remember walking out of the testing center knowing I had given everything I had to study for that exam, and I was just super happy to be done. I called my parents, ate a cheeseburger, drank a beer, slept, then played basketball with some friends. I tried to get back to normal life until scores were released, but obviously I was anxiously checking every day. I ended up with a 245 when they finally did get released, which is somewhere between 89-90 on the old, 2-digit scoring system.

Overall, I was ecstatic and really proud of myself because my goal from the beginning was to get a 90 or above. The process of studying for the CBSE is really, really difficult, and it's easy to feel defeated by the process. I think it's super important that future test takers realize that what they're doing is no small feat and that they should be proud of whatever progress they're making. Try to find other people with a similar mindset to you that are also preparing to take the exam. Ask each other things and support each other. Talk to friends and family, and love yourself.

*** NOTE

I read a lot of sources that said UWSA 2 and NBME 18 would be most representative of your real score. I personally thought those practice tests were way, way easier than the real exam, and several of my friends agree. The new NBMEs (20-24) are most representative in my opinion. I would prioritize taking those online from the NBME site under simulated testing conditions. You can find explanations for these NBMEs on NBMEanswers.com, which is an awesome site where medical and dental students work together to work out why the correct answer is correct. Also, some of the people that leave comments are really funny, so that's a bonus.
absolute stud. well done, brother

Hey y'all,

*** NOTE

Amazing! Congrats, hard work paid off!!!

caffeine jitters inspired this write up, I found other people's information helpful so I will pass on my CBSE experience.

Background - State school with weak science curriculum, A/F grading + ranked.

Started studying December of D1 year.

Went through the entire Boards & Beyond series with the Lightyear Anki deck, I think in the end I did 19,000 out of the 22,500 cards in the deck.

Spring semester was our most intense semester with about 30 credits so progress was slow. I was able to complete biochemistry, neuroscience, infectious disease and pulmonary during the spring semester.

8 week summer semester I made it through renal, immunology, hematology.

Then I had 8 weeks off, during this time I was in the school's summer research program. It was my second summer working with my mentor so I was able to Anki some during the day. Finished up cardiology, gastroenterology, reproductive, endocrinology, psychiatry, and the other small sections. I finished up Board's and Beyond in late September. If I were to repeat this schedule again I would go a bit slower, many videos were viewed on 2X speed without annotating. I think I would have got a lot more out of the video series if I was able to take my time and annotate. Fatigue set in with the volume of school and trying to clear 800+ Lightyear cards in a day. Most days my total Anki review count was 1200-1800.

The fall semester I worked through Pathoma and Sketchy Micro with the Pepper Micro deck and some inconsistent Duke Pathoma cards. I attempted to maintain the Lightyear deck, but some days I ended up just holding down the space bar. In the fall I was unable to keep up my exercise routine and it was quite the push trying to ramp up for the CBSE and keep up the grades in school. Frequently throughout my entire study process I would be up to midnight or later. Missed my alarm in the mornings a few times!!

Additionally, during the fall semester I completed my first pass through UWorld. I think for about 70 days straight I did one block everyday. Average was pretty low at the end, around 55%. I attempted to make some Anki on my incorrect questions, but did not end up consistently doing the deck I made. I tried to read the whole UWorld explanation, but wow those are long paragraphs.

At the start of winter break I took UWSA 1 and I scored 194. Over winter break I decided to review each section by annotating first aid and completed the associated AMBOSS questions with each section. The bigger sections took 2-3 days to review, and small sections took one day. I found the additional questions very valuable and thought AMBOSS felt more manageable than UWorld with shorter explanations. A few days after I was back to school in January I finished AMBOSS.

Next in January I worked through my UWorld wrongs and started taking NBME practice tests weekly. I did not record all my scores but generally scored in the 210 - 220 range. Probably completed about 3 NBME's in total and then scored around 220 on UWSA2 near the end of January.

In the last week I did a complete second pass through First Aid, I think one day on the weekend I read 200 pages haha, not sure how much I gained from this but it was nice to see the main concepts one more time. Additionally, I watched some review video on youtube such as Dirty Medicine - Types of Shock. Memorized biostats formulas and watched Randy Neil biostats youtube videos.

Fought hard on test day, felt like the test was challenging but there was quite a few give-me questions if you hit an anki deck hard. Example - muscles of the Zenker diverticulum. It was tough waiting for the score, I could only think about easy questions I missed.

Score: 226-237 = 80-85

I was very happy with my score, 80 was the goal. I think it would be pretty brutal to take the test multiple times, it is a lot of stress on top of school, thus I would recommend pushing hard with the intent to take it once. I did not do much socially the whole year, went out with friends a handful of times, took a toll on my relationships. One key was a study partner, probably 90% of this time I was with a friend who also took the exam, don't think I could of worked nearly as hard without him. Thanks to all who have posted other information about study schedules, found it very helpful.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Hello world, I'm not going to do a full write up since my study strategy followed very similar caffeine jitters and toothripper but I have been helping many of my med student friends study for their step 1s, 3 of which have taken within the last 3 weeks with scores and been trying to help my upcoming MS2 friends coordinate their study schedules.

Background: State school, class rank, no med curriculum, terrible basic science foundation, newfound test anxiety since starting dental school

Materials used: Boards and Beyond + Lightyear, Pathoma + Duke's Pathoma Deck, First Aid, 100 High-yield anatomy facts, sketchy micro and sparse sketchy pharm (though my knowledge of pharm would suggest i didn't use it at all), UWorld 1.5x, AMBOSS, 1.5x

Practice tests: UWSA1, UWSA2, NBME 15, 16, 18, 20, Free 120
Started around 194, crept up into the 210s, last 2 exams were around 230

Study time: 14 months

Score: 75-80, satisfied with the score since my initial goal was 70+ but was dissapointed as I underperformed my last 2 practice exams by a decent margin

My takeaways from helping others, reflecting on the composition of our CBSE, as well as the recent step 1s that I've seen is that the new step 1 and CBSEs have had high content of basic pathology (think chatper 1-3 of pathoma), immunology, and biochemistry, with very few systems questions. On the CBSE, I was pretty annoyed with the lack of systems questions on typical pathology (RTAs, cancers, not a single diabetes question, etc.). My friends had found this to be true as well and said that of the 280 questions they had on NBME USMLE, close 150 could have been answered using just their knowledge from chapters 1-3 of pathoma and biochem knowledge and that all of that was covered in Pixorize. For those of you who don't know, pixorize is basically an analogue of sketchymicro for biochemistry and immunology. After taking the test in February, I suggested that my friends use pixorize to strengthen their biochem and immunology and it paid off in spades with most of them scoring 240+ to which they attributed a lot of their strong foundation in biochem and immunology to pixorize,

The big takeaway from this ramble is that a strong foundation of biochem, immunology, and basic pathology is paramount to doing well given the restructuring of the exam breakdown. If you find sketchy useful and that style of learning beneficial, then pixorize should be something you take a look at. Not sponsored by them ( i wish ), but its definitely something I wish I incorporated into my studies. The other things is know when to cut off big anki decks like Zanki, Anking, and Lightyear during the time approaching your test. Focus more on reviewing content, reviewing, hammering home weak points with youtube videos and rereads of FA, and revisiting content. I reread FA the 4 days before the exam and found it beneficial to have a nice memory bank of all the syndromes and diseases seen one last time. Also try to find a study partner or atleast someone to rant with about how much studying sucks, knowing that we all are going through/went through the same. Best of luck and study hard.

Reactions: 6 users
My takeaways from helping others, reflecting on the composition of our CBSE, as well as the recent step 1s that I've seen is that the new step 1 and CBSEs have had high content of basic pathology (think chatper 1-3 of pathoma), immunology, and biochemistry, with very few systems questions. On the CBSE, I was pretty annoyed with the lack of systems questions on typical pathology (RTAs, cancers, not a single diabetes question, etc.). My friends had found this to be true as well and said that of the 280 questions they had on NBME USMLE, close 150 could have been answered using just their knowledge from chapters 1-3 of pathoma and biochem knowledge and that all of that was covered in Pixorize. For those of you who don't know, pixorize is basically an analogue of sketchymicro for biochemistry and immunology. After taking the test in February, I suggested that my friends use pixorize to strengthen their biochem and immunology and it paid off in spades with most of them scoring 240+ to which they attributed a lot of their strong foundation in biochem and immunology to pixorize,

Thanks for your input, and congrats on a great score! When you talk about biochemistry, what are you referring to? Pathways, pathologies in those pathways, etc? From the step 1 reddit threads and people I've talked to personally, they haven't seen much biochem on the exam. That includes me from my first cbse. Good to know if it is being hit harder so far this year.

Thanks for your input, and congrats on a great score! When you talk about biochemistry, what are you referring to? Pathways, pathologies in those pathways, etc? From the step 1 reddit threads and people I've talked to personally, they haven't seen much biochem on the exam. That includes me from my first cbse. Good to know if it is being hit harder so far this year.

Feb CBSE only had less than 5 straight biochemistry questions (like TCA cycle and things pertaining to these cycles), but there were a good amount I remember that dealt with diseases in the Biochem chapter of First Aid (i.e. genetic diseases, lysosomal storage diseases, etc.)

Feb CBSE only had less than 5 straight biochemistry questions (like TCA cycle and things pertaining to these cycles), but there were a good amount I remember that dealt with diseases in the Biochem chapter of First Aid (i.e. genetic diseases, lysosomal storage diseases, etc.)

That matches up with my experience as well...lysosomal storage, dislipidemias, inborn errors of metabolism, porphyrias, etc etc..

lysosomal storage, dislipidemias, inborn errors of metabolism, porphyrias, etc etc..

Always had a hard time keeping these straight. Forgot it all in time for Step 1 and then forgot it again for the Step 2.

Reactions: 2 users
Always had a hard time keeping these straight. Forgot it all in time for Step 1 and then forgot it again for the Step 2.

If only Pixorize was around for ya.. it’s incredibly helpful! Visual mnemonics ftw

What @TeethAndTitanium just said. There didn't seem to be a whole lot of stuff about pathways like intermediates of the cahil cycle or whatnot or what part of the cell does this part of LCFA metabolism occur in. A lot of the syndromes and it seems that a lot of genetics is being focused as well, fundamental things like methylation at cpg islands or which histones go where.

Thank you. I really appreciate it.

I hope people here can find it interesting/useful.

Your Instagram is sweet! All the oms hopefuls at my school follow you and talk about your posts!