CCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys.

Well I got my acceptance letter to UIC's RMED program on Friday, and once my deposit check is cashed, I'm going to release my seat at CCOM.

I know many of you are on waitlists and I'd rather not hold onto it when someone else needs it.

I'll let y'all know when I actually release it, but just giving you the heads up.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys.

Well I got my acceptance letter to UIC's RMED program on Friday, and once my deposit check is cashed, I'm going to release my seat at CCOM.

I know many of you are on waitlists and I'd rather not hold onto it when someone else needs it.

I'll let y'all know when I actually release it, but just giving you the heads up.

Good luck!

Well that's awesome Megboo. I was hoping you would get in! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys.

Good luck!

Woo hoo!! :clap: It's about d*mn time!! ;)

Does anyone know if a first year has a chance of getting into the Pines apartments, or any other on-campus housing besides dorms?

Would current first or second year students recommend staying on-campus or going off-campus? I would assume that on-campus would be cheaper, but I don't know much about that area of Illinois

I had my interview yesterday and our tour guide said that the dorms are actually more expensive than living off campus. I do not recall which dorms we looked at since it was so cold outside and I was concentrating on not freezing to death but I do remember him telling us there was a significant difference in cost. I'm not sure if he is just comparing cost of housing, but I would suspect that the costs do become comprable when you take into consideration the travel expenses etc... Also, the dorm rooms were very VERY very small. It felt like a jail cell to be honest. And since they are constructed of concrete you don't get good cell phone service in the dorms. I think he said some providers get better coverage than others...

Where do most off-campus students live?? Is it just where ever they can find housing, or are there better locations and when should first year students to be start looking for off-campus housing???

this is a bit of a thing to ask current students...i heard a lot live on campus first year...a bunch live in those pine apartments near/on campus 2nd year (maybe 1st year as well?)...then most move off campus for their clinical years...off campus popular sites I hear have included Oak Park...Forest Park...Chicago (Lincoln Park, etc.). That's really something I would try to get information from from admissions etc once you're accepted.

i really want to know more about the on-campus apts (pine apts)...also are the off campus apt really far away? are they in walking distance? what are the different price ranges? i really wish CCOM sent us more info in housing...any help will be appreciated

maybe go to a class thread on the osteo forum?

Well, I guess I'll be going for an interview tomorrow. I just got a call. So, getting the last minute call probably to fill the spot of a cancellation, does that mean that I am just there to fill the spot or are they actually interested in me? I guess it dosn't really matter, they are going to interview me anyways!

Well, I guess I'll be going for an interview tomorrow. I just got a call. So, getting the last minute call probably to fill the spot of a cancellation, does that mean that I am just there to fill the spot or are they actually interested in me? I guess it dosn't really matter, they are going to interview me anyways!

Of course they want you!!!!!!!! You just had a late DO letter.

There's going to be a lot of switching around with people declining acceptances and so on in the next few months so as long as you interview well, you have a good shot!

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

congrats kate!!! :)

Awesome Kate!! I think they're definitely interested in you. :D:luck:

Nah they just need someone to keep a seat warm. Good luck at your interview. We need more good looking classmates!

i really want to know more about the on-campus apts (pine apts)...also are the off campus apt really far away? are they in walking distance? what are the different price ranges? i really wish CCOM sent us more info in housing...any help will be appreciated

I was a PA student there back in 2002-2004. The pines apartments are VERY hard to get for most students. The main reason is that there are not that many. I could be wrong but, I believe there are 8 per building and four buildings? You would think I would remember since I lived there for over a year! It is on a first come first serve basis. The key is to talk with the housing people over there are let them know you are interested and keep calling. The problem is the PA and OT students start in the summer where the CCOM classes start in the fall. So, a lot of the first year PA/OT students get the apartments. I do know of some first year CCOM students who did get them however. So, call the school, talk with the housing people, keep bugging them!!! When I was there, it was $600 a month plus utilities. It seemed like a lot of the CCOM students lived off campus. Not much help there. Most lived in town near the train tracks. I don't think there are too many apartments within walking distance. Best of luck to you. The dorms are small, just like undergrad dorms. Great school, you will enjoy it there!!

Pine Apts are on campus, so yes you can walk to class. There are first year CCOM students living there now, so I do not know about the waitlist thing. I have friends who live 10 miles from the school and some who live just a few blocks. Also the dorms are not all like jail cells, just some are..LOL. Seriously some dorms are better than others. If you can get tot he school, I am sure that someone can show you around and let you know all of the info about housing.

Marcia

Last year I got a cancellation spot, I was accepted, so if they called you, they are interested.

Marcia

Wish they called me for a cancellation spot. I've called them and told them that since I'm close to CCOM, I can come at a moments notice...still no luck here. :(

^^Same here.. :(

and I wrote them 3 LOI's.. blah.

^^Same here.. :(

and I wrote them 3 LOI's.. blah.

Sorry guys, my file must have been convenient. I'll be sure and check how full they are tomorrow and post back here. I'm really not ready, my suit needs to be dry cleaned. Oh well, I don't think it's noticibly dirty. Also, I never got the confirmation email that the lady on the phone said she was sending. So, wouldn't it be great if I showed up tomorrow morning to hear that this was a mistake of some sort. I certainly wasn't expecting to even get an interview with everyone on here with better stats than me on hold.

:) I am sure nobody could ever tell if your suit needed cleaning.. I haven't bothered to clean mine!! I bet you are in an interview right now rocking it!!!

Sorry guys, my file must have been convenient. I'll be sure and check how full they are tomorrow and post back here. I'm really not ready, my suit needs to be dry cleaned. Oh well, I don't think it's noticibly dirty. Also, I never got the confirmation email that the lady on the phone said she was sending. So, wouldn't it be great if I showed up tomorrow morning to hear that this was a mistake of some sort. I certainly wasn't expecting to even get an interview with everyone on here with better stats than me on hold.

Be optimistic!!! I thought everyone on here on hold had better stats then me too and was SURE that I would get waitlisted if not rejected but I got in a few weeks ago so don't go to your interview thinking you aren't qualified. They invited you becuase they think you are qualified, just remember that and show them how great you are!

I'm back, it went fine. Interviewers were nice. Tour guides were a little juvenile. Nothing spectacular.

So which school would you choose???? I am super curious since you were set on CCOM then LECOM changed your mind and THEN you got a call from CCOM!!!

I'm back, it went fine. Interviewers were nice. Tour guides were a little juvenile. Nothing spectacular.

Try not to base your opinion of a school on student tour guides...I actually have a friend whose tour guides spewed all sorts of crazy ("Don't bother coming here if you plan to live in the city and commute" "Don't come here with a relationship, every one I know who did is now broken up")...this person was planning to remain in the city and was engaged to be married.

On my interview day, I had two pretty relaxed and helpful guys. Not only did they allude to married people frequently but also that people commute from the suburbs and city (though they didn't necessarily recommend it, they said people do it and survive fine).

Basically...think of college. I'm sure there were people you knew/disliked who if they gave a relative of yours a tour you'd say "For God sakes don't base your opinion of this place off that person." It's gotta be similar for med schools.

Try not to base your opinion of a school on student tour guides...I actually have a friend whose tour guides spewed all sorts of crazy ("Don't bother coming here if you plan to live in the city and commute" "Don't come here with a relationship, every one I know who did is now broken up")...this person was planning to remain in the city and was engaged to be married.

On my interview day, I had two pretty relaxed and helpful guys. Not only did they allude to married people frequently but also that people commute from the suburbs and city (though they didn't necessarily recommend it, they said people do it and survive fine).

Basically...think of college. I'm sure there were people you knew/disliked who if they gave a relative of yours a tour you'd say "For God sakes don't base your opinion of this place off that person." It's gotta be similar for med schools.

Thanks, I'm not really going to let that influence my decision. This interview day was just on a different level than my others were. But, my interviewers were very nice, including the student. Also, I know alot of people who have graduated from CCOM, so I do know that they put out good students. I just thought it would have been nicer if a staff member gave the tour.

Thanks, I'm not really going to let that influence my decision. This interview day was just on a different level than my others were. But, my interviewers were very nice, including the student. Also, I know alot of people who have graduated from CCOM, so I do know that they put out good students. I just thought it would have been nicer if a staff member gave the tour.

They always have student ambassadors give the tours. It is usually time for the future students to ask all the questions of present students that the staff cannot answer. After interviewing they like to give you the opportunity to relax and not feel as if you have to impress another faculty member. Sorry you had a not so good experience with your guides. If you have questions just ask. If I do not know the answer, I can see if I can get another student that does have the answer to help you out.

Did your tour guides try to fit everyone in the gazebo?

Nope, didn't even see a gazebo. We were all crammed in a little elevator though. I'm not trying to be mean, they were not doing anything stupid. I was just annoyed by the one girl whose every other word was "like", and they really just chatted the whole time and didn't really give us any useful information about the school. Honestly, we were just walking and they didn't tell us where we were going or where we were most of the time. This was the only interview I've had where there was not a presentation about the school, and I would have liked to hear more. (no I don't have any specific questions)

Nope, didn't even see a gazebo. We were all crammed in a little elevator though. I'm not trying to be mean, they were not doing anything stupid. I was just annoyed by the one girl whose every other word was "like", and they really just chatted the whole time and didn't really give us any useful information about the school. Honestly, we were just walking and they didn't tell us where we were going or where we were most of the time. This was the only interview I've had where there was not a presentation about the school, and I would have liked to hear more. (no I don't have any specific questions)

Im sorry for your experience.....but I think it is a better idea to tour with students than faculty, only because you will get "real" information on actual student life...perhaps you just happened to tour with the wrong guides

one big party?...may be for every other programs than CCOM at midwestern...they have a pharm, pa, and psychD program as well..and im sure they have it much easier than the DO program....because all the DO students looked pretty stressed and very unhappy...it sure didn't look they were having one big party

keep in mind CCOM has one of the toughest programs...and that hasn't translated into superior board scores though

My tour guides were a couple of DO students. Male.

My tour guides were a couple of DO students. Male.

well..maybe they were just putting up a front to counteract all the stress that medical students face....it could possibly be a defense mechanism..who knows...all i know is that whatever med school u do go to...it will never be a party.

of course you'll have your select few that will get by with partying...but that's a rarity

well..maybe they were just putting up a front to counteract all the stress that medical students face....it could possibly be a defense mechanism..who knows...all i know is that whatever med school u do go to...it will never be a party.

of course you'll have your select few that will get by with partying...but that's a rarity

Um, no.

So anyway, back to tour guides. My group's tour guides were nice guys, but like I said seemed to like to party a little too much. We did get to see a lot of places on campus, but it was kind of like "here's xyz building for this class, let's move on" - not really descriptive of what they did in that class nor did they take us to see classrooms, even if empty.

One thing I they did that I liked was to walk us back to the dorms to see them. Didn't get that at other interviews, so that was nice.

BTW - not judging the school. Didn't say anything negative about the school based on the tour guides. Just commenting on the guides themselves.

So anyway, back to tour guides. My group's tour guides were nice guys, but like I said seemed to like to party a little too much. We did get to see a lot of places on campus, but it was kind of like "here's xyz building for this class, let's move on" - not really descriptive of what they did in that class nor did they take us to see classrooms, even if empty.

One thing I they did that I liked was to walk us back to the dorms to see them. Didn't get that at other interviews, so that was nice.

Megboo, tour guides are students...and they are taking their time off to show show you around...perhaps they didn't really think about it really hard....perhaps they didnt know what you wanted to see

did you try to speak up? did you ask them to show you the classrooms? If not, how can you expect them to know that you wanted to see them? there are a million things on campus...and they can't possibly spend all the times showing you all the nooks and crannies every where and they can't possibly read your minds

I know I wasn't there.....and if you look at my post history...im not a big fan of CCOM...so I really no have no other reason to defend CCOM...so its not like im protecting CCOM for nothing here

I just think it's very wrong to judge a school based on what a few tour guides were like...they are in no way representative of the entire student body...this goes for any school

I just think it's very wrong to judge a school based on what a few tour guides were like...they are in no way representative of the entire student body...this goes for any school

The tour guides were CCOM student ambasadors, who are selected to be representative of the student body. That was the only reason that I even mentioned my disappointment with the tour guides at all. I never said that I was judging the school based on them, but I still do think that it would be in the best interest of one who is looking to get clear information on the campus to have a staff member do the tour, and then let the interviewees have lunch with the students to get their perspective.

Does this change my opinion of CCOM overall? Not really. I merely mention it for the benefit of people who have yet to interview so that they may prepare themselves better for their interview day. Now I'm sorry that I even posted it on here.

Kate-

when do you find out about CCOM??

Not until the first week of April probably. I guess that they are interviewing again for CCOM the week of the 24th, then they will meet sometime the week of the 31st.

I did learn that they interview M-F and they interview for one program at a time. So I guess next week is interviews for PA and the following week for another of their programs. So, they really don't interview every week for CCOM, which I had originally thought the case.

Not until the first week of April probably. I guess that they are interviewing again for CCOM the week of the 24th, then they will meet sometime the week of the 31st.

I did learn that they interview M-F and they interview for one program at a time. So I guess next week is interviews for PA and the following week for another of their programs. So, they really don't interview every week for CCOM, which I had originally thought the case.

Hang in there - I bet you get awesome news!

Hang in there - I bet you get awesome news!

Thanks, but sometimes I think that at this point it almost would be better for me to get a rejection. If I am accepted it would really make it a difficult decision between the two schools. I really don't know what I would choose at this point.

We are putting our house up for sale next week and have pretty much gotten ourselves prepared to move to FL (Husband has been interviewing for jobs out there already).

I know what you mean. It sucks having loose ends when you just want to get on with it already!

At any rate, I'm glad you're husband is behind you. I've been throwing out several scenarios (with my loose ends still open) to my husband and he's a little more reluctant to change. He'll come around though :)

Good luck either way!

The tour guides were CCOM student ambasadors, who are selected to be representative of the student body. That was the only reason that I even mentioned my disappointment with the tour guides at all. I never said that I was judging the school based on them, but I still do think that it would be in the best interest of one who is looking to get clear information on the campus to have a staff member do the tour, and then let the interviewees have lunch with the students to get their perspective.

Does this change my opinion of CCOM overall? Not really. I merely mention it for the benefit of people who have yet to interview so that they may prepare themselves better for their interview day. Now I'm sorry that I even posted it on here.

I'm glad they haven't changed your opinion of CCOM....no need to be sorry that you posted it on here...

at least you weren't as bad as a couple SDN'ers on here a few pages back ridiculing CCOM b/c they thought an interviewee was "too dressed up" and "fake"....now that is just wrong

Our tour guides were informative, but acted like it was one big party at CCOM. I thought maybe you had that experience too :)

This is a common complaint for all schools. Yes, medical students do have time to party on the weekends. Students who talk like this probably just think that the people interviewing there are just as interested in this as they would be...they're obviously wrong as it's a common complaint among interviewees on SDN. I've luckily never had a tour guide like this at any of my interviews...but it's a good lesson for anybody who might be a tour guide in the future--talk abouty our school unless somebody asks about your social life.