2023-2024 Midwestern University (Chicago, Illinois) CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Midwestern University (CCOM) Secondary Essay Prompts:

1. List any relative who is an osteopathic physician:

2. Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking? (1500 Characters)

3. Why should CCOM accept you into this year's class? (1500 Characters)

4. Upload a copy of your resume or curriculum vitae, which will include, but not be limited to the following information:

• Educational History (colleges attended and degrees earned)
  • Employment History
  • Medically-related work and volunteer experiences
  • College extracurricular activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
  • Community activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
  • Hobbies and nonacademic interests

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Secondary received, same prompts as last year:

1. List any relative who is an osteopathic physician:

2. Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking? (1500 Characters)

3. Why should CCOM accept you into this year's class? (1500 Characters)

4. Upload a copy of your resume or curriculum vitae, which will include, but not be limited to the following information:

• Educational History (colleges attended and degrees earned)
  • Employment History
  • Medically-related work and volunteer experiences
  • College extracurricular activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
  • Community activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
  • Hobbies and nonacademic interests

Would it matter if we chose to upload a Resume instead of a CV? I feel like uploading a CV would just be me restating all of my primary without as many details.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I received an email stating my application had been marked complete. Anyone know how long it takes after this email for them to make an interview decision? Also, does CCOM accept updates to your AACOMAS?

I received an email stating my application had been marked complete. Anyone know how long it takes after this email for them to make an interview decision? Also, does CCOM accept updates to your AACOMAS?
Also does anyone know if we have to keep checking the portal or if they notify via email? not sure which portals i have to check daily on. also curious on when DO schools start sending out IIs

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Also does anyone know if we have to keep checking the portal or if they notify via email? not sure which portals i have to check daily on. also curious on when DO schools start sending out IIs
they send out emails

Was anyone able to add paragraph breaks to their secondary essays? They seem to disappear on the verification page.
No I wasn't able to either. I don't think it's possible with their software

No I wasn't able to either. I don't think it's possible with their software
Was anyone able to add paragraph breaks to their secondary essays? They seem to disappear on the verification page.

if you read the supplemental application instructions it states they remove all formatting from essays.

Can someoen tell me about their experience at CCOM and plans to pay back the insane tuition?

Just going to leave this on all the schools I applied to, I did receive secondaries from every DO school:

Submitted all 16 DO Schools on 5/28/23... Verified 5/31/23

States: 3.73 Science, 3.77 Overall, 501 (125/122/127/127) and 508 (125/125/127/131)

For this school, secondary received: 5/31/23

Can someoen tell me about their experience at CCOM and plans to pay back the insane tuition?
Incoming student so I haven’t had much experience with CCOM directly yet, but did do a graduate program here. So far the school has be super welcoming and the faculty is really encouraging which has been nice. I don’t understand the high tuition, it’s not like we have state of the art facilities. Many students complain about this, including myself. Most of the time the response is that we have a great clinical simulation center and rotation sites compared to other DO schools. Again, haven’t interacted with that much but will be in a few weeks. I applied and received a full tuition scholarship, so I’m thankful for that. There are scholarship opportunities you just need to find them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Incoming student so I haven’t had much experience with CCOM directly yet, but did do a graduate program here. So far the school has be super welcoming and the faculty is really encouraging which has been nice. I don’t understand the high tuition, it’s not like we have state of the art facilities. Many students complain about this, including myself. Most of the time the response is that we have a great clinical simulation center and rotation sites compared to other DO schools. Again, haven’t interacted with that much but will be in a few weeks. I applied and received a full tuition scholarship, so I’m thankful for that. There are scholarship opportunities you just need to find them.
Woow what were your stats if you don't mind me asking, I actually got accepted last year and should be starting in August but I'm thinking of withdrawing and not becoming a doctor anymore because of the tuition and time etc.

Woow what were your stats if you don't mind me asking, I actually got accepted last year and should be starting in August but I'm thinking of withdrawing and not becoming a doctor anymore because of the tuition and time etc.
Stats not stellar, but 4.0 graduate GPA. I’ll say my scholarship did not come from midwestern, they just helped me find the opportunity! So don’t be afraid to talk to them. There are also military scholarships, medical corp and other scholarships if you are worried about the cost!

Has anyone received an II from CCOM yet?
Nope, completed secondary around mid/late-May. Last year, the first round of interview invites went out around mid to late August, so I'm assuming it'll be like that this year as well.

the DUMBEST login portal lol

Why would they have us apply through AACOMAS just to ask for a resume in their secondary smh.

is this questions, "Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking?" a why us question?

is this questions, "Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking?" a why us question?
I interpreted the question as that with an emphasis on osteopathic medicine!

I will be headed to fellowship next July. After that I'm considering PSLF for 5 more years at a 403(b) vs a higher paying private practice job and paying off the $400k over a few years. Honestly it's not really that big of a deal as I'll still have >$100,000 after taxes per year in income to do whatever I want with.

A few years ago we were told it was due to the cost to fund the medical students at their rotation sites. The Caribbean schools kept driving up the price to get their students into into the surrounding Chicagoland hospitals, but CCOM blocked this by further raising the tuition to keep these sites away from the Caribbean schools. Not sure if this is completely correct, but it's what we were told. Goeppinger also makes an astronomical amount. It's publicly available what she pulls in per year if you are interested. Regardless I'm grateful I was accepted at CCOM and it got me where I wanted to go.

Has anyone received an II? Over the past few years, the first round has gone out by now, so just wondering.

At the AACOM Virtual Expo, I recall someone from admissions saying they will begin sending them out within the next few weeks.