CCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are many of the rotations in the city? Or are they more suburban? It would be pretty cool to live at least the 2nd two years closer in to the city!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if CCOM offers any sort of preceptor program during the first two years? Or if the curriculum is regular lecture or systems based?

I have been scouring their website for more info....:rolleyes:

Are many of the rotations in the city? Or are they more suburban? It would be pretty cool to live at least the 2nd two years closer in to the city!

Most of the rotations are in the city except for some in the suburbs like Cook County Hospital, etc. Living in Chicago is very expensive but then again commuting to Chicago from the suburbs everyday is a pain in the ***.

Members don't see this ad :)
Man I am so excited about CCOM. The more I look over their website, the more I want to go. Just submitted their secondary on Friday so here goes :)

Anyone care to chime in about how they organized this ridiculous requirement of attaching a CV that contains the EXACT same info as the primary? Except the hobbies, that's new. But come on, just ask that, then!

Specifically:

1. Did you organize it into the same categories listed on the secondary (Edu. history, employment history, medically related work and vol. exp., etc)?

2. Did you repeat any entries (Ex: Listed a clinical job in "employment," "medical work exp," and "leadership")?

This seems like a dumb question, but I'm torn as to how best present this info and whether I need to follow their outline.

Anyone care to chime in about how they organized this ridiculous requirement of attaching a CV that contains the EXACT same info as the primary? Except the hobbies, that's new. But come on, just ask that, then!

Specifically:

1. Did you organize it into the same categories listed on the secondary (Edu. history, employment history, medically related work and vol. exp., etc)?

2. Did you repeat any entries (Ex: Listed a clinical job in "employment," "medical work exp," and "leadership")?

This seems like a dumb question, but I'm torn as to how best present this info and whether I need to follow their outline.

I just organized it exactly how they asked for it. I do not think I duplicated anything in categories.. but it was difficult to decide what to put where. I just went with it though.

I just organized it exactly how they asked for it. I do not think I duplicated anything in categories.. but it was difficult to decide what to put where. I just went with it though.

Thanks! How many pages did it end up being?

Anyone else feel like sharing?

I haven't tackled their app yet, it is on my plate for tomorrow morning. I already have a resume with most of the info they ask for on it. It is one page. If I am going to squeeze everything they ask for on there while being extremely brief, it will have to be at least 2 pages.

Mine was 3 pages in length but spaced and organized for easy-viewing :)

Hey Chocolate bear,
My CV last year ended up being exactly one full page. Here is how I organized it:

Name
Address
Education
Honors and Awards
Employment experience
Extracurricular activities
Hobbies
Future Plans

I got this format online from some Formal CV writing website. Honestly, don't worry too much about the format. The above format should do it, but make sure you include everything.

mine is about 2 pages, but i didn't use their exact headings...

name
address
education
employment
volunteer activities
shadowing
extracurriculars/hobbies

Where did you guys put shadowing? And are you guys clumping shadowing as one activity like on the AMCAS app?

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you guys put shadowing? And are you guys clumping shadowing as one activity like on the AMCAS app?

I have 5 docs whom I shadowed. I think I'll put each different doc as a separate occurrence, listed chronologically among my other items in the "Extracurricular and Volunteer Work" section.

Is anyone else having trouble entering the essays? Mine won't allow new indents for paragraphs and hitting enter (like aacomas) won't space them out either. Any suggestions?

I almost feel like that might look tacky. I'd rather do one large paragraph. thanks for the advice though:D

Is anyone else having trouble entering the essays? Mine won't allow new indents for paragraphs and hitting enter (like aacomas) won't space them out either. Any suggestions?

There were other secondaries that had this problem. I think VCU did. I would just try spacing it in your Word file as you copy and paste and it might show up to them as formatted.

even with multiple spaces/"enter" hits, both of my essays turned out as one big paragraph. oh well, it's done YAY!

if we're applying this early, how long is the expected wait before we hear anything more...one month??

even with multiple spaces/"enter" hits, both of my essays turned out as one big paragraph. oh well, it's done YAY!

if we're applying this early, how long is the expected wait before we hear anything more...one month??

Hey.
Last year, I ended up sending my secondary application around the same time (may be a week earlier, i think) as you. However, it took some more time because my DO wasn't able to get my LOR in sooner. Anyway, I got an interview invite from CCOM in the first week of September. What I have heard is that they have updated their networks and if you have gotten everything in by now, you might here something by the third week of August. Good luck.

Hey.
Last year, I ended up sending my secondary application around the same time (may be a week earlier, i think) as you. However, it took some more time because my DO wasn't able to get my LOR in sooner. Anyway, I got an interview invite from CCOM in the first week of September. What I have heard is that they have updated their networks and if you have gotten everything in by now, you might here something by the third week of August. Good luck.

awesome thanks!!

Hey.
Ah, I hope to finish by this weekend. I'm out of town all next week but I am moving and need to prep for 2 lectures to teach tomorrow. I really need to finish another school before I finish CCOM. AHH. That would be awesome, to have an interview at CCOM by the end of August!

hypnix - i hope this means you've finally been verified??

Yes sir. I forgot to update the Verification thread. It took about 37 days I think. Are you verified if not, about how long have you been waiting?

Yes sir. I forgot to update the Verification thread. It took about 37 days I think. Are you verified if not, about how long have you been waiting?

Awesome, that's good to hear. I am verified but remember your name on the verification thread since we submitted on the same day. Good Luck with secondaries!

I merged the original discussion thread with the created one. Sorry it wasn't done earlier - lots of us are getting ready for rotations, are on rotations, or are moving.

Folks, remember: we made threads for discussion of every DO school for you already. Links can be found in the stickies at the top of the forum.

:)

Good luck everyone. :luck:

Awesome, that's good to hear. I am verified but remember your name on the verification thread since we submitted on the same day. Good Luck with secondaries!

Thank you! Spent all day packing and now using what remaining energy I have to work on at least one secondary before going out of town for 5 days tomorrow! :(

I just got an email from CCOM (2am EST) titled 'Why Consider CCOM?' with some selling points of the school. Anyone else get this email, and why are they mailing it out at 2am? lol

I'm doing the CCOM supplementary. How does one upload the CV? I click browse, select file, open...and then. er. there isn't an upload button or something anywhere. I tried firefox and internet explorer so I don't think i'm missing something.. but... HELP please!:eek:

I got it too...I think because I have not filled out the secondary yet so they want the complete application fast...with money...I am guessing though :D

I just got an email from CCOM (2am EST) titled 'Why Consider CCOM?' with some selling points of the school. Anyone else get this email, and why are they mailing it out at 2am? lol

hahah i got one too. accept me and i'll let you educate me!!! :D

I'm doing the CCOM supplementary. How does one upload the CV? I click browse, select file, open...and then. er. there isn't an upload button or something anywhere. I tried firefox and internet explorer so I don't think i'm missing something.. but... HELP please!:eek:

I use Firefox too so it shouldn't be the browser. I don't remember it being overly difficult - maybe log off and see if it works when you log back on? If there's still a problem, you can call the office early this morning.

If you were able to select the file and hit "choose" or whatever it says in the box, and the box went away, you have uploaded. Try saving, then coming back. Instead of "CV Unavailable" on the right hand side of the CV section, it should have a blue link that says "CV Document" (if it worked).

I got it too...I think because I have not filled out the secondary yet so they want the complete application fast...with money...I am guessing though :D

i got one and im complete there. sounds like this email was pretty indiscriminate.

or maybe ccom just loves all of us on sdn!

same here. this thread should get pretty exciting in the next few months. good luck everyone!

yay! hope we all get some interview love too!!!

Just got my CCOM secondary!!! What a pain in the butt huh? How long did most of you take to complete this?

Just got my CCOM secondary!!! What a pain in the butt huh? How long did most of you take to complete this?

Not too long. Under 3 hours. But I had similar essays from other secondaries to work off of.

Not too long. Under 3 hours. But I had similar essays from other secondaries to work off of.

cool thanks...how long should I wait to do this...do you think if i cant get to it for a week its a problem?

can we send our letters of rec from interfolio? becuase it doesnt say that we can on the CCOM website. and i would have to list the address myself on interfolio..............

Did you guys put Hobbies and Non-academic interests in your CV?

Did you guys put Hobbies and Non-academic interests in your CV?

I put two non-academic/medical related things on this CV. I didn't go into too much detail because I'll save that stuff for a potential interview.

can we send our letters of rec from interfolio? becuase it doesnt say that we can on the CCOM website. and i would have to list the address myself on interfolio..............

Yeah you can. I didn't see the address on the website (only briefly looked, though), so you may need to call them, so you can provide it to Interfolio.

Status
Not open for further replies.