CCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so for those that went on a tour to ccom, tell us more about the school? anything that would give us insights about clinicals, programs, professors, friendly? and so on.. THANKS..

they give you a tour during your interview

Members don't see this ad.

Probably a question better suited for one of the "secondary application" threads, but I thought I'd ask:

Anyone received a secondary for CCOM yet? If so, when did you submit your primary. I'm beginning to get a little antsy in my pantsy.

is CCOM still ONLY 160 seats, when are the increasing the class size, just wondering, since i hear all med schools were increasing class sizes very soon....lol make it now, haha

When I was a first year we had 175ish. Im a fourth year now, and we have 166, so I am having difficulty understanding how we crammed 166 people into 160 bodies...

Members don't see this ad :)
sooo....care to share the q's for those of us who are still being verified?:D

or if they are the same as in the secondary thread you could confirm them..

1. List any relative who is an osteopathic physician
(list name, relationship, osteo college attended, year of graduation)

2. Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking? (1,500 characters)

3. Why should CCOM accept you into this year's class? (1,500 characters)

4. Upload a copy of your resume or curriculum vitae, which will include, but not be limited to the following information:

* Educational History (colleges attended and degrees earned)
* Employment History
* Medically related work and volunteer experiences
* College extracurricular activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
* Community activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
* Hobbies and nonacademic interests

Application fee: $50

Oh what a pain in the ass. I hope they reject me pre-secondary.

Aren't those two essays the same ****?

hmm, i haven't heard from them yet! is it an online app? or pdf?

1. List any relative who is an osteopathic physician
(list name, relationship, osteo college attended, year of graduation)

2. Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking? (1,500 characters)

3. Why should CCOM accept you into this year's class? (1,500 characters)

4. Upload a copy of your resume or curriculum vitae, which will include, but not be limited to the following information:

* Educational History (colleges attended and degrees earned)
* Employment History
* Medically related work and volunteer experiences
* College extracurricular activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
* Community activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
* Hobbies and nonacademic interests

Application fee: $50

Thanks!!!

yay thanks so much for posting this!

Members don't see this ad :)
Verified on July 2nd and no email from CCOM. Come on!!

50 bucks is cheap guys for a secondary aps as compared to other medical schools there

I am grateful for any application under 75 anymore. Touro was 100. NYMC was 100. A few others were too I think

Touro NY = $200

I think that's the record.

That is why I didn't apply there. I didn't have enough of an interest to live IN NYC. But it is a supposedly good sign if they send you a secondary. A medical school would NEVER send you a secondary just for the fee....that is unfathomable. *cough*

I wonder if I'll get the CCOM application soon. I guess I'd need to revise my resume just a bit, but I suggest they aren't business people and I can remove the various coding and tech things I do.

OUCOM is only $40, but there is that little clause after your medical education ;).

Yea..the clause doesn't bother me, so I applied. I grew up in the midwest. Parts of Ohio are only a couple hours from family. Anyway, kind of my fault that it got off topic. So lets keep it to ccom! :p

I haven't visited yet, but CCOM seems like a great place. I absolutely love Chi town, and this place seems to be an optimal distance away from the city so as to avoid the terribleness that is Chicago traffic/parking, but close enough to have fun on the weekends. Anyone have thoughts? Visited?

OUCOM is only $40, but there is that little clause after your medical education ;).

Bacchus, I heard about this! I can't remember which schools specifically! Can anyone explain the specifics of this "fine print"? I'm really interested to hear about it...not because I applied to OUCOM or anything.

Bacchus, I heard about this! I can't remember which schools specifically! Can anyone explain the specifics of this "fine print"? I'm really interested to hear about it...not because I applied to OUCOM or anything.

Their site is very vague about this, and apparently it's not as bad as we think/thought. But it's something along the lines of having to practice in Ohio for 5 years post-residency. There are ways out of it, though. One costs a few hundred grand, and the other involves, I don't know, primary care or something??? Can someone fill in the details, please?

I haven't visited yet, but CCOM seems like a great place. I absolutely love Chi town, and this place seems to be an optimal distance away from the city so as to avoid the terribleness that is Chicago traffic/parking, but close enough to have fun on the weekends. Anyone have thoughts? Visited?

live about 20 mins away. have family in downer's grove, which is your pretty typical chicago suburb. but, it's close to the city, and (i'm biased, but) chicago is THE BEST CITY to live in! there's something for everyone. for people from warmer climates though, it may take a while to get used to the cold cold cold winters, especially since chicago winters go through half of what is supposed to be spring.

and you're right about parking and all in the city, avoid driving if/when you can. the CTA is your friend.

live about 20 mins away. have family in downer's grove, which is your pretty typical chicago suburb. but, it's close to the city, and (i'm biased, but) chicago is THE BEST CITY to live in! there's something for everyone. for people from warmer climates though, it may take a while to get used to the cold cold cold winters, especially since chicago winters go through half of what is supposed to be spring.

and you're right about parking and all in the city, avoid driving if/when you can. the CTA is your friend.

Yeah I've spent several long weekends there and could absolutely live there! What's Downer's Grove like? Is the school adjacent to suburbs? Did I read something about it being surrounded by woods? What else can you tell us?

Thanks for the input!

I don't want to retract from this thread anymore but the paper contract and the online description for OUCOM do not jive in my opinion. I have emailed them and will post to the OUCOM thread regarding this when I get an response. I'm hoping I get CCOM's secondary soon.

Does anyone know if this really means characters? 1500 characters is not a lot. 1500 words is quite a lot.

I'm banking on characters.

Thanks for the help! Next time I'm in the Chi will either be for an interview at CCOM, or else I make sure to check the place out.

BTW the record high density of Sears Catalog Homes and the fact that Macho Man Randy Savage graduated HS there have practically got me packing my bags, already!

no way! man, what else do you need in a town?

Yeah I've spent several long weekends there and could absolutely live there! What's Downer's Grove like? Is the school adjacent to suburbs? Did I read something about it being surrounded by woods? What else can you tell us?

Thanks for the input!

yea, there are lots of woody areas. it's your basic upper middle-class suburb-- its a SW suburb, about 50 mins away from the heart of downtown chicago and like 40 mins away from o'hare airport. not much to do in the suburb itself, unfortunately, but it has a pretty homey feel

yea, there are lots of woody areas. it's your basic upper middle-class suburb-- its a SW suburb, about 50 mins away from the heart of downtown chicago and like 40 mins away from o'hare airport. not much to do in the suburb itself, unfortunately, but it has a pretty homey feel

Thanks! Yeah I kinda like living in the suburbs, just because our dogs will likely be much happier. I would like the option of going to the city on the weekends, but 50 min? I was hoping it didn't take that long. Oh well. I don't think I'll be heading to Northwestern any time soon, either...

What's up with DO schools teasing us with cool cities, anyway? I just found out that Touro originally set up shop in San Fran, then moved 2 years later to MI. Lame.

50 minutes? Is that by train or by car?

car, but more like 40 w/out bad traffic. i'm better with trains/buses in the city, so i'm not sure exactly how to leave downer's grove via public transportation. i believe there is a metra station there that will take you out of the city, and you can easily park at the station to avoid driving in the city.

hooray CCOM is my first secondary!

Wait till you come back and have 5 in your email box.

Then you don't know where to begin!

haha exactly. i agree, its exciting for the first few, but then you wake up to "Please complete this supplemental application in the next 5 minutes, including letters of recommendation, or this computer will self-destruct." and they start to get a little overwhelming.

honeymoon is already over? :p
haha thanks guys!

The honeymoon is already over! But at this point I only have 3 left to do.

What's the marriage metaphor for impatiently waiting for a procrastinating DO, when you have applied to several schools that require his letter? That's the stage this admissions marriage is in. Lame. :thumbdown:

The honeymoon is already over! But at this point I only have 3 left to do.

What's the marriage metaphor for impatiently waiting for a procrastinating DO, when you have applied to several schools that require his letter? That's the stage this admissions marriage is in. Lame. :thumbdown:

I'm in your same boat!! I have 11 schools that are waiting on........my DO letter! AND THATS IT! ughhrr! she was supposed to have it on interfolio yesterday! frustrating.

I am waiting for a letter especially for CCOM. I have a DO and MD letter already, but this guy was a graduate of CCOM and his super stoked to have me going there, so I'm holding out for a little while.

The main downtown station (by the Tivoli) will have express trains during peak hours, and local the rest of the time. Express trains will take ~25min into the city, local 45-60 min(some have more stops than others). Anyway, I grew up in good old DG, so anyone with questions can PM me. Good luck!

don't worry guys, my school's committee doesn't get letters sent out til MID-AUGUST via virtual evals. and i was pretty much told, though not in these exact words, that students applying to MD schools are first on the list of priorities, so who knows where i even stand :confused:

Good luck to everyone who is applying to CCOM this year. I went through the application process last year, so if anyone of you have questions, shoot me a PM. I will be glad to help. Have fun with the applications and remember CCOM is a great school!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.